*ORIGINAL THREAD* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather (2 Viewers)

rich110

Portal Pro
July 16, 2005
Melbourne
Home Country
Australia Australia
I've recently started using your plugin instead of MP-RSS following support from some of my preferred skins (X-Factor and Monochrome). Trouble is, it cause MediaPortal to crash and throws up the following error:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: mediaportal.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2.42485
Problem Signature 03: 4a04b3db
Problem Signature 04: InfoService
Problem Signature 05: 0.6.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a2937c5
Problem Signature 07: a8
Problem Signature 08: 10f
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5129

Read our privacy statement:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

This occurs with versions 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and 0.71 of the plugin, and with both skins mentioned above (I made sure to update the #rssfeed and #rssimg references for later versions of the plugin). Generally, after a clean install of the skins, the error occurs after about 30min of MP use (I think it may happen when either RSS or Weather refresh?). After the first crash however, the error occurs during the "Loading Windows Plugins" period of the MP loading sequence. I have tried having just the weather enabled, just the RSS enabled, and both enabled (I don't use twitter).

This is driving me crazy. It's happening on a Vista 32bit (with SP2) machine that was only installed about 2 weeks ago. Running MP 1.0.2. Any ideas?

Cheers, Rich

@rich110 and ivanskj.:Ok, i must look into that, when im at home. Can you send me your MediaPortal.log ? Would be nice if you set the Debug level in MediaPortal->Configuration->General->Debuglevel to Debug and run MediaPortal till it crashes. But you can send me your normal MediaPortal.log without debug level too, but with debug level its easier for me. It would be also good if you send me your used feed url.

hi edsche, thanks for having a look at this.

I have attached the logs as you requested (cleared old logs prior to each debug, set MP to debug mode) - I was using the X-Factor skin. I have attached 3 sets of logs:

1. Logs with plugin enabled, and Mediaportal.exe crashing after almost exactly 30 min
2. Logs with plugin enabled, and Mediaportal.exe crashes during the startup sequence
3. Logs with plugin disabled, and Mediaportal.exe running without a crash for about 30min.

The RSS feed I use is: The Sydney Morning Herald News Headlines

I should note, the "crash" appears as a windows pop-up window saying "Mediaportal.exe has terminated unexpectedly" (or words to that effect) but MP continues to operate unaffected in the background. The same thing happens when the crash occurs at startup, if I do not click on the error pop-up, MP loads normally in the background. Obviously, when I hit the "Do you wish to close the program" button on the error pop-up then MP closes.

As I suspected, the plugin is set to refresh the weather every 30min - the exact time that the error pop-up appears (RSS is set to refresh every 15min).

Hope this helps and look forward to any news. :D

Cheers, Rich

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
I've recently started using your plugin instead of MP-RSS following support from some of my preferred skins (X-Factor and Monochrome). Trouble is, it cause MediaPortal to crash and throws up the following error:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: mediaportal.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2.42485
Problem Signature 03: 4a04b3db
Problem Signature 04: InfoService
Problem Signature 05: 0.6.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a2937c5
Problem Signature 07: a8
Problem Signature 08: 10f
Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 5129

Read our privacy statement:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

This occurs with versions 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and 0.71 of the plugin, and with both skins mentioned above (I made sure to update the #rssfeed and #rssimg references for later versions of the plugin). Generally, after a clean install of the skins, the error occurs after about 30min of MP use (I think it may happen when either RSS or Weather refresh?). After the first crash however, the error occurs during the "Loading Windows Plugins" period of the MP loading sequence. I have tried having just the weather enabled, just the RSS enabled, and both enabled (I don't use twitter).

This is driving me crazy. It's happening on a Vista 32bit (with SP2) machine that was only installed about 2 weeks ago. Running MP 1.0.2. Any ideas?

Cheers, Rich

@rich110 and ivanskj.:Ok, i must look into that, when im at home. Can you send me your MediaPortal.log ? Would be nice if you set the Debug level in MediaPortal->Configuration->General->Debuglevel to Debug and run MediaPortal till it crashes. But you can send me your normal MediaPortal.log without debug level too, but with debug level its easier for me. It would be also good if you send me your used feed url.

hi edsche, thanks for having a look at this.

I have attached the logs as you requested (cleared old logs prior to each debug, set MP to debug mode) - I was using the X-Factor skin. I have attached 3 sets of logs:

1. Logs with plugin enabled, and Mediaportal.exe crashing after almost exactly 30 min
2. Logs with plugin enabled, and Mediaportal.exe crashes during the startup sequence
3. Logs with plugin disabled, and Mediaportal.exe running without a crash for about 30min.

The RSS feed I use is: The Sydney Morning Herald News Headlines

I should note, the "crash" appears as a windows pop-up window saying "Mediaportal.exe has terminated unexpectedly" (or words to that effect) but MP continues to operate unaffected in the background. The same thing happens when the crash occurs at startup, if I do not click on the error pop-up, MP loads normally in the background. Obviously, when I hit the "Do you wish to close the program" button on the error pop-up then MP closes.

As I suspected, the plugin is set to refresh the weather every 30min - the exact time that the error pop-up appears (RSS is set to refresh every 15min).

Hope this helps and look forward to any news. :D

Cheers, Rich

Wow, thats a bugreport, thanks ;)
I think, i found the problem. It's definitely the weather service. There is something wrong in the downloaded xml (a tag is not found or something). try a different weather location (ex. Ulm (Germany) works without problems). Please give me your weather location, so i can debug ;)

edit: Argh, but thats not explaining that it works for the first time :/

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi edsche,

My location is Nelson, New Zealand (NZXX0026 at National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report). It is quite a small town, so it might not have all the elements/info of the bigger metropolitan centres, therefore it is quite possible a certain parameter/information that the plugin is looking for may be missing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers, Rich
Found the error. There is a problem with your city. sometimes the weather data can be fetched sometimes not, even if i look at the xml with the browser. It doesn't work also if i look at the normal weather.com site for your city (see screenshot) I've tried that with Sydney, and it works everytime.

Here is the weather.com link for your city: Nelson Weather Forecast and Conditions New Zealand

At the moment 7:30 AM GMT+1 it doesn't work. Dont know why. Seems weather.com has some problems with some citys.

I can catch the error, but the weather won't be necessarily actual for you, when the plugin updates the weather.

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    134.8 KB

rich110

Portal Pro
July 16, 2005
Melbourne
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thanks edsche... I'm just glad you found the cause. I'm not too worried if the weather data isn't updated every refresh event (if the website has no data) - just as long as the plugin doesn't fall over. It would also be good if the plugin displays the old/stored data if no new weather info is availible following the latest refresh (to stop the plugin showing "#feed" dialogs on the homescreen.

Thanks for the ffort and look forward to the new version. :D

Cheers, Rich

ivanskj

Portal Member
June 2, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Yesterday it stopped again, I checked with the weather browser in mediaportal, "an error occured, could not download weather data" or something like that. I think maybe there is an error with my city to..

Do you think it would be possible to fetch data someplace else than weather.com?

maybe it's best to use old stored data intead of refreshing with data that may not be relevant if the error occours?

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
Yesterday it stopped again, I checked with the weather browser in mediaportal, "an error occured, could not download weather data" or something like that. I think maybe there is an error with my city to..

Do you think it would be possible to fetch data someplace else than weather.com?

maybe it's best to use old stored data intead of refreshing with data that may not be relevant if the error occours?
If there is a weather site that provides their data as xml, i could catch the weather from there. But i don't know any other than weather.com

Yes sure, if there is no weather data the old values will be visible.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    hi edsche! i have few additional suggestions :)

* use alternative label for location, #location is already used by rss-ticker.. or use this template for all the properties #infoservice.xxx

* when you fill up the listcontrol, set #objectcount property (GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#itemcount", Util.Utils.GetObjectCountLabel(iTotalItems));)

* you can set feed name in plugin configuration.. is there any way to access that name later?

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

The xml looks like it is much work to implement that :p Anyway a good alternative. Thanks. I'll note that for future versions, but for the next version i think i'll add the things from SilentExcept and make some bugfixes.

hi edsche! i have few additional suggestions

* use alternative label for location, #location is already used by rss-ticker.. or use this template for all the properties #infoservice.xxx

* when you fill up the listcontrol, set #objectcount property (GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#itemcount", Util.Utils.GetObjectCountLabel(iTotalItems))

* you can set feed name in plugin configuration.. is there any way to access that name later?

* Yes added that already. Hopefully the last change of the property names, sorry

* Add that ;)

* No at the moment not, i make a new item with that

Thanks for suggestions ;)

Users who are viewing this thread