Please Please Please, MSN Plugin (1 Viewer)

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
November 21, 2006
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I am a .NET (C#) developer in "real life", but have never touched the MP guts. I know there is some code out there for working with the MSN protocol and DLLs, but that's it. Anyone who knows more than I do about this, I'm willing to lend a hand.

I am also interested in doing AIM connectivity too.

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am a .NET (C#) developer in "real life", but have never touched the MP guts. I know there is some code out there for working with the MSN protocol and DLLs, but that's it. Anyone who knows more than I do about this, I'm willing to lend a hand.

I am also interested in doing AIM connectivity too.

someone mentioned using GAIM, which does all of them, then we could have MSN/AIM/Yahoo etc.

I think that the MSN plugin would be a nice touch for any MP PC.

Maybe people like you and developers of MP should all get together and help make it. Can't be that hard?

I don't know any C programming, i've not even tried learning it lol. But, if we could have a completely new GUI for the plugin then it will help make using it easier, even if you just use a remote over a keyboard.

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
November 21, 2006
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
One of the downsides to GAIM is the lack of camera support. I don't know much about AIM, but the MSN Messenger product upon installation should have a DLL or ActiveX control for camera in/out. If so, then it can be "hooked" with .NET...

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
One of the downsides to GAIM is the lack of camera support. I don't know much about AIM, but the MSN Messenger product upon installation should have a DLL or ActiveX control for camera in/out. If so, then it can be "hooked" with .NET...

yea good point, because you should be able to combine the .net features from MP and MSN, because they're both built on .net, right?

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have found an IM sometime ago, which is written in C# and has support for AIM and MSN. It's still not finished, but it looks promising. It can be found here: https://shaim.bountysource.com/
    The developers have created two libraries for AIM (https://oscarlib.bountysource.com/) and MSN (https://msnlib.bountysource.com/) support, which they use in the IM, but also can be used in other applications. They are not finished, but perhaps they are useful for a MP plugin.

Regards,
    MsiterD

andreavb

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I'd like a good msn plugin too! I have a remote keyboard and with the OSD messenger sometimes it exits when typing ENTER after I write a message, so the message is sent but I lose the OSD. It would be nice to have a better interface that fits well on screen. even in the full screen messenger it is not clear where messages start and end and some of then hide characters in the right corner. is there some work in progress on the MSN plugin?

MP is great and I love it much than MCE! keep up the great work

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    I really think the MSN plugin should be worked on, it'll make a nice feature. I can't even get to talk to people on mine, i sign in and select a contact and it comes up connecting and thats it lol.

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
    November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I looked into Trillian recently. I bought the "pro" version, the camera support is really good, I've used it to video-chat with Mac OSX-using folks (pseudo AIM). The Trillian developers don't seem to be the most developer-friendly-developers though... Also, the latest Windows Live is not compatible with Trillian for video any more.

Argh.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Done a bit of searching and it looks like Microsoft is releasing a Windows Live Messenger API which should make this plugin more feasible?

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread