raspberry pi (2 Viewers)

Printerman101

Portal Pro
April 5, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all
anyone tried running mediapotal on a raspberry pi board? Quit interested to see how it would go. Could potentially be a tiny little player...

Printerman101

Portal Pro
April 5, 2012
Home Country
Ive looked online and it seems that xbmc will comunicate with mp as the server.
Im ignorant in these things so im hoping someone can give a bit more detail.
Can xbmc be used on linux to talk o mp? If so how does the setup work?
I love messing on with stuff like this and id love my content on main mp pc to be available elsewhere.

Thanks all.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No it wont work the way you desire.

XBMC with hacks is able to use the MP tvserver for watching live TV, but that is it as far as it gets regarding communication between xbmc and mp.

You can not use XBMC as a MP extender.

You can access media shared on a network using XBMC, but it would run 2x seperate databases for the media, and to set that up you would need to ask on the XBMC forums, not the MP forum.

Last edited:

Printerman101

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply. So xbmc is a media player without tv? Sounds limited unless im missing something.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah if you could get android going on it then you could run ampdroid app.

Personally I wouldnt buy a Pi for a media centre, it is too slow. From what I've read XBMC runs really choppy if you have a regular sized media library. Have to wait until they release more powerful alternatives.

Last edited:

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=694
    MP as server and R-PI as client works this way but no SD ofc (missing mpeg-codec) and HD requires some overclocking (still running out of buffers).
    It's fun to play with but not a serious htpc-replacement if you need/want TV atm.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the reply. So xbmc is a media player without tv? Sounds limited unless im missing something.

XBMC Standard version doesn't support live TV, but with mods it can use tv server from other software, eg. MP TV Server / MythTV / there might be others but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread