raspberry pi (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just read that the latest version of Raspbmc has been released (RC5), making it really nippy and stable when using as a front end with the mediaportal server. Has anyone been using this on a day-to-basis? If so, I would be really grateful for your general impressions.

I am thinking of getting a Pi for my TV in the kitchen.

Thanks

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Further to my last post, I have also noticed that the Pi is unfortunately only Ethernet 100. Am I at risk of slowing my Gigabit network down or can I mix and match (i.e. only connections to the Pi will slow down)?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Great - thanks for confirming that. Was a bit of a worry.

Anybody out there using the Pi at the moment with Raspmbc?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Ah well spotted - Erichzann, which of the XBMC versions are you using on the Pi - Raspbmc or Openelec?
I have read a recent review that confirms that as Openelec is much more trimmed down, it loads up in half the time and responds generally better.

Also, has anyone got any advice on what power supply to use and what size/brand/class of sd card to use? I have also heard that using a pen drive can really speed things up. Is this true?

TheEngineer0815

Portal Member
December 18, 2011
Kärnten
Home Country
Austria Austria
So i have a Pi at home now!

My main Problem is that i don't get Audio via HDMI.
My Second Problem - Live TV is Loading Showing my Records from MePo but not Starting it and its is not Loading the TV and Radio List.

I have tried Raspbmc and XBIAN.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    As far as I know, OpenElec is the "best" Pi build atm.. But you need to buy Mpeg2 codecs (about 2 or 3 $) if you want to playback TV. Those are not included in any Pi solution. And the PI is not capable playing DTS or DolbyDigital audio. You need other audio formats or a "passthrough" Device (like AVR)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So movies having only a DTS or DD audio format are dumb? Or are those just played in 2.0?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Pi can not recode DTS or DD to Stereo in realtime while playing Video, not enough power. Only Bitstreaming is possible. So you need a device that is able to decode DTS /DD itself (like an AVR) or a movie with (e.g.) Mp3 audio track to have audio available... Normal TVs can not play bitstreamed DTS alone, so you don't hear anything...

Users who are viewing this thread