SAF v4.00 ''stable'' (StandAlone Filters) - DXVA ready (H.264 and VC-1). (5 Viewers)

Should i integrate FFDshow in to SAF?

• Yes

Votes: 406 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 14.5%

• Total voters

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
hoborg, I have discovered that playback of .mov videos stop working in MP after SAF is installed, but if SAF is installed prior to installing QT alternative and QT source directshow filter playback works fine again. Thanks to an earlier post in this thread, I also discovered that the problems with playback of videos over the network were solved by simply disabling auto thumbnail creation.

Thanks again for all your great work and terrific support!

MOV with h.264 will be working, but if you MOV is from camera etc, you need to rename them to *.MOVSD - it is writen on first page.

I hear what you are saying Hoborg, but it sounds a little bit weird / unusual.

It is working normally if you install SAF and then QT things.
If it is done the other way around, I need to rename things... Isnt it easier for me to do it like the first option? or are there downsides to that..?

Of course it will be working, but say goodbay to DXVA in MOV files....

sndlogic

Portal Member
May 19, 2009
I have just installed the new beta and for the first time I'm having some trouble. There's no problem with getting the right codecs to kick in for the right material, so that's nice. As I have said before I use analog stereo out. TV with ffdshow audio works nicely, but for everything else (DVDs and HD-rips) I am just hearing one sound channel in my speakers. Playing a DVD I only hear the music, but no speech or anything else.

It's really strange because I have used both ffdshow audio and AC3Filter before without any problems, and I have never configured any of them very carefully. I can even get DVDs to use the MS audio codec instead, but that produces the same result! That makes me think that it isn't the codecs that are causing the problem. I have also set both AC3Filter and ffdshow to output stereo sound, but it didn't make any difference.

Logs are attached!

configure audio output (FFDshow + AC3 fiter) to use stereo output format.

in the new beta you have for ac3filter on the system tab
waveout as default. this causes wmv 5.1 output not to work properly

not true, Direct sound is set as default...

on my clean installation it wasnt and it was causing exactly the problem
as above is posted only rear speaker sound through front speakers and no speech

Sorry but where is this 'system tab'? Having same problem (Win7/MP11b).

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Seems I spoke too soon, I'm still seeing de-interlacing problems with Cyberlink decoder 8.4.0.330 and Cat9.5 with DXVA enabled, so I've had to disable it.

I might try downgrading to Cat8.5 sometime to see if it works OK with that but MP uses less than 5% CPU on my Client with Live/Recorded TV anway, so it's not really worth worrying about.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MOV with h.264 will be working, but if you MOV is from camera etc, you need to rename them to *.MOVSD - it is writen on first page.

If it is done the other way around, I need to rename things... Isnt it easier for me to do it like the first option? or are there downsides to that..?

Apparantly I too am having poor reading skills...

One question, though, what about MOV files in e.g. Online Videos as they can't be renamed before streaming? I have relatively limited knowledge about different video formats and containers. Is DXVA important also for MOVSD or only for h.264?

yunti

Portal Member
June 10, 2008
I'm a new mediaportal using and currently using Windows 7 x64, but not sure how to best set up codecs.

I'm debating whether to use the approach as outlined in this thread (but it seems to apply to all versions of windwos and i'm aware that windows 7 has a lot more inbuilt codecs) or to go with this windows 7 method outlined here.

Ultimate Guide To Codecs For Windows 7 Media Center | Windows 7 News

ie If i set up the codecs to play properly in windows media centre will that mean they are setup to play in mediaportal?

Thanks

Ticiano

Portal Pro
August 16, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Hoborg, you know if is possible to do Dolby True HD to DTS convertion with some freely available filters and if you can include this option in SAF?

I have this to use with BDs with Arcsoft TT. It's really unusual this kind of audio packed with the video files we're used to play, but if it's possible, I think it would be a nice feature to have.

Synthetic

Portal Pro
March 23, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
OK, installed latest beta (15) and added QTLite + Medialooks Plugin, now everything works fine except WMV im trailers of gametrailers. I tried 2 different plugins (my trailers and online videos) and both of them seem to start the video in most cases (shows the first picture) and sometimes they play the first split second of video sound but then playback seems to stop (although MP counts on in the video progress bar).

Can you help me please? I'm on Windows 7 x64 (no Beta)

WMV is decoded by microsoft decoders, not SAF one.

OK, I tried playing Gametrailers in the browser and it works, IE worked out of the box with no problems, Firefox showed the same behaviour as MP but after installing WMP plugin it works too, so Codecs should be present and working, but not in MP, why is that? :confused:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hoborg
    with regards to aac decoding.
    im still using saf3.47 (bc i use MP1.0.2), but i am using ffdshow video/audio and ac3filter with saf
    i see latest beta you went back to monogram, presumably because a user had stuttering live tv with ffdshow
    i think ffdshow should still be used for videos:aac, because it supports multichannel aac properly
    i think monogram should be used for live tv:aac, because it works better with live tv, and also there are no multichannel tv aac broadcasts (they use ac3 for multichannel HDTV)
    anyways, that's my opinion.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Good point... :) Thanks

Maybe you could add this info about DXVA being the reason to rename the files, in the first post.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    One question, though, what about MOV files in e.g. Online Videos as they can't be renamed before streaming? I have relatively limited knowledge about different video formats and containers. Is DXVA important also for MOVSD or only for h.264?

Online Videos (apple trailers) are h.264 and you only need SAF to watch them (no need to install qt alternative).

If you have MOV from camera etc, you need to install QT alternative +MediaLooks QT Source direct show filter (+ reinstall SAF) and rename them to MOVSD to watch them.

Hoborg, you know if is possible to do Dolby True HD to DTS convertion with some freely available filters and if you can include this option in SAF?

I have this to use with BDs with Arcsoft TT. It's really unusual this kind of audio packed with the video files we're used to play, but if it's possible, I think it would be a nice feature to have.

What exactly you want to do? I didnt think that is possible do it in real time, so you need to use some video editing software to convert Dolby True HD to DTS. Xvid4PSP didnt work here?

OK, installed latest beta (15) and added QTLite + Medialooks Plugin, now everything works fine except WMV im trailers of gametrailers. I tried 2 different plugins (my trailers and online videos) and both of them seem to start the video in most cases (shows the first picture) and sometimes they play the first split second of video sound but then playback seems to stop (although MP counts on in the video progress bar).

Can you help me please? I'm on Windows 7 x64 (no Beta)

WMV is decoded by microsoft decoders, not SAF one.

OK, I tried playing Gametrailers in the browser and it works, IE worked out of the box with no problems, Firefox showed the same behaviour as MP but after installing WMP plugin it works too, so Codecs should be present and working, but not in MP, why is that? :confused:

That is question to Online Videos i think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom