MP2 - Spring'16 ServiceMonitor tray icon not visible after resume (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After resuming from standby the service monitor tray icon is no longer visible on my system. The server is working correctly though and I can launch the client to use MP2.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Are you sure its not visible? Maybe its hidden? Does it appears if you expand the notification area?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately yes, I am sure. There are no more icons to be displayed, it is simply missing. I noticed this today but was busy fighting with Dokan and did not systematically test.

The icon is there upon fresh start.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Some new Information:
    • Fresh start: Icon visible - Green
    • Resume:
      • Icon visible - Red
      • A few seconds later the server gets reconnected - Icon disappears
    Am I the only one who has this problem? Note that I am running aspik's branch with the installer testing activities. Maybe this does work correctly in the official release.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    This is an Windows 10 issue. I also have similar issues.
    Here when I start or stop the server (to install something for testing or so) the Monitor Icon disappears or sometimes I suddenly have two of them, one red and one green. Aside this the main window of the monitor pops up at a really small size and stay there. All those issues never appeared on Win 7 (or Win 8.1) so it is related to Win 10. But nevertheless we need to find a solution...

In general Win 10 is not that good base for a MP2 installation (also I'm using it too). Lots and lots of small issues that never happens on Win 7... This here only is one of those nasty things. The overall stability of MP2 has decreased a lot since the upgrade (a fresh install) to Win10. Sadly most people are forced to upgrade to Win 10 as the free upgrade is time limited and this time nearly is over now... I suspect the buggy Intel GFX drivers as the root cause for most of those issues...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is an Windows 10 issue.
    Well, that's a matter of perspective. I would rather think that it's an issue of MP that we don't fully understand yet. The consequence is that we should understand the reason for this. As you said we need to look into it and find a cure.

In general Win 10 is not that good base for a MP2 installation
    I trust that Microsoft has thouroughly described its software and hardware interfaces. Chances are that "home-grown" software packages are not 100% compliant. That said, Windows 10 did have bugs, but so had previous OS versions.

I suspect the buggy Intel GFX drivers as the root cause for most of those issues...
    My main MP1 client is frequently crashing (Intel gfx driver fault - need to be restarted). Unfortuneately this then requires the whole PC to be rebooted, otherwise MP is no longer working. While this is annoying, it is certainly not the reason for the disappearing icon.

Question to the team: Who takes ownership for assigning this element to him (or her? I never abandon my hopes ;) )

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, that's a matter of perspective.
    Ok, but exactly the same happens with original Win10 icons too, sometimes. It is not limited to MP2, so I don't believe the root cause is inside MP2.
    Something like the latest bug in the TVDB API causing meshed up episodes titles. Since today we have a workaround available for this external bug. Maybe we can find something to cure this too...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, but exactly the same happens with original Win10 icons too, sometimes.
    Hhm, we sure don't want to chase ghosts. But my own perception is that the Windows 10 stuff (the little that I am using) is working correctly. I also run some other non MS software and never ever did I experience anything like that.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had this with the "USB" and the "Audio" icon too. Both are core Win10 parts...

Users who are viewing this thread