skining tutorial? (1 Viewer)

tacroy

Portal Member
March 3, 2005
Is there a skinning tutorial anywhere? I expected a sticky or something, i searched the wiki but just got hundreds of not helpful results.

If anyone could link I would be most greatful and return the favour with a skin in due time.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    There isnt really one, you just have to get your hands in and get them dirty. The XML language used is very simple to work with, you just have to get the hang of finding the correct file to edit.

There is also a skin editor you can try and use but Im not familiar with its progress.

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    No tutorials unfortunately. Just take a look at the existing skins to get an idea of how skinning is done. I think the skin editor is a bit behind with all the new stuff that Smirnoff has been putting in recently. For the new stuff read the sticky at the top of this forum.

If you have skinning questions, just post them here or come on the IRC channel.

SOUNDYTIM

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2006
    So am i rite in saying the best way to learn to do a skinn is to ermm try.i been looking for a tutarial thingy too for ages.is there other software that ill need to skin i already have the editor ohh and photoshop wich im not so bad at.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    SOUNDYTIM said:
    So am i rite in saying the best way to learn to do a skinn is to ermm try.i been looking for a tutarial thingy too for ages.is there other software that ill need to skin i already have the editor ohh and photoshop wich im not so bad at.

Your right, that's it. Best way is probably to copy one of the existing skins and modify it. This way you don't have to start from zero.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas :)

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    There is documentation in the works...but if i was just starting out, i would probably start with an existing skin and modify it, for the reasons stated above.

BigCheese

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Germany
    hm...
    just a silly question: why no wiki for skinning? so everyone who have already knowledge here can bring in his wisdom and write online in the wiki?
    perhaps it would be a good chance to bring ab great tips and tricks...

bye,
    Bigcheese

SOUNDYTIM

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2006
    BigCheese said:
    hm...
    just a silly question: why no wiki for skinning? so everyone who have already knowledge here can bring in his wisdom and write online in the wiki?
    perhaps it would be a good chance to bring ab great tips and tricks...

bye,
    Bigcheese

Great idea big cheese what i found was that if i wanted to edit a file i would have to find it in the team portal skin file.Then edite it on photoshop the results were good. However i got no were with the editor and thats why i need a good wiki for skinning.I indeed have some good ideas for making an impresive skin :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread