[confirm] some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6 (1 Viewer)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
it's encrypted, just like allmost all channels I receive. I used to watch it a lot, but since the RC versions are released in a furious tempo, I'm not sure if this bug is introduced by a RC version or if it's just my provider :s
Since the update/cleanup procedure of the MP installer is quite unreliable in my experience I'm a bit reserved to go back and install/uninstall previous versions.
I wish I could ask my provider if anything changed to certain channels (or if I could find this info somewhere on their website) but they refuse to help you or give you any answers if you use your pc to watch tv (This provider in CAIWAY to be exact :) )

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

There definitely seems to be a bug, in the updateing/deleting function of the channel scanning process, because scanning runs fine, but the channel names are not changed, osolete channels are not removed, and existing channels are not correctly updated.
    The only thing that helped in my case was deleting the respective channels, and rescan.
    The newly found channels work correctly.

cheers
    joystick

could this relate to the fact that I imported my channel list after installing RC6?

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

hmm well the channels are scanned correctly, so the transponderslist is ok, but not updated/moved/deleted by MP (I think there is a bug/feature in mantis around on that, right), that's why I did not notice that there is a change, for i actually did an update scan.

Are you saying that when I do a new scan, the data of the changed channels is not updated and the data of the channels in the new scan is not used? I have a problem where just one channel (Comedy Central) crashes/freezes MP. Deleting the channel and rescanning doesn't help up to now :(

I am not aware of such a problem

Then what is the problem that joystick is talking about? As I understand it, he scans his frequencies in MP config, but the channels that need an update, are not updated...So channels that got a new frequency from the provider, are not updated in MP after the scan. Do I understand correctly?

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

corrrrrrect! :)

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

There definitely seems to be a bug, in the updateing/deleting function of the channel scanning process, because scanning runs fine, but the channel names are not changed, osolete channels are not removed, and existing channels are not correctly updated.
    The only thing that helped in my case was deleting the respective channels, and rescan.

cheers
    joystick

could this relate to the fact that I imported my channel list after installing RC6?

Oh man! That's been a problem since ages!
    I thought the team did this on perpose for some reason because it was so obvious.

Well, to be specific:
    I knew old channels were not deleted when scanning.
    I knew that channels that don't work anymore after importing your exported channellist from a previous version, still don't work after a rescan. Only deleting the non-working channels and rescanning helps.
    I did not know that channelnames are not updated after rescanning, when they are changed by the provider.

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

cheers
    joystick

Honestly, that's what I thought also, but noone else seems to have this issue...., actually I would't have raised it, but I wasn't aware of the frequ. change of my provider and thought there is another bug in MP, because I just updated MP to RC6 when my provider changed freq.
    Murphy's law....

:)

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Re: AW: some channels fail to tume(unable to start graph) rc6

cheers
    joystick

Honestly, that's what I thought also, but noone else seems to have this issue...., actually I would't have raised it, but I wasn't aware of the frequ. change of my provider and thought there is another bug in MP, because I just updated MP to RC6 when my provider changed freq.
    Murphy's law....

:)

I think most people don't bother to report these bugs, because they are not that serious and can be overcome. I think everybody thinks like "Oh well, my channels don't work anymore, must be a general MP or update problem, I just throw all (or part of the channels) away and scan and sort again." And as long as you do a clean scan everytime you install a new version you don't notice this. It's just when channels are changed and you want to update the list. Then people will notice and try to work around it without bugreporting.

Jari74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi,

I have same issue. I need to use still this pre-historic 1.0.1 MediaPortal because it's still only version which working fully when using TV. So:

- RC5 to RC6 upgrade
    - new channels scan (about ~50% of my normal channels missing, tuning hanging) Only way to finnish tuning is "disable" diseq and scan only one antenna at the time and this antenna needs to be position 1.
    - when try watch any of these channels I will get unable to start grapch, channel is scrambled etc etc. messages

Logs attached, log.tar = TV Server TVlog.tar =MediaPortal

When I return my system back to 1.0.1 level, scanning works, all of my channels work etc.

Uhh, I almos forget:

- iMon version 7.89.0622 (0x380208) or newer is not compatible on MediaPortal Minidisplay driver v29_11_2009. Could someone update that driver?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Guys, you really need to calm down. Sure there might be a bug.

If MediaPortal is not performing to your satisfaction, please ask for a refund!

Oh, wait, it's free!

Right, now I've made my point, please bear in mind that the team spend huge amounts of their own time for no reward. The difference between any two successive versions of MediaPortal is a testament to the skill and hard work of the developers.

Sometimes things go wrong. Bugs creep in. When they do, the team work on verifying those problems and fixing them. In order to do that, we need good reports.

If there is a problem with channels not being updated on a scan, I would suggest the following.

1. Delete all of your channels, import your old channels and do a rescan. You are expecting the old channels to be updated. Did this happen? Provide logs. You may also need to provide the exported channel information so that frequencies can be compared.

2. Delete your database and create a new one. Scan channels fresh. Do the problem channels work? Provide logs.

Right now, all I am hearing is complaints that things are not working. Look through this forum. How many of the bugs reported turn out to be user error?

Again, I don't get paid to help people here. I do it because I want MediaPortal to be as good as it can be. You have no right to demand help and fixes. But chances are you will get both, eventually!

Right, now take a step back from all of this, and please try to work out whether this is a general MediaPortal problem/bug, a problem with your TV provider or just a problem somewhere between the operator and the keyboard.

Best wishes,

Mark

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

hey elliottmc,
    you must be misunderstanding, really.
    I am totally relaxed, just wanted to state, why I did/did not report the issue ....

honestly, i do not understand your anger in total, I am an active member of the community aswell, and noone did flame you or the MP team, at least from my point of view.

cheers
    joystick

Users who are viewing this thread