Tools for skin (1 Viewer)

darkkiller

Portal Member
March 20, 2007
Hey!

I have a small and fast question :).
If i want to create a new skin, which tools which you recommend me for creating pictures and so on?
Which tools are the most common ones ?

J

joostzilla

Hey!

I have a small and fast question :).
If i want to create a new skin, which tools which you recommend me for creating pictures and so on?
Which tools are the most common ones ?

The best software for creating images is Photoshop.
Its the most professional application on the market. (and expensive too :( )
A free alternative is 'Gimp'

n4orcer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I use Notepad++ for editing the XML files, great set of features. Find and Replace in files for a specific folder is an awesome thing. :) For GFX I use Photoshop, just remember to keep source files saved, if/when you want to change that one pixel that makes your GFX look crap and you did not save a proper source files, you will hate yourself.

Good Luck! :)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    First and foremost, investigate how other skin graphics are made for the effect the skinner is trying to achieve. Start with using a current skin and modify the graphics to suit your need. Play with color and pattern and also transparency effects in the alpha channel. I started with graphical changes in the Default skin, then making adjustments in the xml's to move or resize them for my needs... or visa-versa, make changes in the XML's to change the font size, them move the posX or posY values to make things fit. The Default skins are deliberately designed to showcase the capabilities of MP, and are a good starting point for the beginning skinner.

Currently, the MP skin editor doesn't work well with all the new changes in MP 1.2, so, whenever it is updated, it will be an invaluable wysiwyg xml editor for skinners.

most of all ... have fun.

- Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread