Turn On TV with Remote (1 Viewer)

CGT

Portal Pro
January 8, 2012
Hi,

does any of the remotes which are support by MediaPortal have a possibility to turn on my TV. Maybe a 'learn" function for infrared?

Thank you!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The original MCE remotes can, some of the MCE clones can, most can't
    Otherwise can just use a harmony remote (or any learning remote) with an MCE compatible IR receiver

Last edited:

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Thank you! Can I configure the MCE remotes in a way that a push of of the power button wakes up the TV and the HTPC?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The original MCE remote has 2x seperate power buttons, 1x HTPC PWR button + 1x Learning PWR button.

MCE clone without 2x seperate power buttons can not do this.

If you had a learning remote you can assign one button to power htpc and one button to power tv.

If you had a smart learning remote eg. harmony can assign one button to send 2x IR signals.

Last edited:

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Hey kiwijunglist,

I just saw you edited the post.

Looking at the Logitech Harmony 300i: Can I use it with the IR receiver which came with my DVBSky S952 DVB-S2 Twin Dual (it's not USB)? Will the signal wake up the HTPC?
    I am a bit skeptical about waking up the HTPC with the remote signal because it did not work with a Hauppauge 45 button remote which came with the NOVA-S2-USB... however, pretty much nothing worked with this...

Can I use a pre-defined profile from MediaPortal e.g. the MCE one?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It depends on the receiver

2 ways you can do it

1. Have harmony learn all the IR signals from the remote that came with the TV Card
    2. Set harmony to MCE profile, and then use MP MCE mode (This may or may not work depending on the IR receiver, some receivers can do this, some can't)

If the power button on your existing remote doesn't wake the HTPC then you havn't set up the receiver correctly

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    With the Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter it is possible to.
    TV starts when MePo/htpc wakes up and TV is switched of when MePo/htpc goes to sleep
    You don't need a seperate remote for the htpc. The TV remote is steering the htpc.

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Hi, thanks. Unfortunately the TV is too old to have the appropriate buttons for the HTPC (neither does it have HDMI)

Regarding the Harmony: In the worst case I can still buy a separate IR receiver instead of the one which came with the TV card, right? So have I havn't managed to use the receiver with the stock remote or a Hauppauge one..

Illuminator

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you! Can I configure the MCE remotes in a way that a push of of the power button wakes up the TV and the HTPC?
    Maybe a good old Master/ slave multiple socket is allyou need??? The remote must be able to turn on the HTPC of course...

Users who are viewing this thread