TV Server doesn't detect my AverMedia M780 digital card (1 Viewer)

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm using the M780 with TV server. Have been for about 8 months. I have never had any problem with the card being detected or being able to scan digital or analog tuners. I use both analog and QAM (from cable).
I'm running XP Pro SP3 with the latest drivers from AverMedia (2.5.0.29)

zzhumphreyt

Portal Member
November 20, 2008
Home Country
There must be something different between Vista and Windows XP then. The digital tuner of this card works in Windows Media Center on Vista, and from reading other posts about this card on Vista it works in other programs too, just not MediaPortal. If I can help the devs in any way to get the digital tuner of this card to work I'm all ears.

rickyman

Portal Pro
February 5, 2008
i am wondering does anyone know how to scan QAM channel on Avermedia M780. If someone knows how to do it, please post the step on how to do it.

Thank you

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
Under MP Server Configuration, select the server and tuner card and then select the check box for Tune QAM. You can select the "QAM Standard" tuning file for use in the US or something more appropiate for your location. I put together a "QAM US Standard" tuning file that extends tuning frequencies all the way up to 1GHz as defined for the US if you are interested.

Vindii

Portal Member
October 19, 2008
Home Country
Can anyone confirm that the M780 can pick up QAM channels in vista and mediaportal? I have 2 of these cards and TV server just detects the analog tuners.

zzhumphreyt

Portal Member
November 20, 2008
Home Country
Can anyone confirm that the M780 can pick up QAM channels in vista and mediaportal? I have 2 of these cards and TV server just detects the analog tuners.

It's a known issue that MediaPortal doesn't support the M780 under Vista.

I just want to add that supporting the digital tuner under Vista is more important to me now than when I initially responded in this thread. Until this month my cable company had all their channels available in analog or digital, but now only basic network channels are available under analog, everything else is now digital. It's not just about getting HD channels now it's about being able to watch TV at all; the analog tuner is essentially worthless to me now.

To the devs, someone should really look at getting this card, or the underlying issue resolved. There's now a general trend away from analog channels that's beyond the over the air digital conversion. Thankfully for me the Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 was able to come to the rescue.

Vindii

Portal Member
October 19, 2008
Home Country
I in stalled XP and it detected the tuners correctly. Still having a hard time picking up QAM channels. Only picked up 1 and 9 others that where encrypted. Most of the analog channels look terrible too.

Might try an antenna for OTA HD.

CloFan

Portal Member
April 30, 2009
Arkansas
Home Country
I just wanted to bump this thread instead of making a new one, since it has a lot of information.

I was able to get MP to recognize that the card had two tuners by using the .30 drivers, however its Type is "Unknown" in the list, and won't show up for configuration when the server is expanded. The latest drivers, .31, don't show that the card has a second tuner at all. I'm not sure how to Re-Register a filter, as DMAN suggested- if someone can tell me how to do that I'd gladly try it out. I have not tried the .19 drivers, but from the looks of this thread they don't work.

Basically I'd love to continue using Vista if at all possible. But if I have to revert to XP, then I have to revert to XP. Has anyone tried to install MP in compatibility mode for XP? I might give that a try.

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueWide
Windows Version: Vista Enterprise (Business) SP1
CPU Type: Intel E5200 2.5Ghz Dual Core
HDD: Western Digital 1tb, Western Digital 40gb
Memory: 2gb Kingston DDR2 800
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
Video Card: Nvidia 7100 (onboard)
Video Card Driver: 7.15.11.7813
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Avermedia M780 Combo
1. TV Card Type: analog, ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: 2.9015.0.30
2. TV Card: ATi TV Wonder 600
2. TV Card Type: Hybrid analog & ATSC
2. TV Card Driver: 5.7.831.0
3. TV Card: ATi TV Wonder 600
3. TV Card Type: Hybrid analog & ATSC
3. TV Card Driver: 5.7.831.0
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Suddenlink Communications
HTPC Case: IN WIN IW-BT611T.300SL
Cooling: Stock HSF, extra quiet case fan
Power Supply: Supplied with case
Remote: Avermedia MCE remote
TV: Envision L32W761
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

uncertainty

Portal Pro
September 29, 2007
NYC
Home Country

It's a known issue that MediaPortal doesn't support the M780 under Vista.

I just want to add that supporting the digital tuner under Vista is more important to me now than when I initially responded in this thread. Until this month my cable company had all their channels available in analog or digital, but now only basic network channels are available under analog, everything else is now digital. It's not just about getting HD channels now it's about being able to watch TV at all; the analog tuner is essentially worthless to me now.

To the devs, someone should really look at getting this card, or the underlying issue resolved. There's now a general trend away from analog channels that's beyond the over the air digital conversion. Thankfully for me the Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008 was able to come to the rescue.

Has anyone been able to get the avermedia m780 to work under vista with the TV server? This is the last issue keeping me from using the TV server in Media Portal and finally not have to use Media Center anymore.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom