TVService not closing, timeshift freeze: Disable EPG. (1 Viewer)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is the bugtracker that I found: View Issues - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Not sure about how bugs are being filed. I understood Cybertex is a MP developer, so I think that would be his decision anyway. I was just surprised that, regarding the severity, he confirmed the bug and nothing was filed, or maybe I overlooked it.

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    This is the bugtracker that I found: View Issues - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Not sure about how bugs are being filed. I understood Cybertex is a MP developer, so I think that would be his decision anyway. I was just surprised that, regarding the severity, he confirmed the bug and nothing was filed, or maybe I overlooked it.

Hello, and sorry for my "silence". No, I'm not a developer. I'm in "Portal Member" group because I helped to take italian translation up to date; nothing to do with code ;)

BTW, I still have the problem (at least until pre RC1 SVNs; not tried yet with RC1), but my problem now is the time... In these months I'm pretty busy in real life, so I was not able to complete an exhaustive test of the whole thing: I found time ago, after several testing, that idle EPG was the cause of some weird problems on my TVServer (I wrote the post), and stop. No more time to complete the test :(

Maybe in the next weeks I'll be able to continue. In the mean time, maybe someone else could test the thing. My path of testing would be:

- find out if this is a "time" condition (i.e. if idle epg grabber "break" tvserver after some time, nevertheless channels scanned)
    - find out if this is a "channel" condition (i.e. if a single channel being grabbed is the cause of the problem)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Same here. Very sad, I would very much like to have a radio EPG...

I like your test plan, and I would like to help out too, but I must say I fear this could be very time consuming, I mean *waiting* for the server to freeze under a multity of possible conditions.

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Same here. Very sad, I would very much like to have a radio EPG...

I like your test plan, and I would like to help out too, but I must say I fear this could be very time consuming, I mean *waiting* for the server to freeze under a multity of possible conditions.

Yes, it is time consuming. A lot of different configurations, and a lot of time to wait for the problem :)

More, my tvserver/mediaportal pc is now "mission-critical" for my wife... "What? Still not working??" :D

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, we need a fix, and we need it soon!!! :D

So my suggestion would be to file the bug like this:
    + TV server freezes when DVB EPG grabbing is on
    + both radio and TV are affected
    + Confirmed for DVB-S / Hauppauge Wintv Nova-S Plus
    + Confirmed for <your card>
    + To reproduce:
    ++ Select all channels and all languages in TV/Radio EPG settings
    ++ Activate idle and timeshift EPG grabbing
    ++ wait an undefinite period of time, approx. 30 minutes

Any developer should be able to reproduce the error that way.

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    A little news.
    I'm trying to do some testing for the problem, in these days. I hope to find enough time and to better define the situation.

Stay tuned.

ich4711

Portal Member
    August 11, 2007
    yepp, same problem exist in my setup

terratec cinergy s2 hd; whs; tve3; RC2; dvb epg grab for all channels enabled
    - after some correct grabbed channels the tv-service stops seems to hang
    - it produces log files but the epg grabber reports last entry in his log file gours ago.
    - without epg grabbing the problem disappears

is it a bug or is using dvb epg grabbing a not supported feature ?
    need aome log files for the devs ?

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hi folks!

same for me! after some time tvservice hangs, only killable by taskmanager. mediaportal hangs too, when accessing to tvservice.

greetings!

mario

jmbillings

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2008
    Ely
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just adding a me too.
    I encountered similar behaviour (in the latest RC3 SVN) and made a post back here. Hoping disabling the EPG while idle sorts it.

I notice this is labelled as "Fixed" though, and I couldn't see a bug listed still. Is turning off the EPG grab an official fix as opposed to a simple workaround? If so, perhaps a warning message should be set on that option when it's ticked or similar, so people are more aware. It's only when I did a more detailed search of the forum I found this thread and I've had the problem for a while now!

I'll be a happy bunny if this does cure it at least :D

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is definitely still there. Must be low prio... :( The only workaround I found is to turn off idle EPG grabbing only, so it will be updated at least when radio or tv is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom