UK bbc Iplayer (1 Viewer)

project2501

Portal Member
February 8, 2007
the version i have is just download but i read the streaming maybe on the way

elboxmano

Portal Member
February 6, 2008
You should be able to use it for streaming via mediaportal but we cannot currently achieve it via XBMC. Here's the scoop:

Streaming mp4 files is a pain in the *** it seams only the iphone can do it easily....Hence no streaming on XBMC.

However a work around has been found which will have two components:

A server program which simply downloads the bits of the file and joins them together streaming the bits..

And a client program which recieves the file. Now streamable. (not unlike the TV server trick with mediaportal as I understand it)

Problem is that with XBMC we can't get both processes running at the same time due to some python quirks.

It works on desktop PC.

It works from desktop PC server to XBMC

It works from one XBMC running server to another running client.

Doing both at once on the same machine however fails. Meaning that if you don't want to run a permininant server (currently a python script in IDLE interpreter( or use a second xbox to make things work) you're out of luck....for now.

However there's no reason I can see why this method couldn't be implimented on mediaportal. It already works on the same PC so it's simply about implimentation.

Check out the thread on XBMC Community Forum in the Python scripts and plugins requests and support section for more detailed breakdown and the scripts.

Hope that helps someone ;-)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    this sounds very interesting, hope it can be implmented.:D

I can only say:
    NO new features will be added to MP(1) in the near future. It's up to the community to make a plugin based on this (if possible).

Our plans is to release a bug free MP1. Adding new features to MP1 often breaks stuff somewhere else - one of the reasons to start MP2.

elboxmano

Portal Member
    February 6, 2008
    Could a mod please move this thread into the plugins section? I had invisigaed it would be made as a plugin but I hadn't noticed that it is currently not in the relevant section. Consequently it would be helpful to have it placed where those with the skills to impliment it are likely to say it.

Any coder trying this may also find the BBC's Backstage Mailing list helpful. I know it helped the XBMC developers.

Hope that helps guys and hope we manage something like this!

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could a mod please move this thread into the plugins section? I had invisigaed it would be made as a plugin but I hadn't noticed that it is currently not in the relevant section. Consequently it would be helpful to have it placed where those with the skills to impliment it are likely to say it.

Any coder trying this may also find the BBC's Backstage Mailing list helpful. I know it helped the XBMC developers.

Hope that helps guys and hope we manage something like this!

Hi there,

I've heard it's the iPod streams that are DRM-free correct? (Which is what XBMC uses - right?).

Is it not the same as with standard iPlayer (on the PC), that if you download the programme you get get better quality that if you stream it? So surely an option to download or steam would be best if this is true?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread