TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Is it possible to grab the UK cert rather than the US? ie U PG 12 12A 15 18?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi,

Is it possible to grab the UK cert rather than the US? ie U PG 12 12A 15 18?

Yes, adjust the rating system to 2nd option for UK and the BFFC ratings will be used.

You can also adjust the language setting so that British-English titles are used. That actually used to be the setting to control UK-ratings as well, but I've modified things a little when I added support for Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand rating. Since the rating dialog is sorted on alphabet (with US as 1st selection), you might not see the UK selection unless you scroll all the way down.

Let me know if you still got issues.

PS: Since the scraper-script is still based on the old method as well, using British-English titles also enables the UK-rating system still. Later on I will revise that to be purely for language, but for the time being thats still the dual setting it was in the past.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi Rochess thanks for the reply. I hadn't noticed that setting!!

So with this now set correctly.. is it possible to refresh only certs any way? 1000+ entries..

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi Rochess thanks for the reply. I hadn't noticed that setting!!

So with this now set correctly.. is it possible to refresh only certs any way? 1000+ entries..

That's what the setting "Refresh all fields" is about, with is disabled it only updates score+votes+certifications and not any of the other fields (unless they are empty/missing).

Once a movie has been imported those really are the only fields that require an update.

And then you just use the IMDb+ plugin hidden menu to refresh your entire collection. You can then just watch a movie or do something else.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    So I ran the update.. It generally worked but some movies remained on US rating. Examples :
    Defendor
    Flypaper
    Henry's Crime
    The I inside
    39 movies in total of 1032 so not bad :) Do you know why?

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    I guess if you check those films on IMDB you will find there is not a UK rating present.

For example from your list:

Henry's Crime:

Certification: USA:R (certificate #46304) / Singapore:NC-16 / Japan:G / Netherlands:6

There is no UK rating for the IMDB+ plugin to return.

Mew

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Is it possible to have imdb+ populate a UK rating when one does not exist based on some US <-> UK logic during scraping? In a future version of course

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Is it possible to have imdb+ populate a UK rating when one does not exist based on some US <-> UK logic during scraping? In a future version of course

Saw your question on MovPic forum to only refresh movies which lack proper certifications, which made me relook this thread and noticed I overlooked this last question of yours.

Yes, it is possible for me to do some sort of rudementary US -> UK rating conversion. Infact I already do that for many other country ratings, since they are not well represented at the IMDb website, such as for example 'Spanish'. So in that case I first look for the Spanish rating, but when one does not exists I fall back on a rough translation from USA rating into Spanish one.

The same can be done for UK, except there are a few risks involved.
    1. It will be impossible to know if the rating shown is a true BBFC based rating, or a 'bad' conversion. An empty rating corresponds properly to "no rating", so that a user can verify the respective websites and contribute a proper rating.
    2. As prude as they are here in the US, this can lead to recent examples such as "Bully (2011)" getting an R-Rating in the US, but in Canada (and I assume UK) the movie has a PG rating. But with a strict conversion this would lead to UK:15 conversion and not UK:12.
    But it is possible and if the average UK-user, prefers a rough conversion over an empty rating, then I'll be happy to add the modifications.

Regarding your MovPic thread question, I have some plans to add additional IMDb+ refresh methods alongside the 'All' and 'A-Z' methods currently possible. One of them is to only refresh movies with missing data, such as certifications. No idea on ETA though, my C# skills are far from ideal to do anything quick, so my hope lies with some of the contributers to speed things up :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi RoChess, thanks for looking into my questions!

On the MovPics forum I was wondering if it was possible to open the database directly to edit it or pass it SQL update queries to find and replace the US Certifications. But yes, having some kind of filtering to convert US Certifications to UK would be good.

The reason for this is I have a catagory list view of 'Certification' in the plugin. For instance I may want to browse all '18' Certificate films, but I also have a catagory of 'R' as well because aparently these movies didn't have the UK Cert to grab, only the US.
    Obviously in this instance, refreshing only movies 'Certification' would still not be succesfull. This would help though for when you have implemented a conversion :)

An automated conversion would be great if you could find the time to further update your plugin.

Thanks for all the work you do on it!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi RoChess, thanks for looking into my questions!

On the MovPics forum I was wondering if it was possible to open the database directly to edit it or pass it SQL update queries to find and replace the US Certifications. But yes, having some kind of filtering to convert US Certifications to UK would be good.

The reason for this is I have a catagory list view of 'Certification' in the plugin. For instance I may want to browse all '18' Certificate films, but I also have a catagory of 'R' as well because aparently these movies didn't have the UK Cert to grab, only the US.
    Obviously in this instance, refreshing only movies 'Certification' would still not be succesfull. This would help though for when you have implemented a conversion :)

An automated conversion would be great if you could find the time to further update your plugin.

Thanks for all the work you do on it!

If you look back at your MovPic thread, you will see that fforde replied with the SQL queries that can be used to manually fix it via a rough conversion. But yes for the IMDb+ plugin I had the plans to also add options to do the same. So instead of refreshing *ALL* movies, you will hopefully soon be able to refresh a wide range of other selections as well, such as for example "Movies with no Certification", "Movies with less then 1000 votes", but then for your problem I'll have to keep in mind to add one for "Movies with US certifications" as I don't think many UK-users will switch back to US ratings for the reverse to be useful.

So I hope you are patient, because it will take a bit before I got all that working, but I'm hoping to get to it this month.

Users who are viewing this thread