weather plugin say Invalid license key (1 Viewer)

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Weather license expired?

And may it have to be done soon above all.

It is a major feature, presented on prominent place to new/evaluating users right after the install and it will be an obsturction to keep MePo installed for them.

It is like installing Photoshop and the first thing you see is an warning, that no jpg-pictures can be loaded, because adobe wasn't able to pay the license for it...

Just my 2 cents, maybe your marketing/PR-people understand what i am talking about ;)

regards
resa

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Question is, is the limit on 500 request per remote IP-address or per API-key? I assume an API key is needed, if not then it is probably only limited to the IP, which would be more than adequate for our use.

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Question is, is the limit on 500 request per remote IP-address or per API-key? I assume an API key is needed, if not then it is probably only limited to the IP, which would be more than adequate for our use.

Its kinda both.

Local Weather API Request Limit
    We request our free local weather API users to not exceed 500 requests per hour and also follow proper caching of data at their end before making the request for same location within 15 min.

We are flexible on request limit, so if at any point you feel you are going to exceed 500 requests per hour then please do let us know.

But if it works for XBMC, why not here as well. Just give proper credit and they will be large?

BigB42078

Portal Member
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: AW: weather plugin say Invalid license key

Does each user need to set up a free account there, same as with last.FM? Is there a problem with that?

:confused:

Chuck

Your right I didn't see that, they should make that more visible. It says something about IP in the features, don't know what that means. I would think team Mediaportal would have to make an account. Although if it was possible to make individual accounts you would never hit the limit. That would make just about any of the free weather API's a valid replacement. Would have to add a login feature to the plug in, and maybe a hyperlink to the sign up page. Then drop the key in a directory somewhere.

I still don't know why google weather api wouldn't be an option. I know they say it's not supported and could disappear at any time. But there are alot of tutorials online on how to use it with online applications. Fancy Widgets for Android uses it for their weather. There's a little google emblem in the upper right corner.

:confused:

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    what is the problem that everyone get theyr own personal API key to use ?

The problem is that every user of MediaPortal has to go to an english website and create a user-account to request and API. Not really user-friendly...

Users who are viewing this thread