Which windows version for MP is the best (1 Viewer)

karajan

Portal Pro
October 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Anyone know it? Is XP SP3 better than windows 7 32 bits?

Thank you for any answer.

Mihael

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would have to recommend Win 7 and 64 bit if possible if your going to user system for more than just MePo - so you can add more RAM.

Also, MP2, still only in alpha, but getting there will be Win 7 only, no legacy XP support.

Cheers - JCMP

Tubs

July 9, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Windows 7 is the better (and more up to date OS). I've just set up a new MediaPortal using Win7 32bit and it has pretty much all worked out of the box.

But, you need to make sure you have drivers available for Win7, if you had slightly older hardware, that worked under XP SP3, there is no guarantee that Windows 7 has the drivers, nor that the original manufacturer supplies Win7 drivers. If you go for 64bit Win7 this is likely to be even worse. I've had to go for "generic" audio drivers as the motherboard manufacturer hasn't supplied Win7 drivers, and the audio isn't supported out of the box with Win7.

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Windows 7 is the better (and more up to date OS). I've just set up a new MediaPortal using Win7 32bit and it has pretty much all worked out of the box.

But, you need to make sure you have drivers available for Win7, if you had slightly older hardware, that worked under XP SP3, there is no guarantee that Windows 7 has the drivers, nor that the original manufacturer supplies Win7 drivers. If you go for 64bit Win7 this is likely to be even worse. I've had to go for "generic" audio drivers as the motherboard manufacturer hasn't supplied Win7 drivers, and the audio isn't supported out of the box with Win7.

I know your pain, I ended up just buying a new motherboard with everything on it. Only hardware is a tv card. all is much much more straight forward.

TE5LA

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is an acceleration in Windows 7 that is not available in XP. I've heard this is one of the biggest reasons for going Win7.

Users who are viewing this thread