Windows is coming to Raspberry PI (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
This release of Windows 10 will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT.
not sure if this can be applied to all users of RPi...
And I am curious whether MS guys will make DirectX support for that graphic adapter used in RPi.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    And i am curious whether MS guys will make DirectX support for that graphic adapter used in RPi.
    Indeed, that will be a big question: what will the DX support be like... and also what will the DirectShow support be like... or will it only have the cut down MF support like Surface 2.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Mmmm, that would be unfortunate. It may still be possible to run TV service on it.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The articles I've seen about Raspberry Pi 2 + WIn10 all talk about IoT (Internet of Things). For example

The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-new-raspberry-pi-2-now-with-windows-10-support/

Microsoft's Windows 10 for IoT: What to expect
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-10-for-iot-what-to-expect/

Msoft info, has link to sign up if you are really interested gory details.
    Windows 10 for Raspberry Pi 2
    https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It has now been released on the Raspberry Pi, and is indeed an IoT type of interface, but supports a GUI via the HDMI, which supports DirectX etc.

Has anyone had a play? I got it loaded and booted up, but I am not a coder, so couldn't take it any further.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if the tv server could run..u'd still need a way to plug in your tv tuner :/
    if it supported MP's client.. could do away with an expensive client PC.. although it can only support 1080p30 .. and it lacks a Blu-ray drive connection

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Agree. And i see no chance to get USB TV Tuner drivers for this platform (because none of hardware manufacturers are interested in doing that for their tuners)

Users who are viewing this thread