Storage (4 Viewers)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
Windows (exp. Windows Home Server) and FlexRAID... or Linux with FlexRAID ...I prefer Windows since I make my 24/7 machine do soooo many additional things (torrents, streaming from TV or from my MP3/video collection etc.) the things that made me run away from unRAID don't necessarily mean they should drive away other people too you...
Windows (exp. Windows Home Server) and FlexRAID... or Linux with FlexRAID ...I prefer Windows since I make my 24/7 machine do soooo...
hi guys, i currently own a big HTPC case (silverstone grandia) running 5 HDD, 1TB each. as my 5TB are reaching their limits i...
Replies
Views
OK, there are various faster non-hard-drive methods (SSD, RAMdisk, other kinds of flash memory) that should theoretically be better than cheap USB sticks, but what I'm saying is that a cheap USB stick is working perfectly for me (and has been for over a year) and cost hardly anything. And I'm using both DVB-S and DVB-T, SD and HD...
OK, there are various faster non-hard-drive methods (SSD, RAMdisk, other kinds of flash memory) that should theoretically be better...
i have tried a few USB Flash drives, with limited success - stuttering etc. My reserach indicates that some flash drives are...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 8 Port sata? DE
Sorry I have only just seen this thread. I have two of these cards in a server that I have just built. They do come with the full height brackets. They had the half height ones fitted and i just had to swap them over. Just make sure you get the right cables to connect your drives. I got 2 cables for each card. Mine required mini sas...
Sorry I have only just seen this thread. I have two of these cards in a server that I have just built. They do come with the full...
Does anyone know of any 8 or 16 port Sata II cards for pci-e? Not raid, just a sata controller. I can find lots for pci-x, but...
Replies
Views
Might it not be cheaper to get two seperate CF > SATA cards and then set the RAID1 through the motherboard? Here they sell'm for 15 dollars with free shipping.
Might it not be cheaper to get two seperate CF > SATA cards and then set the RAID1 through the motherboard? Here they sell'm for 15...
This smart DIY SSD adaptor looks flash to me. Excuse pun. Couple of cheap 4GB CF cards, and you're away with silent, low...
Replies
Views
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating System + Paging file + Mediaportal + Programs 5GB (D) - Timeshift drive 225GB (E) - Media Drive Set paging file size Min & Max = 2048MB (So it uses a fixes size = less fragmentation)
Agree with above, If using XP then you can get away with a lot less than 60GB for the OS. I would recommend 20GB (C) - Operating...
Looking to optimize my storage setup. I run MP1.0.2 on XP SP3 Mostly ATSC TV output over HDMI I have a single 250GB drive that...
Replies
Views
I used to use 2.5" SATA HDDs in my 2 client PCs, but I got fed up of the constant clicking noise coming from one of them. I think it was a Western Digital drive. I found out it was the over aggressive power saving feature on the drive trying to park the heads every 20 seconds or so. Since I use a server for everything and the only...
I used to use 2.5" SATA HDDs in my 2 client PCs, but I got fed up of the constant clicking noise coming from one of them. I think...
Is anyone using normal laptop drives in their HTPC. I currently have a Western Digital 500GB GP drive in my HTPC but I use...
Replies
Views
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my BIOS, it just Blue Screen Of Death and reboots. SO i decided to load the drivers, FAIL! I tried installing it manually using the add new hardware wizard; Putting in the Vista disk going all the way trough to...
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my...
ok so my 1TB drive was getting full so i decided to get 2 more dives and raid them. FAIL! when i turned on the raid option in my...
Replies
Views
Let me say this first, I'm not done playing with it lol I had set it up, setup my samba shares, ftp etc. I setup ftp to transfer all my existing media to it. (Copying within Windows is horrible) I let it go all night. Next morning I went to a mapped share I had done and it told me it didn't exist? So I logged into the nas machine...
Let me say this first, I'm not done playing with it lol I had set it up, setup my samba shares, ftp etc. I setup ftp to transfer...
Hello, I've tried searching here and at AVSforums for some answers, but can't find anything definitive. I'm in the midst of...
Replies
Views
try using Anydvd to limit read speed alternatively, nero drivespeed or cdbremse "CD-Brakes" may also work Also, some drives offer a firmware option for adjusting read speed.
try using Anydvd to limit read speed alternatively, nero drivespeed or cdbremse "CD-Brakes" may also work Also, some drives offer...
I have the following problem: I use a Sony BC-5600S BlueRay drive in my HTPC. Works good so far, but sometimes on playing DVD or...
Replies
Views
Didi you get any further with this project? I am looking at using a Fusion 430 case for my brother-in-law's build and want to be able to use one of the (limited) drive bays for storage rather than OS. A Compact Flash card would be a great way to free up the case real-estate....
Didi you get any further with this project? I am looking at using a Fusion 430 case for my brother-in-law's build and want to be...
Hi all, I'm new to MediaPortal, coming from windows media center. During experimenting i found out that's it's possible to run...
Replies
Views
Good point - it had not even occured to me to run Windows on a server, but yes, you could also do that. Again, it all depends what else you wanted to do with the server. For example, if you wanted to run a home CCTV service and a PBX, then I would personally chose Linux, but Windows is more user friendly if you don't already know...
Good point - it had not even occured to me to run Windows on a server, but yes, you could also do that. Again, it all depends what...
Can anyone tell me about pros and cons of using a NAS box as opposed to a server in terms of security? If I ran a linux server on...
Replies
Views
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/useful-posts-50062/
I have added this to the Useful Posts thread under the newcomers forum...
Dear Community, I would tell you a short story about my Segate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB HDD. Some days ago, my HTPC...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 BD drive issues DE
These LG drives are a a little tricky to use with drive speed limiting apps like nero, it works but takes some time to configure. Slysoft's drive speed doesn't work with the LG drive when inserting a burned DVD.
These LG drives are a a little tricky to use with drive speed limiting apps like nero, it works but takes some time to configure...
Hello! I am thinking of upgrading my HTPC and installing a BD reader (and/or writer), and I was thinking about the LG ones. The...
Replies
Views
I have messed around with this for awhile and am finishing my final setup now. I dont trust raid5 its just me, I wont trust my movies to raid at all unless there is a complete backup somewhere else which is what I am doing. The Clown used windows raid5 but you cannot expand a raid 5 array in windows you have to rebuild it over again...
I have messed around with this for awhile and am finishing my final setup now. I dont trust raid5 its just me, I wont trust my...
Hi all. I've been racking my brains on my little problem now for ages. Basically I am a Media Portal fanatic. The only time I...
Replies
Views
I've never had it crash on me, not once. And I've re-encoded over 100 BD rips with it so far. :) Maybe it's because I'm using XP yet? *knock on wood*. Hey, even if you re-encode 3 files in one weekend, that can free up 15gb of space. It's worth it, if you're not in a hurry.
I've never had it crash on me, not once. And I've re-encoded over 100 BD rips with it so far. :) Maybe it's because I'm using XP...
Hi all, I know this has been covered before but none of the threads have given me the option that I need. I've got a Samsung...
Replies
Views
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I hooked it up was re-format it to NTFS, and then I created two folders "Series 2" and "Movies 2", and shared those. I configured MP to get movies and TV series from those folders as well. Here is the strange...
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I...
I recently bought a MyBook 1 TB external disk to hook up to my HTPC because it was getting full. The first thing I did after I...
Replies
Views
Thanks everone...I have Directv and a DVR that My wife is happy with so for my purposes it seems like the "green" drive for the same size and price would be the way to go... by the way for what I am attempting you can see at this thread...
Thanks everone...I have Directv and a DVR that My wife is happy with so for my purposes it seems like the "green" drive for the...
I guess my original post was to broad so I decided to take it one step at a time...my first roadblock is the HDD I found one that...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Raid storage case DE
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5 SATA Aluminum External Hard Drive Enclosure for MAC and PC But for some serious expandable storage, have a look at this: Storage Rack Overview from Addonics It would need some work to make it silent...
Sounds like a good plan, and one I have been looking at too. These people seem to do everything SATA that you could want: 3.5...
Ok I want to make my own raid storage case and need a case to start with The odds are I will end up using a htpc case and gutting...
Replies
Views
i would recommend an extra fan like a sharkoon silent eagle 1000. those things are almost inaudiable even at 12v. i had to experince what happens when a hdd gets too hot and its not funny loosing all your data. in my case i dint loose everything but datablocks have been cross referenced which for example means that some parts game...
i would recommend an extra fan like a sharkoon silent eagle 1000. those things are almost inaudiable even at 12v. i had to...
Hi I have Antec fusion V2 case and I have used elastic cords (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html ) to make the...
Replies
Views
Dansta et al, Please take a look at my Media Server solution. It may help you managing your shares!!!! https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Utilities/MediaServer/ Thx, Yohay
Dansta et al, Please take a look at my Media Server solution. It may help you managing your shares...
Evening all, So I've got my client up and running in the livingroom and all is well :) Currently I have all my HDDs in my...
Replies
Views
Glad you got it sorted.
Glad you got it sorted.
Hi, Had my HTPC up and running for a few months and it worked brilliantly for its main purpose which was watching DVD 'Srunk'...
Replies
Views
I am having the same problem. I have two usb hard dirives and am only having this problem with the WD My Book drive. It shows to set them up in MP config but when I open MP they aren't there. The other drive is a WD Elements and it works fine. Drives me crazy.
I am having the same problem. I have two usb hard dirives and am only having this problem with the WD My Book drive. It shows to...
I am having a problem with Media portal recognizing my external HDD. Media Portal won't read or play or show any files on my...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Storage suggestions DE
Just to specify - the recommended drive is not just any Barracuda. It is the ES series. The other series are not meant for 24-7 use. You could use a NAS instead of a server. But if you are running a server, you do not need a NAS. Still, I am looking at a couple of NAS boxes. One called Thecus and the other is called Synology. Both...
Just to specify - the recommended drive is not just any Barracuda. It is the ES series. The other series are not meant for 24-7...
I work in the TV and film business (tech stuff and creative stuff) and thought I would share a couple of tips about storage that I...
Replies
Views
You might as well buy iRAMs :D
You might as well buy iRAMs :D
<snipp> "The IDE (model I25FB) and SATA (model A25FB) versions of Adtron's SSDs use SLC NAND flash memory and are designed to meet...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply jasonb. i'll get the 200Gb version in a week or two then add an external usb drive to it.
Thanks for the reply jasonb. i'll get the 200Gb version in a week or two then add an external usb drive to it.
I'm thinking of getting a network based hard drive to store my media files on so i dont have to keep my other pc switched on all...
Replies
Views
The transfer speed with FW and USB2 are about the same (especially with HDDs, since the drive is the limiting factor). However, FW has lower CPU usage than USB2 according to a few hardware reviews I've read (no link handy).
The transfer speed with FW and USB2 are about the same (especially with HDDs, since the drive is the limiting factor). However...
I would like to hear your thoughts as I think many people have the same "problem" Problem: Need extra HDD space Idea: Add an...
Replies
Views
Anonymous
A
Top Bottom