Storage (3 Viewers)

Discussions about HDD, SSD, DVD, BluRay, etc., go in here
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and 2 other clients) I am considering installing either WHS 2011, or a linux distro with smb sharing to my MediaPortal machines. Anyone got any experience on what works best?
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
I have just bought a hp microserver to host a few 3tb drives across my MP clients (I have a client/server with 4 hd sat tuners and...
Replies
Views
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a second. I can easily record 10+ channels at once and play back at the same time.
Remember that recorded digital TV is only in megabits, whereas your hard drive should be able to read and write many megabytes a...
Hey everybody. I am planning to by a new Hard Drive for my recordings and would like to know if a Hard Drive with 5400 U/Min is...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD Advices for MP DE
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings must be set to ensure the health of the ssd. As I know it's not the best for the ssd if I save the cache/timeshift on it or am I wrong? Some advice for me from a ssd guru which settings must be chosen? :)...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
I ordered an hour ago my first corsair force 3 120gb ssd. I make a fresh clean for my system and I'm not sure if some settings...
Replies
Views
Me too, nice easy software to use and of course free, their Partition Master beats the M$ utility hands down as well :D
Me too, nice easy software to use and of course free, their Partition Master beats the M$ utility hands down as well :D
As per topic.. whats the best way to convert from HDD to SSD without reinstalling. Are there downsides to doing this over a fresh...
Replies
Views
Ok. done... I'm not sure there's nothing changed... but anyway, good point! :) Thanks a lot.
Ok. done... I'm not sure there's nothing changed... but anyway, good point! :) Thanks a lot.
Hi all, Quick question regarding my new SSD HD. I've just cloned my old mechanical HD to this SSD HD, containing just one...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 MFT loss - again DE
Nice one :D
Nice one :D
Hi, For the second time in as many months I have had the MFT on my 'Films' HDD become corrupt. I haven't lost anything as I keep...
Replies
Views
How about this board for a NAS idea.. VIA Launches First Ever Dual Core Pico-ITX Motherboard The CPU at 1ghz should be enough for mp tv server and some hdds
How about this board for a NAS idea.. VIA Launches First Ever Dual Core Pico-ITX Motherboard The CPU at 1ghz should be...
Hi Guys, I have been doing some clearing out of 'junk' (this is what the GF calls it; I say it is useful stuff just set aside...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 OpenMediaVault DE
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything is managable from the web gui.
Well OMV is front-end to Debian (Squeeze), so it has the same features as a normal Debian installation. However far from everything...
A replacement for FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault is based on Debian. Check it out; OpenMediaVault - Home
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Interesting DIY nas DE
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've mentioned I'd want it to be easier to swap out the drives. - Better cooling for the HDDs, perhaps by adding fans across the top of the case.
Not a bad idea at all, really like the design, wouldn't mind buying something like that with a couple of changes. - Like you've...
Hi folks, have a look at this guys' solution.... Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.1 Watch: Black Dwarf Video Worklog Pt.2...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Server with w7 DE
Thanks! And from out of my local network, is it possible?
Thanks! And from out of my local network, is it possible?
Hi. Im totally newbie at this, so I need some help. I have a computer with windows7, and I want to use it a server. There´s a...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Mp + nas = ? DE
Which one to recommend depends on what you are after. If you primary aim is just file storage (and presumably 20-40+ TBs of it) then going for a linux based custom NAS that you build like FreeNAS or UnRaid will work out much more economical than buying a ready made NAS that can handle that amount of storage. Both UnRaid and FreeNAS...
Which one to recommend depends on what you are after. If you primary aim is just file storage (and presumably 20-40+ TBs of it)...
So I'm looking to see what options I should be looking for in a NAS, and more specifically a make and model. So the basic thing...
Replies
Views
Ok I set VLC to use gpu accelleration and it fixed it. By this I mean, my tvserver pc is not using as much CPU now, so feeding the tv buffer to the client is running fine now.
Ok I set VLC to use gpu accelleration and it fixed it. By this I mean, my tvserver pc is not using as much CPU now, so feeding the...
is it still an issue with SSD an timeshifting with the modern version of MePo 1.2.0 final? or are the write actions killing for...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD for tv DE
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the cpu/ram not handling it
Hmm - well now I rebooted my server pc and everythings fine. :) most likely software glitch to do with MP, windows 7 or the...
So I've been having some glitches with my tv recordings ever since I started using MP ages ago. The glitches happen when the wind...
Replies
Views
Thanks Aitor! Yes I use Win7 - I'll try it tomorrow M
Thanks Aitor! Yes I use Win7 - I'll try it tomorrow M
Hi, I have a 64Gb SSD coming tomorrow for my bedroom client. I have just got it working well and all plugins working properly...
Replies
Views
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go for. Cheers, M
elsmandino, Did you get any recommendations for an SSD? I'm looking to use one purely for timeshifting, and not sure which to go...
Hi there, I am currently building a dedicated server to host media portal. I plan on putting in a WD AV-GP HDD (1.5TB) to do...
Replies
Views
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a time. From a hard disc operation point of view, it is a continuous writing of one file without almost any search and head positioning (and only while watching TV or pausing). Should not have a negative...
AW: Which Hard Drives help well, timeshift is in default settings just 6 - 10 files of each 250MB. There is only one written at a...
Hi looking for some help on which hard drives to use in my htpc running Mp At the moment running Raid 0 with 2 x Samsung 250Gb...
Replies
Views
AW: Switch to SSD within a raid 1 Just an update: Didnt work as expected since SSD won't get recognized on RAID-Mode. I had to switch to AHCI and am now using the HDD's in Windows Raid Mode.
AW: Switch to SSD within a raid 1 Just an update: Didnt work as expected since SSD won't get recognized on RAID-Mode. I had to...
Hi, I need hints on a (not so) small change on my htpc since I am planning to switch my System-Hdd to a SSD. Here is my...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD recommendation DE
Hi there, If want a decent SSD (non PCIe card) then look at STEC or Pliant (massive overkill for a HTPC) I'll have an array of 10 pliant drives soon to play with...IOPs anyone? :D J. ps - Agree with the above, GC is getting better nowadays... so TRIM is less important on certain drives.
Hi there, If want a decent SSD (non PCIe card) then look at STEC or Pliant (massive overkill for a HTPC) I'll have an array...
Hi all, can you recommend any particular SSD 30-60GB? Please don't advise me to google it - I read a lot about those things in...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 DVD player lockups DE
Its one of those intermittant faults, hard to tie down. The PC is only used as a mediacentre, and I prefer Mediaportal as the playback; but you're right, I have another I could try. I wasn't sure what drivers mediaportal used to access a DVD, so assumed it was within Mediaportal.... Where are the crash logs maintained in windows...
Its one of those intermittant faults, hard to tie down. The PC is only used as a mediacentre, and I prefer Mediaportal as the...
Mediacentre running XP, Mediaportal 1.1.2. All playbacks of video from the hard drives is fine, but using the SATA DVD player it...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 My Storage Solution DE
Awesome! Make a video! I'd love to see your Norco in action. I've made one for my RPC-4220 (20 SATA drives) file server. Vid is here: 20TB Fileserver (YouTube)
Awesome! Make a video! I'd love to see your Norco in action. I've made one for my RPC-4220 (20 SATA drives) file server. Vid is...
I've been running mediaportal roughly for a year and i love it!! Currently my HTPC/Workstation: AMD Phenom x4 Quad Core (2.6ghz)...
Replies
Views
Hi there, These are the spinpoint F2 drives? I doubt you will be able to buy just the PCB's - I tried to do this in the past for other drives. :( Obvious places to try and buy are eBuyer, CCL, aria, etc. Exactly which component is it? you can normally buy a replacement resistor/inductor for less than 1 pound. You could...
Hi there, These are the spinpoint F2 drives? I doubt you will be able to buy just the PCB's - I tried to do this in the past...
Hi guys, A little help required if you can. Long story cut short. I own 2 x 1TB HD103SI Samsung drives, that held. I...
Replies
Views
No, no problems with the firmware upgrade, although I'm not sure I would have noticed. I found out about it from here. Haven't seen any issues with the upgrade there either.
No, no problems with the firmware upgrade, although I'm not sure I would have noticed. I found out about it from here. Haven't seen...
Hi guys, I'm planning to move my data from an old pc that I installed linux on to a second drive in my HTPC. For this, I bought...
Replies
Views
Hello, I want to conect 2 external HDDs via eSata and if possible some internal HDD via Sata. The HDD are only for storing data and not for Operating System and not RAID mode! Just simple storage! I have free PCI slot's and looking for an extension card that don't load's during booting. Does anyone know a PCI card with at...
Hello, I want to conect 2 external HDDs via eSata and if possible some internal HDD via Sata. The HDD are only for storing...
Hello, I want to conect 2 external HDDs via eSata and if possible some internal HDD via Sata. The HDD are only for storing...
Replies
Views
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have the 1 tv tuner and everything else streams from either the internet or from my 10/100 networked pc in the other room perhaps a pc with lots of tuners or when streaming tv channels to other pcs in your...
i personally have a simple setup with a single sata2 hdd ..no SSD's involved at all i dont see any real problems as i only have...
Hi all, I am very keen to get started using MediaPortal TV-Server on my Windows Home Server. I know it's not officially supported...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much Eeyore, but I already went ahead and made a 50gig partition. All went wrong and mediaportal was installed all over the shop , so I ended up removing the partition, uninstalling mediaportal and reinstalling and all is well. Have encountered other small problems that I need help fixing but need to be posted in another...
Thanks very much Eeyore, but I already went ahead and made a 50gig partition. All went wrong and mediaportal was installed all...
Iwas going to use a small ide drive for windows xp and mediaportal, and a large sata drive for storage but I cant get them to read...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 RAM drives DE
TV-Server/UserGuides/Ramdisk - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
TV-Server/UserGuides/Ramdisk - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
Hiyas! Im looking to set up a RAM drive and i dont know what i need This would be for timeshifting TV in MP Any help...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 SSD vs. HDD DE
Yes, precisely. No benefit putting a recording on SSD. You want your OS and MP app on it. Ideally have a seperate SSD for timeshift, or RAMdrive. I put Timeshift on same SSD but I have the free space using XP.
Yes, precisely. No benefit putting a recording on SSD. You want your OS and MP app on it. Ideally have a seperate SSD for...
I'm playing with the idea to replace my system HDD through a SSD Drive. SSD: Windows, MePo ProgramData, Backdrops, DB...
Replies
Views
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the optimiser is now part of the amd cpu driver, so again not necessary. Good luck in finding what the bottleneck is that's screwing playback, but definitely try without any plugins enabled first.
You should not have a problem if on Win7\Vista, cool'n'quiet should be disabled in BIOS, as the OS looks after things, also the...
I've been running my system from a WD GP RE2 drive as it's quiet, runs cool and my system is passively cooled. I've had to send...
Replies
Views
MP1 MP2 Recommended HDD! DE
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be important. Most manufactures are now going with a 3 year replacement warranty. I use to use Seagate simply because they had a 5 year warranty. It would be interesting to see how this has effected their...
Hi, here are my thoughts. Brand does not matter as match when you run Raid or some equivelent but certain things will always be...
Hi guys, I just bought Samsung F3 drives and I'm really pleased how cool and quiet they are.
Replies
Views
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had, hopefully someone else with the same problem will stumble on this post. The symptom: Recorded TV shows, US over the air ATSC HDTV, would occasionally skip or stutter. I recently upgraded my HDD to a...
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had...
Skips or stutter in recorded TV, slow SATA transfer rate This post is a solution to a difficult to find (for me) issue I had...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom