MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all..
    Just a general question...
    How does 1.2.0 Alpha compare with 1.1.1 Final in terms of reliability and stability ?

thx

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: 1.1.1Final vs 1.2.0Alpha

1.2.0 Alpha is more stable and reliable. Some memory leaks and some skin engine bugs have been fixed. Although named "Alpha" it´s the most stable version of MP ever ;)

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The downside is that not all plugins work with it yet :( But that's a matter of time, ofcourse!

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Which ones don´t work? As I support the majority of plugins in my skins, I had to test wether the plugins work or not before releasing the new skin versions. I didn´t find any of the supported plugins not working ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: 1.1.1Final vs 1.2.0Alpha

1.2.0 Alpha is more stable and reliable. Some memory leaks and some skin engine bugs have been fixed. Although named "Alpha" it´s the most stable version of MP ever ;)

And there is no clue how many new issues are hidden with the new features (or with the current bug fixes) - so it shouldn't be stated as more stable even when it could be that in some cases it is just too early for that (for example crossfading enabled while playing audio + start video playback -> crash to desktop - even thou this seems to be an BASS library issue itselfb but the end user wont care :) ).

If you want to have a stable one without leaks just use 1.1.0 like I have on my HTPC :p

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Also the TvGuide doesn't work if you use more than one channel group - and much more - just look at mantis. I wouldn't recommand 1.2 for productional use.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: AW: 1.1.1Final vs 1.2.0Alpha

If you want to have a stable one without leaks just use 1.1.0 like I have on my HTPC :p
    Exactly,
    For example, 1.1.1 and 1.2.0 releases give "TV connexion lost" where it was not the case in 1.1.0, that's why I downgraded.
    Since there was not so much TVE3 change beetween 1.1.0 and 1.1.1, it could be easy to find where the problem is. ;)

IanJ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Re: AW: 1.1.1Final vs 1.2.0Alpha

Also the TvGuide doesn't work if you use more than one channel group

Hmmm, I had 3 channel groups with 1.1.1 and upgraded to 1.2.0 without problem.

I went to to 1.2.0 because 1.1.1 was looking like a bag of bolts with the various fixes I had loaded with 1.1.1.
    I.E. Channel changing under 1.1.1 was forever giving me errors/problems, and 1.2.0 fixes this. A major reason to upgrade IMHO.

My only 'wish' is that the guys would release new versions more often.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread