Ability to run multiple instances of plugin? (1 Viewer)

Rhym

Portal Member
March 14, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Can anyone let me know what versions of Mediaportal and plugins you've been able to get this to work with? I suppose only mediaportal and the OS matters though.

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I tried a clean install and I couldn't even get it to work. Like the description says, you need an TV series to get this to work, maybe mine was already too new?

To Damien and the other TV Series devs: could you please consider multiple instances? In my simplemindedness, all you need is an extra plugin and database right? Both copies should be able to use te same skinfile right?

For me it would be for Anime, but I can also imagine people wanting to seperate documentaries from series, or kids shows maybe? A possible option could be an option to lock one pluin with a pincode, but give your kids unrestricted access to the other copy for cartoon shows? It would totally finalize my MediaPortal. My girlfriend hates my anime polluting our tv series and I like it too much too be mixed up with greys anatomy and such :D

Attachments

• Watch_TVSeries.jpg
      Watch_TVSeries.jpg
      164.8 KB
    • Watch_Anime.jpg
      Watch_Anime.jpg
      138.3 KB

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Tried a clean setup of MediaPortal 1.0, not the SVN, tahngarts copy and the latest stable mp tv-series. Still getting the ICSharp error :(
    I was wondering, do you NEED a different skin file ID? Isn't a different database all you need? The skin file could remain the same or am I thinking too simple?

You need a separate skin file because the skin ID doubles as the plug-in ID. If both instances used the same ID there would be no way for MediaPortal to launch the correct plug-in.

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tried a clean setup of MediaPortal 1.0, not the SVN, tahngarts copy and the latest stable mp tv-series. Still getting the ICSharp error :(
    I was wondering, do you NEED a different skin file ID? Isn't a different database all you need? The skin file could remain the same or am I thinking too simple?

You need a separate skin file because the skin ID doubles as the plug-in ID. If both instances used the same ID there would be no way for MediaPortal to launch the correct plug-in.

Okay, it's more work than I thought. So the skin ID is also tied to the plugin?
    Do you think you'll someday make a multiple instance version? Or a branch of this plugin?

Other question: I tried filling a database on a different PC, only monitoring my anime share using a copy of your original 2.0 plugin (which works of course) on a clean machine and pointing tahngarths copy of the tv series plugin to this database but it fails to load even in the configuration . I get a 'WindowPlugins.GUITVSeries.Translation.RecentlyAdded not found' error. The copy of you plugin is an older build than Tahngarths' so it should be the same database, or are there references to the dll in the database as well?

I totally understand if you say screw you for trying to something with my plugin which isn't supported, but I just want to understand it better.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Okay, it's more work than I thought. So the skin ID is also tied to the plugin?
    Do you think you'll someday make a multiple instance version? Or a branch of this plugin?

Other question: I tried filling a database on a different PC, only monitoring my anime share using a copy of your original 2.0 plugin (which works of course) on a clean machine and pointing tahngarths copy of the tv series plugin to this database but it fails to load even in the configuration . I get a 'WindowPlugins.GUITVSeries.Translation.RecentlyAdded not found' error. The copy of you plugin is an older build than Tahngarths' so it should be the same database, or are there references to the dll in the database as well?

I totally understand if you say screw you for trying to something with my plugin which isn't supported, but I just want to understand it better.

Well I am the lead dev for Moving Pictures and don't have too much involvement with TV-Series these days, so I can't speak for them. But with Moving Pictures we will never support multiple instances of the plug-in. But our upcoming filtering feature probably would make a setup like that pointless anyway.

I can say I have looked into it though and there are a lot of problems with having multiple instances running. At least for Moving Pictures it would require redesigning a lot of the code to get it to work.

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I guess an advanced filtering option like showing anything BUT animation would be okay for my girl, but not for me. I'm still hoping the lead devs will make a copy of mytv-series possible. In the meantime I'm still trying to get Tanhgarth's copy to work with a mytv-series-original database but no luck so far. It's filled when I point the original dll to it, but with the mp-animeseries I get the error I stated before. And on a clean import I get a ICSharp dll error and I don't know what wrong. Maybe it's just not working period.

Raytestrak

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 12, 2008
    Honselersdijk
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Okay, I got them to work simultaniously. There are some catches though.

First of all: copy the attached ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll to the plugins\windows folder so that it is in the same folder as MP-AnimeSeries.dll. Do NOT overwrite the one in the mediaportal folder or else the latest official tvseries plugin won't work because that one needs a newer version. By keeping them seperated both plugins can fill there own database.

Now for the catches:

• Running both plugins at the same time breaks the fanart chooser. You can't run Tahngarths copy on it's own, and automatic fanart downloading isn't present in his copy, so you can't select any :(
    • Tahngarths plugin is based on a version that has a few hickups, for instance series info isn't shown on starting the plugin, you have to select a series and go back to the main menu.

Damien, I don't know if you're following this thread, but PLEASE consider releasing a branch of mptvseries. Or start a poll to see whether people are interested. Over 1400 views in this thread makes it worth thinking about, right?
    I'm probably sounding pretty desperate, but well ... I am ;)

Attachments

• ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.rar
      30.7 KB

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    I have the same error when going to configuration. I'm going to try your solution, MP-AnimeSeries sounds too good.

FdL

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2009
    Okay, I got them to work simultaniously. There are some catches though.

First of all: copy the attached ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll to the PLUGINS folder. Do NOT overwrite the one in the mediaportal folder or else the latest official tvseries plugin won't work because that one needs a newer version. By keeping them seperated both plugins can fill there own database.

Sorry, couldn't make it work. Do I have to copy the plugin to just \plugins\, or to \plugins\windows\, where the rest of the plugins for both AnimeSeries and TVSeries are?

Basically I just keep getting the same error about "WindowPlugins.GUITVSeries.Translation.RecentlyAdded not found".

Please let me know how you made them both work.

And yes, I do think it would be cool to be able to use both simultaneously. I tried the other Anime plugin but it doesn't seem to work very well, and even if it did, the MP-Series engine seems to be much more powerfull (ie, I imported all my series and got it working in under one hour).

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Why do you need multiple instances? Wouldn't open database option from GUI be sufficient?
    That way you can have independent databases per user, per series type etc..... I think this would be more efficient and easier to implement than multiple instances.

Users who are viewing this thread