[Finished] Add MediaPortal 2 Log Collector to the Installer and a shortcut to it. (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I agree. I will change it to "MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration"

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SetupTv icon is quite covered by UAC shield.
    As I am someone who is never short of an opinion or three :D, may I observe that the diagonal arrow in the lower left corner that identifies the icon as a shortcut also obscures a significant part of the text.

If the icon itself is going to contain text, it would seem sensible to position that text either:

(1) At the top or the middle of the icon, or
    (2) Right justified at the botton of the icon (so that the shortcut arrow does not obscure any of the text).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    SetupTv icon is quite covered by UAC shield.
    As I am someone who is never short of an opinion or three :D, may I observe that the diagonal arrow in the lower left corner that identifies the icon as a shortcut also obscures a significant part of the text.

If the icon itself is going to contain text, it would seem sensible to position that text either:

(1) At the top or the middle of the icon, or
    (2) Right justified at the botton of the icon (so that the shortcut arrow does not obscure any of the text).

I was asked for mp2 style, thats what i supplied they follow the current design.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    I've seen it but it's true for any icon even for MP1 tv config, the thing is how many times do you need to be told what it is as it tells you the name underneath the icon anyway ?

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One solution would be to move the "text" (it really isn't a text, isn't it?) to the top of the icon.
    Totally different solution:
    Create eye catching icons for each application, and apply the MP2 icon to it in one of the corners.
    I'm really not sure what the best solution is, but my personal opinion:
    "CLNT" in an "standard" icon looks as if I (as an developer with limited design talent) made it as placeholder.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    "CLNT" in an "standard" icon looks as if I (as an developer with limited design talent) made it as placeholder.
    Look back a few posts i did client and server icons too so they all matched.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Look back a few posts i did client and server icons too so they all matched.
    I saw them, but still: It's generally 2 different icons for 4 different programs.
    Sure, they all should have a similar look, but I would make the main part of the icon different for all 4 of them.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    it's true for any icon even for MP1 tv config
    I installed MP 1.12 last week, so I have been reminded of what the MP1 shortcut icons look like; they look like this:

mp1_shortcuts.jpg
    For none of the icons does the shortcut arrow overlay text on the icon. For the "TV Server Config" icon, the only text on the icon is "TV", which is positioned in the lower right corner. The new "Watch Dog" icon has text, but it is too small to read from a normal viewing distance, and also is not overlaid by the shortcut arrow.

I apologise if this seems as though I am being critical of you; I am not. I am being critical of the customer, which is not you; you are the provider. The customer needs to review his requirements, and provide you with a revised set of design criteria.

I hesitate to use this description, but the current icon design makes the product look amateurish :(, which does a disservice to the outstanding work that MP2 developers have done bringing MP2 to its current level of development.

Last edited:

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SetupTV needs admin rights, right?
    If so, then the shield will hide the red "TV" part of the icon.
    But generally I think the MP1 icons are more unique for every program than MP2 currently.

Users who are viewing this thread