aMPed 3.0 - revaMPed (1 Viewer)

ned_flanders

Portal Pro
December 17, 2007
Detmold
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Dadeo,

I already thought that those things where your intention, but it could have been an issue though ;)
I can understand these reasons and I admit that you are right :)

I didn't have artist pictures in the lower right corner with your skin, they are placed right above the artist text when switching to the left menu I think (you can see that on the second screenshot). That was one reason why I thought this thing might be an issue.

Think I like the third hover the most, although it seems to be a little bit blurred when looking at the big version of the picture, but that doesn't mind when using as little hover I think. But don't get me wrong, the other two hovers are very nice too, I only think that the acquisition to the topic "music video" is represented best by the third picture showing (a nice...who is it? ;)) an artist performing a show instead of showing a crowd.

EDIT: Oh, I think I got it wrong. The picture above the artist text is a screenshot of the first (and in this case only) video I have in the Kyuss list, isn't it? In this case I got no artist pictures at all.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You were right to check, and it could be an issue, for some people :)

That artist image over the text on the menu is your Most Played Artist. Is that the artist image for Kyuss? If so it should also display in the lower right. Check the screenshot in the first post and you will see what I mean. If not you should check in [userdata]\thumbs\Music Vids\Artists to see if you have an artist image for Kyuss.

ned_flanders

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Detmold
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    :)

I see! I've taken a closer look to the picture shown above the Kyuss text and I think that might be Ozzy from Black Sabbath (could really be the most played artist).
    There is an artist image for all of my Music Vids artists in the folder you mentioned, but these pictures are exactly the same which are shown as the huge backgrounds. So there might be something wrong?

EDIT: Uh, strange thing. When I wait for some time (about one minute) the artist pictures are shown in the lower right. They aren't shown each time I start Media Portal, I first have to wait a bit o_O

EDIT2: Also when I escape the plugin and re-enter they aren't shown initially. Sometimes they are though, then I have to wait or enter an artists folder and mark one of the videos.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    There is an artist image for all of my Music Vids artists in the folder you mentioned, but these pictures are exactly the same which are shown as the huge backgrounds. So there might be something wrong?
    Not with the background. I if you don't have fanart in the media\fanart\music folder for that artist, then the artist image will display as a backdrop. It will zoom if it's not widescreen.

However, that is a problem that the artist images do not display in the lower right when you first start MP. I cannot duplicate this problem. So, I don't think that is a skin issue. Just to double check, you are using MP 1.0.2 on XP SP3 right? Can you try using the default Blue3 skin with MusicVids and see if it works there? Thanks!

EDIT: Good point about the hover image, I replaced it so now it looks like this

Attachments

• hover_musicvids.png
      hover_musicvids.png
      75.3 KB

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just installed revaMPed mod on my system.

First thing I noticed ..... not enough overscan border area allowed. The attached image simulates what I see on my 32" Hatachi analog TV (the blacked border is what is not visible.)

My PC displays the PAL skin in 800x600 PC rez (full screen), then it is converted to NTSC by an external converter which is connected to the TV.

I don't like changing the display calibration in Settings as it has screwed up scaling in several areas in the past.

Sorry :(

The second thing.... I use the IMDB numbers for my movie fanart names, rather than the movie names, so my backdrops don't show up in Videos (yes, they are in the fanart/movies folder ;) )

Chuck

Attachments

• 13-00-50.png
      13-00-50.png
      334.9 KB

Latvian3Dman

Portal Member
    May 11, 2009
    Riga
    Home Country
    Hello all!
    I am wondering, did anybody yet tried to uninstall (via add remove programs)/ reinstall new version? I did, seems that it crippled MediaPortal and even its config program completely :oops:. OR its maybe just me somehow. So, dont jump into bad conclusions, but i thought i better warn you guys. I repeat: it very much might be my specific situation.
    Why I uninstalled? I was hoping it will make skin folder aMPed3 kinda. Then i saw that it is installing into simply aMPed folder. But i had there old classic aMPed version. So I thought - i better uninstall, clean remains manually, and then reinstall this new version. So I did. Now nothing starts at all. Hmm. I will try to investigate this a little, but i think I will just reinstall all from scratch.
    So, just a small warning.

EDIT: now somehow MediaPortal Config started. I went to skins section, and there was interesting view: none of skins were selected (MediaPortal logo displayed). So I selected aMPed, and now its working :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Chuck aMPed leaves 20 pixels around all borders which afaik is acceptable for normal overscan on 720x576 resolution. I can't even begin to understand what all you have going on there. You are starting with 800x600? You already know that aMPed does not support that resolution, so I'm not surprised when you add overscan it would not work. I did not think it would look that bad though! What video card are you using? I use my Nvidia driver to adjust screen size for my TV as I too have had trouble with screen calibration. Yes, your fanart must be named [moviename].jpg as is the case in most (all?) skins. Since aMPed displays fanart in many places other than the Video/titles window it has to be that way as only the Video/Titles window supports the IMDB #.

@Latvian, great you got that figured out. As the Quick Start Guide says, the installer installs to the aMPed skin folder. Migue has already done a fix to check if you have one already when you first install.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    2BitSculptor:

Look @ powerstrip please. This can solve your issues in a right way. I already think it's a blessing it's scaling so well too the comon 1280x1024 res. I think 1024x768 was fine too, haven't tested that for a while though.
    At least powesrtrip could fix things like that for me in the past. As Dadeo says we can't test and take into account every resolution, as well as other skins can't do that too.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Neither does the skin support NTSC (720x480). So bumping it up to 800x600 full screen pc display rez and letting the NTSC converter do the scaling for the TV is the best route I have. This is why I'm trying to develop a true 800x600 skin for myself.

Well, as far as border space is concerned, this is what I'm going by... when I was doing commercial video editing a few years back, it was always recommended to have a 10% safe zone for graphic and text content. Because every TV is different, and responds differently to brightness bloom, the 5% border around was the best way to deal in 99.9% of the cases. If I should set my NTSC converter to underscan (the picture is scaled to fit inside the mask-frame), then the issue of brightness bloom is most evident, causing distortion of the picture where it is the brightest... most annoying.

The mask frame on my TV tube covers about 4.5% of the picture on all sides (actually about 92% is visible). And when I measured the visible area on my TV and compared it to the skin size, I came up with almost exactly 92% around as well. With only 662 pixels visible of 720 wide and 528 pixels of 576. So that is a difference of a 27 pixel border on each side and 24 pixel border, top and bottom, but that is right up to the edge of the mask frame.

A full 10% safe zone would amount to 36 pixels on each side and 29 pixels on top and bottom.

so... 20 pixels is close but not enough. :D

Using the BasicHome screen of aMPed 3.0, the edges of the content in the skin are about 23 pixels on top and 26 pixels on the left side. The bottom is (allowing for descenders on the text) only 10 pixels and about 22 pixels on the right side. This is why the skin content doesn't fit my frame, being cut-off on the right, and more-so on the bottom. ;)

best regards,

Chuck

Attachments

• BasicHome on grid.jpg
      BasicHome on grid.jpg
      382.6 KB

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Chuck, sorry, I was very tired last night and may have missed your point!

Is your issue only with BasicHome? If so I can fix it. I can even do a version of BasicHome for 800x600 for you. However, I think your problem must exist in many places throughout the skin.

Maybe I am mistaken? Since you had already tested the skin before release, using SVN, perhaps the problems apply only to a few windows? If so, please let me know the specific windows that are problematic and I will do what I can.

I am confused. The last I heard, you were going to bump up aMPed to 800x600 using the same genius method you are using for your TrueVision skin. So are you saying that won't work because text is too close to the edges of the screen?

I am eagerly awaiting the release of TrueVision so I can tell all the 800x600 users to use it! It is completely selfish on my part :D But I know how much work it is.

Users who are viewing this thread