BBC iPlayer Plugin (1 Viewer)

Jimbawb

Portal Pro
December 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've got a slight feature change request if possible - instead of (or in addition to) the individual icons, could we have a list view, but have the icons appear perhaps to the right/left of the list view? A bit like when browsing through the moving pictures in list view. It would make it clearer to read the programme names.

Not sure if this is a bug or hasn't been implemented yet, but when I press "stop" while a tv programme is playing, it'll go back to the front page (with bbc one, bbc two etc on it) but with no skin background and unable to select anything..it seems stuck on that at the moment.

Another one - certain shows don't seem to play. One that definitely doesnt is currently bbc three -> two pints (5th one along on the top row at the moment)

Jimbawb

Portal Pro
December 9, 2007
Home Country
hmm...Guidance rated videos can be played by pressing <space> or "Play" on a remote control.
I'll look into the rest.

Ah yes - pressing "pause" on my remote got it to start playing.

Another issue then - after about 20 seconds of two pints playing an internet explorer window loaded and then an error message saying something along the lines of "unspecified error"..it was an IE error. Just checked, its reproducible. Happens after 23 seconds of play on the two pints video..looks like it's trying to load some JS?

biosonik

Portal Member
March 31, 2009
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
BBC iPlayer causes that IE error, something in the swf. I'm planning to move the player into a web browser overlay. I just can't get the control I want from a direct stream. I have some other stuff to do first so i'll continue development on thursday or friday.

adam_purkis

Portal Pro
May 10, 2008
Home Country
ive just given it my first look so far. impressed with it fully functioning already!

one problem, however, i had when quickly testing it was that the video on the screen was quite jerky.. dont know why that is? but also i got an internet explorer error, like somebody else mentioned already in here, however, the video carried on playing..

also, the mouse disappears from the screen so it was hard to click pause.. out of curiosity, i know its still early, will it ever be possible to pause and stuff with a keypress? like in normal video playback on mediaportal?

thanks! and well done so far, love where this is going

Jimbawb

Portal Pro
December 9, 2007
Home Country
ive just given it my first look so far. impressed with it fully functioning already!

one problem, however, i had when quickly testing it was that the video on the screen was quite jerky.. dont know why that is? but also i got an internet explorer error, like somebody else mentioned already in here, however, the video carried on playing..

also, the mouse disappears from the screen so it was hard to click pause.. out of curiosity, i know its still early, will it ever be possible to pause and stuff with a keypress? like in normal video playback on mediaportal?

thanks! and well done so far, love where this is going

You can pause - press spacebar or use pause on your remote. The video went jerky after the IE error appeared, before that it wasn't too bad (but noticably worse than say, a proper avi file or tv channel) - but i think thats going to be part of the package as it is a flash web stream.

happyf1sh

Portal Member
August 26, 2007
Home Country
Hello guys,

Here is my starter for 10. It's not in anyway complete but if anyone wants code help yourself.
This one is browser based.
All it does is list the programmes and then you can navigate to individual series - that then opens the iplayer ready go.
It's all very manual but given my lack of programming skills.......

Can all be found here -> mediaportal1player - Google Code

Don't forget you have to install the mozilla active x control.

biosonik - I'll let you take the lead on this ere project but if there is help needed let me know.

Happyf1sh:)

adam_purkis

Portal Pro
May 10, 2008
Home Country
You can pause - press spacebar or use pause on your remote. The video went jerky after the IE error appeared, before that it wasn't too bad (but noticably worse than say, a proper avi file or tv channel) - but i think thats going to be part of the package as it is a flash web stream.

hmm weird.. i couldnt get spacebar to work on mine, it was acting a bit weird, escape worked to exit, but couldnt get play/pause to work

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    I got the error in Flash Player 'This content doesn't seem to be working'

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    Nice to see someone working on this. I was going to have a stab at it as my kids now hog the PC to watch iPlayer and leave the big screen/htpc behind :rolleyes:

Have you had a look at this http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPhone_H.264_version

It details what you can do to watch the h264 iPlayer streams which are meant for the iPhone - rather than using flash.

How does the plugin work? Does it maintain a program database?

I was planning on using the BBC iplayer RSS feeds to populate a database and then you'd have multiple views e.g. by channel, category, date, expiry etc.

The feed URLs I have are:

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/<category>/list/limit/400
    Where <category> can be one of
    • childrens
    • comedy
    • drama
    • entertainment
    • factual
    • music
    • news
    • religion_and_ethics
    • sport