[solved] Can't play video in debug (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How can I enable video playback in debug mode? It works just fine when running an installed version of MP.
    I get the following error:

upload_2016-5-6_12-4-27.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If MP is installed and configured appropriately (in particular: codec settings) on the same machine then it should just work. Therefore log files are required...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The error is clear:
    [collapse]
    [2016-05-06 12:58:35,804] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - VideoPlayer9: Exception while creating DShow graph Unable to load DLL 'dshowhelper.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E) at MediaPortal.Player.VMR9Util.EvrInit(IVMR9PresentCallback callback, UInt32 dwD3DDevice, IBaseFilter& vmr9Filter, UInt32 monitor, Int32 monitorIdx, Boolean disVsyncCorr, Boolean disMparCorr)
    at MediaPortal.Player.VMR9Util.AddVMR9(IGraphBuilder graphBuilder)
    at MediaPortal.Player.VideoPlayerVMR9.GetInterfaces()[/collapse]

I guess you haven't built the C++ components (DirectShowFilters).

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I guess you haven't built the C++ components (DirectShowFilters).

No matter how many times I build them I get the same issue.
    We ought to consolidate our development environment at some point, I'm always having those kind of issues.
    I could not debug my new feature today because of that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. With the greatest respect, I have the feeling you don't really understand what you're doing...

If you want to debug MP from within VS:
    1. Compile the DirectShowFilters solution with Debug configuration using either:
      1. The "VS_Rebuild_Debug_DirectShowFilters.bat" script in the repo's Build directory, OR...
      2. VS itself. In this case you have to manually select the correct build configuration.
    2. Open the MediaPortal solution in VS.
    3. Select the Debug build configuration.
    4. Clean the solution.
    5. Build the solution.
    The post-build event configured for the MediaPortal project should take care of copying all the necessary binaries - including the DirectShowFilters - into the output directory. If you haven't built the DirectShowFilters first or you don't trigger the MediaPortal project post-build event (eg. because you only build the RemotePlugins project) then it won't work.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay. With the greatest respect, I have the feeling you don't really understand what you're doing...
    Are you saying I'm holding it wrong? :)

Just went through the setup above to make sure and that did not fix it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you saying I'm holding it wrong? :)
    Haha, yes. In NZ we would say "you have to hold your mouth the right way". :D

Just went through the setup above to make sure and that did not fix it.
    Okay.
    Fresh log file please so we can confirm that the problem is the same.
    Please also check the contents of the DirectShowFilters bin directories (eg. DirectShowFilters\DirectShowHelper\bin\Debug) and mediaportal\MediaPortal.Application\bin\Debug. Like I said in my previous reply, the post-build script for the MediaPortal project should copy the C++ binaries to the mediaportal\MediaPortal.Application\bin\Debug directory. However the binaries have to exist in the first place, and the post-build script must be triggered.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Fresh log file please so we can confirm that the problem is the same.

It is the same issue.
    I opened our DirectShowHelper solution and it fails to build cause it can't find streams.h.
    It looks like I could be missing the Windows 10 SDK. My dev machine was upgraded last year from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread