[solved] Compro K300 , plug and play ? (1 Viewer)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I need to pick up an MCE remote/receiver and was wondering if the Compro K300 was plug and play with MediaPortal .

Does it work as an MCE remote without messing with button mapping ?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    They claim it's Microsoft Certified so it should work like any other MCE remote.
    One thing which is part of the Microsoft certification is the design of the Green Start button.
    The remote hardware Green Start button must comply to a well defined design.
    See Windows Media Center RC IR Collection Green Button Specification from page 41.
    Thus you can easily recognize certified hardware.

If I wanted a standard compliant remote I would stick to an HP though.
    However as explained above there is no reason this one should not work just as well or maybe even better so don't let that stop you from getting it :)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I think I'll give the Compro a try, I have a Hama remote/receiver but it never worked properly .

The HP MCE remotes seem to be hard to find ( or maybe I'm not looking in the right places )

They claim it's Microsoft Certified so it should work like any other MCE remote.
    One thing which is part of the Microsoft certification is the design of the Green Start button.
    The remote hardware Green Start button must comply to a well defined design.
    See Windows Media Center RC IR Collection Green Button Specification from page 41.
    Thus you can easily recognize certified hardware.

If I wanted a standard compliant remote I would stick to an HP though.
    However as explained above there is no reason this one should not work just as well or maybe even better so don't let that stop you from getting it :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I'll give the Compro a try, I have a Hama remote/receiver but it never worked properly .

The HP MCE remotes seem to be hard to find ( or maybe I'm not looking in the right places )
    Go for it. It has the official green start button. Though you could try to find reviews or user complains online before buying, just in case.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Go for it. It has the official green start button
    But the Ortek/Hama remote also has a green START button, and that remote does not work too well (as Ninja said). I did find one webshop that claimed that the Compro is an RC6 remote. If true, then it ought to work straight out of the box, but one can never be 100% sure. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    But the Ortek/Hama remote also has a green START button, and that remote does not work too well (as Ninja said). I did find one webshop that claimed that the Compro is an RC6 remote. If true, then it ought to work straight out of the box, but one can never be 100% sure. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

So that's not a green start button:
    https://de.hama.com/00052451/hama-remote-control-for-windows-media-center

That's a green button with start written on it :) Never buy that kind of remote if you can avoid it.

Compro claims on their website that the K300 is a Microsoft certified RC6 remote/receiver , while the Hama has no mention of this anywhere .

The Compro K300 topics in the MediaPortal forums are a couple of years old and relate to issues with the pause button .

I think I'll give it a shot and I'll report back on how it works :)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Right so ,

Compro K300 ordered , should have it in two or three days , I'll update on how it works :)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Initial impressions

Well , I just had my Compro K300 dropped off by courier about half an hour ago and initial impressions are positive :)

It came with batteries and a one meter extension cable .
    I plugged it in and waited for Windows to download drivers .
    It installed as a Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver ( a good sign )

In MediaPortal I selected Generic HID device in the remote section and enabled MP Tray in the "Additional 3rd Party Checks " section .

The green button loads MediaPortal from the desktop with no problems :)

Basic navigation in MediaPortal seems good so far .
    Play,pause ,stop etc. seem to be working as expected .
    The green button brings MediaPortal straight back to the main menu .

The TV Guide, Pictures , music buttons work , bringing me straight to the respective screens .

The info button has a little quirk ,
    When watching TV or a movie or video pressing it once brings up the info as expected , pressing it a second time brings up the context menu .( Not sure if this is normal or not )

I can't comment properly on the teletext buttons or the coloured buttons .
    I've never used teletext in MediaPortal , although I thought the teletext button would have brought up the subtitle menu when watching a movie ( it doesn't , but pressing the info button twice , as described above brings up the context menu and subtitles can be selected from that )

There doesn't seem to be a button for going back to full screen video playback ( same as "X" on the keyboard ) I'll map a button for that .

I'll do some more testing later , but so far I'm happy with my purchase :D

I have the Compro remote receiver connected to my server/bedroom system even though my server case has a remote receiver built in ( Silverstone CW-02 )

The server is in the spare bedroom , and is connected to my bedroom TV using a 10m HDMI cable , and the new remote receiver is connected using a 10m USB extension cable .

I'll spend a bit of time later to program my Harmony touch :)

If anybody has any questions , just shout

Users who are viewing this thread