[solved] Compro K300 , plug and play ? (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When watching TV or a movie or video pressing it once brings up the info as expected , pressing it a second time brings up the context menu .( Not sure if this is normal or not )

That's the normal behavior. Though I have to admit I'm not a fan of it myself.

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland

Didn't know that , as I use the iMon Manager in my living room combined with a Harmony One .
    I never had to use a standard MCE remote before .
    I don't mind it myself .

It's the teletext red key I believe.

This works with the Compro remote ( I just tried it ) , but I use a Harmony Touch in the bedroom , so I'll have to program the coloured teletext buttons .

It's on my ever growing list of things to do :D

Thanks for the replies :)

Last edited:

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    If anybody has any questions , just shout

Does the remote button feel nice, like it's a quality product? I've been looking for something to replace my current MCE remote, as I suspect it's a Chinese knockoff.
    Emph

I don't actually use the Compro remote , I use a Harmony Touch combined with the remote receiver that came with the Compro Remote .

My impressions of the Compro Remote are -

It's fairly light , with a matte texture to the plastic .

The buttons are rubber and don't make any clicking noises when pressed but feel ok .

The navigation buttons ( up , down , left , right ) feel a little vague but are acceptable .

Combined with the included remote receiver , it's just plug and play with MediaPortal 1 ( haven't tried MediaPortal 2 )

I wouldn't say it feels like a quality product in the same way as a Harmony remote does , but then , they're much more expensive and do a lot more and they feel a lot more solid .

Having said that , it does feel well made and doesn't creak or flex and is probably on a par with a remote that comes supplied with a decent TV .

Hope this helps .

I've included a picture so you can compare the Compro remote to my Harmony remotes .

remotes-jpg.175760

:)

Attachments

• remotes.jpg
      remotes.jpg
      346.2 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The info button has a little quirk. When watching TV or a movie or video, pressing it once brings up the info as expected, pressing it a second time brings up the context menu. (Not sure if this is normal or not.)
    Gentlemen, that behaviour is what is defined in the default configuration file. If you prefer something else, modify your configuration file! :D

MP Config -> Remotes and Input Devices -> Generic HID -> Mappings

I also prefer to have buttons that act as toggles (rather than cycles), so in a previous setup I defined the MENU button (aka START button on some remotes) to toggle the "Context" menu, and the INFO button to toggle the programme info (i.e. the OSD). However, if you often use the MENU/START button with its default action of "Home", you would need to use some other button for that (possibly defining a "layer" so that some other button acts as a "shift key").

For the past few weeks I have been using the Ortek/Hama remote (with the new config file that I have been developing for it), and I have defined the LEFT_MOUSE button to toggle the "Context" menu, and the RIGHT_MOUSE button to toggle the OSD. This allows the START button to remain as "Home". (y)

I find that usability is improved if buttons that are frequently used in succession are physically located close together on the remote. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does the remote button feel nice, like it's a quality product? I've been looking for something to replace my current MCE remote, as I suspect it's a Chinese knockoff.
    Emph

Not sure what you are looking for @emphatic but I recently tested a product from Inteset and was most impressed with it. They also do universal remotes apparently.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Not sure what you are looking @emphatic but I recently tested a product from Inteset and was most impressed with it. They also do universal remotes apparently.
    At least one of Inteset's remotes is actually made by One-for-All; I think that it is the INT-422:

http://shop.inteset.com/ir_remote_control_device_setup_code_search

The significance of this is that if you purchase a special cable, you can program the remote using the freeware RMIR tool available from www.hifi-remote.com. The INT-422 is one remote that I have not yet added to my collection, so I cannot comment on its characteristics. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread