CPU (1 Viewer)

swinghead

Portal Member
February 7, 2005
Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    For a quiet system a Sempron is powerful enough. Got a 2600+ myself and it basically puts out no heat (40C full load with the stock heatsink). A copper heatsink would probably suffice with no/low speed fan. Its nice and zippy for MP and works well with 2 tuners (1 analogue, 1 dvb - soon to be 2).

Pingus

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Denmark
    swinghead said:
    Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?

Dont know anything about AMD, but ....

I use a Celeron D320/2.4Ghz/533FSB in my Pundit-R; works great for MP.

Before that I used an P4/1.5Ghz/400FSB in the same box; works ok for viewing tv/dvd BUT the guide was a bit slow when navigation throu the channels, so I guess the "Intel way" is >2.0Ghz/533 FSB.

What REALLY is importent is having a HARDWARE encoder TV-card, like fx. a Hauppage PVR-150/500 since this has more impact on how the system works than using a software encoding card and a Athlon64 / P4HT processor.

In fact i would say that my older P4/1.5Ghz + PVR150 works better than a P4/3.xGhZ HT-processor and a software TV-Card - for recording anyway :)

quazar

Portal Member
    January 4, 2005
    WishyWashy's suggestion to go for a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz is not such a good choice, since that is one of the most heat producing AMD cores. :eek:
    1.4 Ghz should suffice though

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of things; the deployment tool for 1.32 doesn't remove the previous version when you're updating from 1.31 to 1.32 and "MediaPortal TV Server" gets installed even when you choose to install the client only. I...
    That fixed the problem. I just manually installed VC_redist.x64.exe and reinstalled 1.32 64-bit. Thanks for that. A couple of...
    I have performed client installations of 1.32 64-Bit on four machines using the central configuration setup on Windows 10 Pro...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
    Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
    Replies
    Views
    I have recently updated from MP 1.30 to 1.31 on a Win 11 PC slightly different to your software set up but given Win 10 is still supported I doubt there are many major differences regarding the ".NET Runtime Optimization Service". On my setup I am not seeing any significant CPU usuage MP takes around 3% and the TV Service is...
    I have recently updated from MP 1.30 to 1.31 on a Win 11 PC slightly different to your software set up but given Win 10 is still...
    Hi, I have a single seat setup with MP 1.31 on a Win10 machine. Since the last automated Windows update the TV-Service produces a...
    Replies
    Views
    @doskabouter That fixed it, thanks!
    @doskabouter That fixed it, thanks!
    I just upgraded to 1.32 and now, when I start TV-Service Config, I get this error: [2024-01-31 09:33:13,138] [Log ] [SetupTv...
    Replies
    Views
    And this is the follow-up thread, which includes log files: PiP audio problem
    And this is the follow-up thread, which includes log files: PiP audio problem
    I just updated from 2.4. Update did not conserve my channels or epg plug-in or anything, looks like, which of course was a...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom