Difference between EPG grabbers (1 Viewer)

conners

Portal Member
May 27, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was just wondering what the difference is between DVB EPG and add-ons like WebEPG and XMLTV?

If I'm using one of the add-on grabbers should I disable DVB EPG or can they run simultaneously?

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was just wondering what the difference is between DVB EPG and add-ons like WebEPG and XMLTV?
    Which to choose depends on what is important to you. Some points:

(1) I like the simplicity of using the broadcast EPG. Enable the right combination of options and it is all done! No additional tools required. No connection to the internet required.

(2) The broadcast EPG benefits from last-minute updates. For example, if a live sports event overruns, the broadcast EPG can be updated to reflect the later start times for subsequent programmes. This won't happen with an EPG downloaded from the internet once per day.

Note: the EPG grabber does not run continuously, so to benefit from the last-minute updates requires some luck -- the EPG grabber must run after the EPG change but before the programme starts; the default setting is once every two hours. Nevertheless, in the 8 months that I have been using MP, I have benefitted from these last-minute EPG changes on about 6 occasions, mostly when the 10.00pm main news was extended, delaying subsequent programmes by 5-10 minutes.

(3) The broadcast EPG covers 7 days, whereas some other EPGs cover 2 weeks (e.g. the Microsoft EPG for Windows Media Center; I believe that you can use this with MP).

(4) Some EPGs contain more information than the broadcast EPG. For example, the Microsoft EPG contains info such as: names of actors/directors, original broadcast date, repeat flag, star rating.

If I'm using one of the add-on grabbers should I disable DVB EPG or can they run simultaneously?
    A good question. The broadcast and downloaded EPGs won't necessarily agree, even when there are no last-minute changes. I understand that Windows Media Center would use the broadcast EPG for EPG entries that were different from the Microsoft downloaded EPG (presumably on the assumption that the broadcast EPG would be more up to date). As I have never used an internet EPG with MP, I don't know what MP would do if both EPGs were available. Perhaps someone else knows?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Thanks for that. I found "Chnlineup" in the Sky grab and "FreesatEPG" in the Freesat grab and enabled them both in EPG Collector, and also set them as the EPG grabber for radio in MP2. But here's the odd thing: The next time I opened the XMLTV EPG mapper (where you map actual channels to channels available in the EPG), the radio...
    Thanks for that. I found "Chnlineup" in the Sky grab and "FreesatEPG" in the Freesat grab and enabled them both in EPG Collector...
    Following on from this thread: Previously I used EPG Collector very successfully to grab a 7 day OTA EPG which included the EPG...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.5 Media Source DE
    @Brownard, just a stupid question. Yes it works now by manually entering the path. However when i try to edit the settings (like because i want to disable the share watch) I can select my Media Source, however i seems to only briefly been shown and the goes back to the list. So i cannot actually edit it. Can et bee due to the "long"...
    @Brownard, just a stupid question. Yes it works now by manually entering the path. However when i try to edit the settings (like...
    I had to replace my NAS and after reinstalling a new one i thought. Lets modify the Media Source. - However that did not work "if"...
    Replies
    Views
    Ok some good news after much tearing out of hair lol as i refuse to be beaten at problem solving i managed to find out where EPG Collector gets its epg from and found it gets it from 'freesathome' so cribbed the settings from that and added the freesathome channel to the radio channels and selected that channel only to collect epg...
    Ok some good news after much tearing out of hair lol as i refuse to be beaten at problem solving i managed to find out where EPG...
    Hi folks Ive just started using epg collector to import uk freesat epg into mediaportal i have had good success with it so far and...
    Replies
    Views
    Didn't know computers are available in Canada's jails... :p
    Didn't know computers are available in Canada's jails... :p
    Hi folks, basically I have this m3u list with links I am trying to scan with the TV configuration tool but all the channels even...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 - V2.5 No genres after upgrade to 2.5 DE
    You need to check the wiki for TVMosaic, you have recordings as source available once TVM is installed. And of course images and music are part of the NET6 version as for NET4. If you have issues with it further infos would be good.
    You need to check the wiki for TVMosaic, you have recordings as source available once TVM is installed. And of course images and...
    Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the Requirements and you've filled in your System...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom