Freecom USB DVB-T compatibility (1 Viewer)

djepi

October 31, 2005
Hi Odie,
Check device manager in Windows and look under "Sound, video and game controllers". The USB stick should be listed as "USB Digital TV Receiver". Is this so?

Also, do a properties on this and go to driver... it should be listed as 24/08/2005?

Kut-Kreator

November 29, 2005
Hmm, Just built a media pc, And i'm having the same problems as you. It works ok under the freecom drivers, But if I try to load the bda drivers, They appear to install ok, But can't see any channels when scanning. Just get the odd green flicker on the dongle, This is doing my head in now !!

I'll report back what fix's it (If i manage too !)

Kut-Kreator

November 29, 2005
Nightmare, In the end unplugged the dvb-t card and then deleted the USB controller drives and any root hubs, Then re-booted, Waited for windows to auto detect and install the drivers for the usb hardware, Then plugged the dvb-t card back in, Windows detected it and i pointed it to the yakumo drivers.

Finally !!..

You could also try plugging it into a different usb port !

HTH, Kut

Odie

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Scotland, U.K
Yup, I managed to get it working yesterday when I came across instructions in a thread on the GBPVR forums saying to uninstall the Freecom software, delete the driver files from the inf directory, uninstall the device from the Windows device manager and then plug it into a different usb port before pointing it to the Yakumo drivers when it's re-detected. It works perfectly now.

I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed with MP though, since I only want to use it for watching the TV it's quite bloated and navigation is a bit convoluted within the TV feature. Basically I'm looking for an app that has a nice looking EPG (i.e better than the rubbish ones in the Freecom and Yakumo viewers) and basic recording options based on the EPG.

steve.craig

December 14, 2005
Crashes xp!

I have tried using the Yakumo drivers as described in this thread. But then loading MediaPortal setup resets my pc!, the same thing happens if I attempt to scan for channels using Yakumo tv viewer. Xp comes back up with recovered from serious error dialog.

Anyone had any problems like this?

Steve

Phatbloke

Portal Member
December 14, 2005
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Steve
I get the same error. MP ran fine with the freecom drives although tv didnt go. After updating to the Yakumo drivers I was able to scan and find all the channels in setup but when loading MP it bluescreens on me reseting. I think it said it was ks.sys or something like that, flashed up pretty quick.
The card works fine using the Yakumo viewer.

Anyone have any ideas? Any further info i can supply?

Phatbloke

Portal Member
December 14, 2005
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Just a follow up.
I have tried as many options as i can. I have completely removed the driver as indicated in a previous post reinstalled and so on with no luck. I continue to get a blue screen with a ks.sys error when MP has just finished loading. It still loads fine if i remove the tv card from setup.
I am currently using the Yakumo viewer fine and am resorting to this for my tv viewer until someone can figure out the problem.

Cheers

steve.craig

December 14, 2005
Okay well some people seem to be able to get this working with freecom and some unlucky ones cannot. In my case I can not even open up the tv viewer.

I have spoken to freecom support and now they seem to be saying they will not be producing a BDA driver.

Wonder if we can narrow down why this crashes on some machines and not others. I have:
A relatively recent freecom dvb-t stick, not got it to hand so cant quote serial on manf date. I had previously installed freecom drivers and they worked fine. Then following the instructions in this forum I removed the driver and installed the BDA one.

Some points that might effect this: I previously used this on linux with the open source driver (dont know if that changed the firmware etc, cant imagine it would). Its currently connected to a USB1 port, hopefully USB2 will arrive today. My tv aerial is not bad, but some channels break up on my set top box.

I am looking at the BDA spec, and the linux open source driver to see if there is any chance of writing a driver for windows. But I have no real experience with driver writing under windows so I doubt I'll get anywhere.

steve.craig

December 14, 2005
Ok now I am trying to install on a fresh computer that has never had the freecom drivers installed.
I plug in the usb stick, get up the found new hardware wizard which I point to the Yakumo drivers for the USB digital tv card (or something similar). That installs fine.

Then another window pops up for found new hardware: "Digital TV receiver" what drivers do I use for this? The yakumo drivers come up as unsupported, and while I can force it to use these drivers again I have a feeling this is what led to the crash.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread