Freecom USB DVB-T compatibility (1 Viewer)

DutchMaster

Portal Member
March 1, 2006
Germany
Yeah allot of people got the ks.sys BSOD.
I have not encounter this. Mine did crash on the BDA capture driver though.
Since I have Timeshifting enabled, it runs stable. Downside is the channelzapping takes 5-10secs. Since I use the EPG programguide I don't have a big issue with it.

Settings, drivers, clean install did not fix this above.

IMO this card is unstable under Mediaportal in the first seconds when turning TV on, or changing a channel.
Its like Mediaportal wants to do allot of stuff at the same time, but the driver does not cope with this and crashes.
It could also hang on bad reception.

Following has also been suggested:
- Disable EPG
- Install XP SP2 (possibly this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812035)
- Install DVB patch: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896626
- Get latest DirectX (ks.sys is part of DirectX(?) )

JeremyPorteous

March 26, 2006
Having read about people's success using the Freecom DVB-T stick with the Yakumo (or Hama) BDA drivers I have just purchased one. Unfortunately, mine does NOT work with these drivers.

From reading this thread
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...d.php?t=261814
and my own investigations the hardware seems to have been changed.

The original Freecom and Yakumo drivers look for a USB stick with vendor ID 14AA and product ID of 220 or 222 (for BDA_Loader_220.inf or DTV_Loader_2X1.inf) and product ID of 221 (for BDA_Capture_220.inf or DTV_Capture_2X1.inf). Unfortunately, my Freecom stick (manufactured February 2006) has a vendor ID of 14AA and a product ID of 22A (for WDM_Loader_220A.inf) and 22B (for WDM_Capture_220A.inf). It is therefore an updated model, so the other drivers do not work. This is the case even if you update the INF files to get Windows to install the Yakumo drivers for the new product IDs. Does anybody have a solution?

Tambo

July 25, 2006
New BDA drivers from Freecom

Freecom must have heard my screams last night as i wasted a few hours trying MP to detect mt USB stick...

Freecom have made available their "DVB-T USB & CARDBUS BDA driver" which is available to download from their website - have fun!

Arakon

December 30, 2006
I have a pretty bad issue with the drivers for this stick. I actually have a Hama stick, but it's identical to the freecom, yakumo and eurostick.. the problem is this, for both the BDA and the WDM drivers:

the first time I install the driver, it works fine and does the double install (detects another device after installing the first). after this install, the stick works perfectly fine, with mediaportal and any other player I throw at it.

now, anytime I plug the stick into another USB port OR simply do a reboot, the stick is no longer working. the first device gets detected fine (USB Capture Stick/DVB-T Loader), however the second device (the actual capture driver) is simply gone and there is no way to re-detect it.. not even after completely wiping the drivers etc. the ONLY way I ever got it to re-detect was doing a complete rollback until before the driver was ever installed. and then the stick works fine, UNTIL the next reboot, where the same stuff starts all over. after the first driver is installed/launched, the stick's LED flashes constantly.

So unless I keep resetting my system to before the driver was installed every time I reboot, the stick is completely useless. I am running winXP SP2, tried a PCI USB 2.0 card as well as my onboard USB 2.0 ports, always the same result. And I am not alone with this issue apparently, I have found a bunch of reports of this online, just never a solution. I also tried every driver I found, to no avail.. no matter the version, it's always the exact same issue.

Has anyone found any solution for this? I don't understand why the system fails to detect the capture device after the first reboot, and can't even be convinced to look for it after removing the drivers completely.

Users who are viewing this thread