Fullscreen resolution problem (1 Viewer)

ulischultz

Portal Pro
September 16, 2009
Munich
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have a client that is connected via HDMI to a Samsung 4K screen.
When resuming from standby, MP2 is displayed very small, although it is set to always display in fullscreen.
See attachments...

Attachments

• 20150913_085913.jpg
    20150913_085913.jpg
    4.6 MB

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for posting log files. Unfortunately I can't find any hints for resolution changing during resume :(

Are you sure the logs are correct? I only ask because the screen resolution is logged as 720p, and nothing like 4k:
    [2015-09-12 16:29:01,329] [5880 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - SkinEnginePlugin: Startup
    [2015-09-12 16:29:01,739] [6291 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - DirectX: Using adapter: 0 AMD Radeon HD 8330 Hardware
    [2015-09-12 16:29:01,809] [6360 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - DirectX: HAL: AMD Radeon HD 8330
    [2015-09-12 16:29:01,816] [6368 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - GraphicsDevice: DirectX initialized 1280x720 (format: X8R8G8B8 30 Hz)

But I've seen strange resolutions in other cases already. So it could also be some kind of DirectX issue...

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, here is another log, taken right after waking up from standby and MP windows displayed much too small like on the screenshot.
    I think it is exactly the problem, that the window / screen of MP2 is only displayed in 720p and the actual screen resolution and the rest of windows is displayed in 4K.
    After closing MP2 and opening again, everything is fine.
    But like this I cannot use it, since the HTPC is always put in standby if not used.

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In MP1 there was an option to restart MP after waking up from standby.
    I think that would solve many issues. Coudl you implement something like that also in MP2?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In MP1 there was an option to restart MP after waking up from standby.
    I think that would solve many issues. Coudl you implement something like that also in MP2?
    I would prefer a real solution that handles resolution changes properly. IIRC there were problems in the past with HDMI and sleep/resume cycles: sometimes the resolution was temporary decreased and then restored, which affected the Client's GUI size (MP1). And there were situations where it made a difference in which order the devices were turned on.

Edit: as reference there are (at least) following threads:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/windows-7-half-fullscreen.71785/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...half-full-screen-problem.119531/#post-1002802

Last edited:

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm these issues in the past in MP1. I've bought a Gefen HDMI Detective to solve these issues, but this could not be a solution here.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a thought:

The 720P resolution detection makes me wonder that either the tv is connected to the htpc via an AV receiver, or there are two connections from the htpc, one for video to the TV and a 2nd separate hdmi audio connection. Perhaps when the tv is off the htpc sees a 720P display (either the 'AVR without TV' or the video display 'disappears' which makes the audio driver the primary display). The hdmi audio device usually defaults to a 720P display.

I would suggest trying the following

1. Leave TV/AVR on. Let HTPC sleep. Keep TV/AVR powered on. Wait 1 min. Wake HTPC.
    2. Leave TV/AVR on. Let HTPC sleep. Wait 1 min. Turn off TV. Turn off AVR. Wait 1 min. Wake HTPC. Wait 1 min. Turn on AVR. Turn on TV.
    3. Turn off TV. Turn off AVR. Wait 1 min. Let HTPC sleep. Wait 1 min. Wake HTPC. Wait 1 min. Turn on AVR. Turn on TV.

If #1 works fine, and #2 /and/or/ #3 cause issues then the problem relates to the windows/gpu driver changing the resolution. The fix would be an programmable EDID device. eg. Gefen HDMI detective, however there are cheaper similar EDID devices on amazon, and some HDMI splitters will also work for this issue.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If #1 works fine, and #2 /and/or/ #3 cause issues then the problem relates to the windows/gpu driver changing the resolution.
    I had this problem with my previous TV connected directly to my HTPC via HDMI. If the HTPC woke up to perform an unattended recording (TV switched off), Windows or the graphics driver used a default resolution that differed from the one that I had chosen. This then sometimes persisted to the next manual wake.

One factor that I noticed is that the TV broke the HDCP connection when is was put into standby (confirmed by the fact that the display device disappeared from the Windows device table). There was also a "bing bong" when the TV was put into standby with the HTPC still running, and a "bong bing" when the TV was switched on with the HTPC running.

Interestingly, my new TV does not do this: there are no bing bongs, and the display device remains present in the Windows device table, even when the TV is in standby. My conclusion is that the TV maintains the HDCP connection at all times. I cannot tell if this solves the resolution problem, since I am using the native resolution.

Quite by accident I did find a soluton to the problem that I had with my previous TV. I use an Nvidia graphics adapter, and that has various options with regard to where video processing is performed. By enabling "allow the graphics adpater to scale the image", the problem was solved; the HTPC no longer lost the screen resolution that I had set.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ulischultz

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I also guess, that it is something like this, that the HDMI connection breaks when the HTPC is in standby and reverts to 720p then for whatever reason.
    When waking up from standby, the MP2 screen remains in this wrong resolution, while the rest of windows instantly switches back to the correct resolution.
    I did a workaround now by a script, that restarts MP2, after waking up from standby.
    It costs some seconds of startup time until everything is back available, but it works for now...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ulischultz I have prepared a modified version of the SkinEngine which adds some logging for screen resolution changes. Also the device will be rebuilt in such cases.

The log file will contain lines like:
    Code:
    [2015-09-15 21:59:58,015] [26367  ] [Main  ] [INFO ] - SkinEngine MainForm: Display changed to 1776x1000@32.
    [2015-09-15 21:59:58,018] [26370  ] [Main  ] [WARN ] - GraphicsDevice: Resetting DX device...
    [2015-09-15 21:59:58,042] [26394  ] [Main  ] [WARN ] - GraphicsDevice: ContentManager.TotalAllocationSize = 16, should be 0!
    [2015-09-15 21:59:59,036] [27388  ] [Main  ] [WARN ] - GraphicsDevice: Device successfully reset
    [2015-09-15 22:00:07,473] [35825  ] [Main  ] [INFO ] - SkinEngine MainForm: Display changed to 1920x1080@32.

There is also a new feature included: the MP2 client window now has a third state: Windowed, Fullscreen and now "Windowed On Top". This allows you to keep MP2 client window always on top. When you resize the window, the skin's aspect ratio will be preserved.

Please make a backup of your current version of MP2-Client\Plugins\SkinEngine and copy over the attached one.

Then please do a sleep/resume cycle and post logs.

Attachments

• 20150915_SkinEngine_ScreenSizeTest.zip
      1,008.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread