Good/Bad results with TV Engine 3 (4 Viewers)

How has your experience with the new TV Engine been?

• Great! No problems at all!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Good, but took some work to get it going.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Okay, but I think it needs lots of work.

Votes: 59 41.5%
  • Frustrating - I switched back to 0.2.1.0!

Votes: 46 32.4%

• Total voters

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Now setup a dualboot on my pc for playing with the TVServer.

Using Yesterdays downloads, setup went fine, can watch TV through server.
    EPG just sticks on BBC3 grabbing EPG in manual mode.

On rebooting, TVServer has change DVB-t cards to analogue, and you have to close server down and restart again, to be able to watch tv again.

Again this is BETA and good for what eventually will be a superb piece of software engineering, But not to be used by anyone who wants reliability at the moment.

MZWiZard

Portal Member
    October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Finally got it working today! For the first time, the TV part was playing in the bedroom AND the living room!! How sweet is that! And changing channels from the bedroom also no problems.

Looking at the wiki for tvserver, I think it misses out which ports have to be open on client side and server side. I had to disable my firewall to get it running, so I'm awaiting the specific ports, before I dare try again.

Great work though, very impressive! :)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    My experience has been bad with the new TV Server. I used the SVN of TV Server from November 10th (rev 11662) and Media Portal SVN from the same day (and same revision number). I uninstalled MP, installed 0.2.0.0 and started from zero.

I managed to get it working in less time than I anticipated. But it barely works on my set up: TV does not start most of the times, changing channel is very slow (5 to 10 seconds), and it completely ignores tha channel order that I set, so it takes a lot of time to find the channel you want to see.

I'm not complaining, it's an early beta. But I can't use it as it is now. So I'm back at 0.2.1.0.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Keep in mind the one key word about the TV Server at the moment........BETA!

I tried it, it worked somewhat, I went back to 0.2.1.0 until it's at a more usable state.

Noelix

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2006
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I actually just switched over to the latest build/tv server setup over the weekend. I wouldn't say it was a breeze to set up; it took me a while to get it going (and I'm sure it would turn many away from trying it out altogether) - but once I got it all set up and going, the tv recording/viewing portion of MP seems to work great! It's a great sign of things to come. It's important for us to try out these beta products so we can report bugs and feature requests.

cdouglas

Portal Member
    September 10, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Setup was rather straight forward, I got it up and running in about 30 mins with 2 clients. But audio and EPG doesn't work yet. And there were some major stability problems, it crashed alot in random places.

MZWiZard

Portal Member
    October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    My Experience so far (after running tvserver/client for about a month) is this:

When doing daily scheduled recordings, sometimes the audio looses sync and its impossible to repair afterwards in eg. virtualdub.

Although a little slow, client generally works on same pc as the tvserver.

MCE remote looses control after some time, when using serverblaster and built-in support on client running on server pc. This could be related to serverblaster.

When server pc is freshly booted, connecting networked client is working and its possible to change channels. If client on server pc is connected first, networked client usually hangs when trying to connect.

I'm updating about every 3. day to see if theres improvements.

I see a bright future ahead, once this is fully working :)

JMH

Portal Member
    June 24, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    England England
    This has been sooo tempting! Sadly I've been unable to get everything working and I've experienced all of the probs mentioned in the previous posts. I've been updating daily, but I'll probably look at doing it every few days as I need a working version.

This is tremendous work, even for a BETA and I really look forward to this developing. Many Thanks for all the hard work

Users who are viewing this thread