Good/Bad results with TV Engine 3 (3 Viewers)

How has your experience with the new TV Engine been?

• Great! No problems at all!

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Good, but took some work to get it going.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Okay, but I think it needs lots of work.

Votes: 59 41.5%
  • Frustrating - I switched back to 0.2.1.0!

Votes: 46 32.4%

• Total voters

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can't seem to run the client & server on different machines. I get horrible audio/video stuttering. Anyone else seen this?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Yes, apart from the pause some timeshifting issues it does run well.

I have Analog cards and they are connected trough Wired 100Mb Half-Duplex Lan. I tested streaming up to 3 machines without video quality issues.

Julio

c.hilding

Portal Member
    November 17, 2006
    ABANDONED ACCOUNT
    Home Country
    I chose frustrating because (TV-Server Dec 23, 2006) has a bad Auto-tune for channels. This autotuning misses a lot of channels that Mediaportal 0.2.1.0's autotuner can find. I mean 4-5 channels are missing! Not only that, but I use the Hauppauge PVR-500MCE and 1 of the tuners find 1 more channel than the other one. Now that is f*cked up, they are on the same card and sharing a single cable input! I want to be able to enter EVERY channel manually by channel number/frequency, then order them any way I want. Plus export/import the lists directly to the card's mapping. Is this so much to ask? European users are posting about problems everywhere due to not being able to manually do this. Sigh. :(

So in short, I want the card setup (TV-Serves -> Machine name -> Card1/2/3 etc) to have:
    • Add channel manually by entering an index or frequency.
    • Renaming these channels immediately and easily.
    • Reordering the channels right in the card setup, not just the channel mapper. Right now they sorted by "index", which is the scary USA way of ordering channels! Sigh again. The world does not revolve around america. We want sorting by frequency, index or order.
    • Being able to export and import the list.

Carlitos

Portal Member
    October 9, 2006
    MU
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    After two tries and a couple of readings in the forum I finally got it working. Works fine, except for the channel order and the time to switch between channels. I have it working with a wlan HTPC and another two computers (one wlan and another one by cable) and streaming is good (sometimes a little sttutering in the wlan client). I'm switching back to no-server but I'll be checking and trying new releases.

VincentD72

Portal Member
    December 30, 2004
    Italy
    I choose "frustrating" because after a lot of time I've always the same bad result.
    2% of "Good" + 18% of "Good, but took some work to get it going" I think is a bad results for a beta too.
    I understand that the work is hard, but I would know what Card work "great"?

I have a Technotrend T-3000 Hybrid (with BDA driver) and the DVB-T tuning work, the anolog no, but the client part freeze Mediaportal ....
    :(

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    My experience was it took a while to get it setup, worked, but it is still a bit too beta to be used in the main viewing area.

The probs I had with the new engine are:-

I got no EPG data even after 6 hours so you don't know what's on and can't easily record (unless manually entering times)

Remote PC stutters over wireless but worked better over cabled LAN. Playback of recordings was unuseable, but if same file played via a share using MyVideos then it plays fine over wireless so I guess its not a bandwidth issue as such but the streaming?

Blue screens and reboots PC (rare but has happened)

I had high hopes when I migrated from Myth to MediaPortal and though many pretty features are added to MP at a fast rate, the general core stability and basic features don't seem to move forward (Teletext, subtitles, multiplex splitting, MVP codecs don't support anamorphic flag so streams are all at wrong aspect ratio, no web remote access, uses HUGE amounts of RAM and takes ages to load up, unresponsive U.I, over complicated interface etc). It would be nice if there was a 'new feature' freeze and the basics implemented (as found on standard commercial dtv hard drive recorders) and solidified and profiled to be a lot more efficient to get to a v1.0 release or it will remain in the hobbyist domain forever.

I have reverted to v0.2.2.0 myself as the remote client features don't seem to work smoothly enough yet and with no EPG data I cannot really use it. But I DO still have high hopes.

achappey

Portal Member
    January 2, 2007
    Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My experiences with the new tv engine are very well. It's installed on my main tv (localhost) for a week now and runs smoothly stable. Never had a crash or bluescreen, recordings went all ok, timeshifting works fine. Only minor is zapping is slower. webepg works also fine, great that i don't have to see any channels without epg in the guide... :D

I've also tested it with my desktop computer (27 mbit bandwidth) and runs perfectly smooth, also zapping and recording... :)
    I've to thank you also from my neighbour because as result of the new tv engine he's supplied with a tv/radio recorder... :)

cosmos

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I like the idea with the server and client architect therefore i did my first step with the new tv engine 3. It works ... but i think all what depends with the mytv plugin in the MP are very slow now. To turn on tv, change channel, etc.
    Can anyone tell me how i can improve this. I hope the the new tv engine 3 will be better than the old engine and not otherwise.

Thanks for any response.

Users who are viewing this thread