Ongoing How fast CPU have your Media Portal HTPC? (1 Viewer)

How fast CPU have your Media Portal HTPC?

• Total voters

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
In my "office" Pc I have an AMD athlon64 3000 "Venice" with a Zalman cnps 7000 Cu, connected to speedfan. I notice that most of the time the fan stops completely =)

In my HTPC I have an old Intel p4 2.8GHz Northwood with a large Thermaltake XP120 using a PAPST 4412 2GLL 120mm ultra-lowspeed fan.

regards
knut

Sy[N]tH

Portal Member
July 12, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
CPU speed...

I'm running an A64 3000+ overclocked to 2ghz, all cooled with a zalman CNPS7000 copper cooler... Overkill for an HTPC yes, but when I plug in my logitech controller and play NFS:U or Prince of Persia, the horsepower helps :)

By the way, I don't have a HD ready TV nor HD television service so the cpu is more than enough for now.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
My 2.6GHz P4 (with 2GB of 400MHz DDR HT RAM), sucks and I would like more HP... You see I use it on a 1920x1080@50 (PAL country here) native panel and everything needs enough power to go on...

jmphx

November 18, 2006
phoenix, az
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester, on MSI K8NGM2-NBP. OC'd to 2250mhz (250*9), which is max for this motherboard. stock voltage.

So far, I've been able to do all of the following w/ mediaportal, no problem:

- plays 1080i and 1080p (yes, i have 1 1080p movie) in mpeg2 .ts just fine
- plays dvd's, upscale w/ ffdshow to 1440x960 (lanczos 4, and blur/NR)
- plays 720p h.264 (ffdshow/libavcodec decoder) just fine up to about 7-8mbit. any higher and it gets choppy. (can't do 1080i or 1080p h.264, it gets choppy, even at 3mbit, IIRC)
- plays mp3s (duh)
- I don't do any TV capture with this HTPC, so can't comment on that

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Athlon XP 2600, Watercooled & Overclocked To 2410 Mhz (approx 3200xp?)
1gb ddr333

Only run it at that so i can game off it too

Radeon 9800 Underclocked 329/273!!!! when 2d, Overclocked to 420/369 when 3d (also watercooled)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
knutinh
Ive got 18,000 tracks in the DB (114Gb) not including the 30gb ive not tagged yet :eek:( and even when im listing ALL songs im onkly waiting 10/15 seconds.
Usually list by albums and its about a 5s lag for 980 items.
If your using it primerially for mp3s have you thought about copying the DB to a ramdrive on boot and changing the path to the DB, would have thought that will speed it up, **** could cause problems though! """" not tried it yet

Be interesting to find out if anyone can beat my 26,000 mp3`s

Micke_L

Portal Member
March 1, 2006
Ornskoldsvik
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Waiting for a Abit IL9 motherboard to use my Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 512Mb DDR667 RAM

'til then I still use a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott and 1024Mb DDR400 RAM

Upgrading so I can play hi-res games etc. on it without lag later when I get the cash to get a 40" LCD or Plasma :/.

lampie

Portal Pro
November 26, 2005
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Core2duo E6300 1,83GHz @ 2.7GHz
4x 320 Gb Raid 5
2x 250 JBOD
6600GT 128MB
Zalman Reserator 1+ watercooled (GPU and CPU)
Northbridge is also silent (no active cooler)
530W powersupply

1080P X264 == 15% proc load ;)

Vroemmm... :)

Users who are viewing this thread