[Question] How to access? (1 Viewer)

reviTULize

Portal Member
September 2, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have configured MPExtended and just added WebMediaPortal on my server; but I cannot find any documentation on how to access it remotely from a PC. I have aMPdroid and it works just fine. How do I access it on my PC while traveling?

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    I have never played with this myself, but I'll give some general directions, maybe that will help you find the info you need, or at least give you some keywords to search on.

The wiki page says that after installing WebMediaPortal, it's reachable on port 8080 on your MediaPortal server by default. To access it from another PC on your LAN therefore, enter "http://<ip address of you server>:8080" in your browser. E.g. if your MePo server has IP address 10.0.0.1, then enter "http://10.0.0.1:8080". You will of course have to make sure port 8080 is accessible throught the firewall on your MePo server. Make sure that works over your LAN first.

Now you're talking about accessing from a PC outside your LAN, i.e. over the internet. For that, you'll additionally need to set up dynamic DNS (unless you have a static IP address from your ISP), and forward a port on your internet router to port 8080 on your MePo server. I don't know what free dynamic DNS service is flavour of the month these days, but I would look in the documentation of your internet router, many support various dynamic DNS services; set up one of those, that will give you a URL that you can use to address your router over the internet. And again for the port forwarding, you need to look at your router documentation and/or an external guide like this to see how it's done on your router.

HTH

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have never played with this myself, but I'll give some general directions, maybe that will help you find the info you need, or at least give you some keywords to search on.

The wiki page says that after installing WebMediaPortal, it's reachable on port 8080 on your MediaPortal server by default. To access it from another PC on your LAN therefore, enter "http://<ip address of you server>:8080" in your browser. E.g. if your MePo server has IP address 10.0.0.1, then enter "http://10.0.0.1:8080". You will of course have to make sure port 8080 is accessible throught the firewall on your MePo server. Make sure that works over your LAN first.

Now you're talking about accessing from a PC outside your LAN, i.e. over the internet. For that, you'll additionally need to set up dynamic DNS (unless you have a static IP address from your ISP), and forward a port on your internet router to port 8080 on your MePo server. I don't know what free dynamic DNS service is flavour of the month these days, but I would look in the documentation of your internet router, many support various dynamic DNS services; set up one of those, that will give you a URL that you can use to address your router over the internet. And again for the port forwarding, you need to look at your router documentation and/or an external guide like this to see how it's done on your router.

HTH
    Thank you @tony72 !!!
    I already had the ddns setup. Also, I must have missed where it said to forward port 8080.
    I got right in...thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread