megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Make crossfading feuture depend on the actual/next played music genre

I like the cross-fading feature of mediaportal. It sound nice when playing albums with pop, rock, ect.
    But if you are listen to a live album or an album with speech, cross-fading sounds not so good. The first seconds of the child story albums of my son are not good to understand with cross-fading and with my live rock concert albums it is the same.

So the following would be nice for me:

In MePo configuration set the cross-fading feature in dependency of the title genre.

If the actual or next playing titles genre is member of a group of genres where cross-fading is not allowed the next title is played without cross-fading. Otherwise cross-fading is done.

What do you think about this?

BR,
    Megahorst

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: Make crossfading feuture depend on the actual/next played music genre

I like the cross-fading feature of mediaportal. It sound nice when playing albums with pop, rock, ect.
    But if you are listen to a live album or an album with speech, cross-fading sounds not so good. The first seconds of the child story albums of my son are not good to understand with cross-fading and with my live rock concert albums it is the same.

So the following would be nice for me:

In MePo configuration set the cross-fading feature in dependency of the title genre.

If the actual or next playing titles genre is member of a group of genres where cross-fading is not allowed the next title is played without cross-fading. Otherwise cross-fading is done.

What do you think about this?

BR,
    Megahorst

That should already work in MP 1.2.
    If you press "Play" while you are on the Album level, i.e. you have the albums of an artist displayed and select play from there, i should disable crossfading for ths album.
    When you start play on the Track List of an Album, then Crossfading is used.
    i must admit that i haven't tried this for a while now, but theoretically it should work like this

mp.user

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear community,

I use MediaPortal 1.2.1.0 for a few months now and I'm quite happy with it. I think it's the best media center application around, nevertheless there a a few things I'd like to see improved. I hope this is the correct place to tell, please notify me if not.

1. Allow '.jpeg' as extension for thumbnail creation
      There's a checkbox in the music database configuration to use '.jpg' and '.png' files for creation of album thumbnails. I use to download images from discogs where JPEGs usually have the extension '.jpeg'. It would be nice if this extension would be supported by default so that I don't have to rename or copy those files.

2. Configure format mask in View levels other than Track View
      I'd like to list albums in the form Album Artist - Album. I've seen this on a screenshot in the Wiki article for MyMusic 1.1. For 1.2 this seems to be possible only on the Track View: "The masks only affect what is displayed when viewing tracks. When looking at a folder (a view level other than tracks or a directory folder in shares view) the description shown is based on the view level or directory name." (from the MyMusic 1.2 Wiki article)

3. Distinction of releases / Support for more tag fields

1. Subtitle & Remixer
        My music collection mainly consists of electronic music. In this genre you find quite often that a track not only has artist and title but also version (or remix title) and a remix artist. There are metadata fields to store this info (ID3: TIT3 and TPE4). Unfortunately MediaPortal doesn't support them. For example, when browsing Funkagenda - Afterclub, the MediaPortal tracklist shows 5 tracks all looking the same: Funkagenda | Big Ed - Afterclub.
        Note: Of course you could merge the remix info with the main fields Title and Artist as a workaround; the backside is that you lose information who is main artist and who is remixer.

2. Release Time
        I have a lot of DJ mixes in my collection. A mix is often released as part of a mix series; for one series there are several mixes per year, e.g. each month a new mix. I want to list theses mixes in the correct order, i.e. not alphabetically by title but by release time. Unfortunately, MediaPortal only allows the year to sort, which is not finegranular enough. I use the Release Time field (ID3: TDRL) to store the correct date and I'd like to use this one for sorting purposes.

3. Publisher, Release Time
        MediaPortal uses the combination of Album Artist and Album to distinguish releases. This is OK for common cases; some releases are not handled correctly, tough.

Example 1: Compilations have no Album Artist - we use workarounds like a common compilation artist like Various Artists or the configuration option Treat file in a folder as an album.
        Example 2: There are releases with the same album artist and album title. These should be treated as different releases, but MediaPortal creates one single release containing all tracks of all releases (impossible to sort correctly). Examples:
        Max Mix on Max Music (Spain) and Max Mix on Max Music Records (Germany)
        Queen - Greatest Hits on Balkanton, Queen - Greatest Hits on Hollywood Records and Queen - Greatest Hits on Gong
        Example 3: There are releases where each CD has its own Album Artist. MediaPortal treats each CD as a different album. Examples:
        Hard Trance X-Plosion XIII, XIV and XX

Besides the album title, I suggest to use the Publisher (ID3: TPUB) and/or Release Time (ID3: TDRL) and/or Year (ID3v2.4: TDRC, ID3v2.3: TYER) to distinguish releases.

Note: I use a custom field PUBLISHER_ID to store the catalog number of a release. IMHO this is the only simple and correct way to identify a release. Since every release is published by someone, there should always be such an ID. But since this is a custom solution, I do not suggest to integrate it into Media Portal.

4. Language
        It would be nice if we could create views that filter by language (ID3: TLAN).

4. Record Webradio
      The Wiki article for Radio doesn't differenciate between DVB and Web radio, thus I thought i's possible to rip webstrams. Later I found a note on the bottom of the Wiki article for TV Server that this feature is not supported. Now I use streamripper and the Windows scheduler for this purpose, but integration into the MediaPortal GUI would be nice.

5. CUE-File support for PureAudio
      I use PureAudio because I need gapless playback for DJ mixes. Playing CUE-Files seems not to be supported, though; the track is skipped and I in the logs I see a message like
      Code:
      [ERROR] PureAudio.Main(21)]: Cannot create stream from C:\music\filename.cue.fake.track.01.mp3: BASS_ERROR_FILEOPEN.
      I guess this is because PureAudio does not support CUE-Files (which I read on the forums ).

I tried to solve these issues by myself but didn't succeed, thus I post them as feature requests. I appreciate any hint if I overlooked something.

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Ideas for Music Section 1.3

there are some things that i am missing sometimes and always wanted to mention here. first, a repeatfunction i liked on my old cdplayer to toggle between: repeat nothing, repeat singletrack, repeat all. the way by creating a playlist with the single catchy tune you wanna listen to and repeating this one is a way to realize this but not really comfortable since you have to shutdown scrobbling for other songs and stuff...

and another thing would be the option to easily copy a selected track onto a usbdrive (or even copy the whole playlist...) via the hidden menu. since there is no mp installed in my car^^ i have to use sdcards/usbsticks instead and for copying songs i have to close mp, plugin a mouse/keyboard and copy songs the oldfashioned way. costs way of time and is uncomfortable. such a feature within mp would be pretty cool i think...

tagging a file would be great since it's kinda annoying to quit mp to start an editor, try to remember this or these songs later or write down a note for later editing... but i already read anywhere that this feature won't be realized... what a pity :(

i really like the love/ban feature. an improvement suggestion would be a short feedback if it worked by telling "Done." or sth like this staying for 1 sec on the screen after loving a song and then disappears. also it would be nice if an icon could be shown when a loved song is playing but i don't know if this has to be adressed to the skinners...

is there a list with the collected ideas and the ones which might get into 1.3 or later releases?

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

there are some things that i am missing sometimes and always wanted to mention here. first, a repeatfunction i liked on my old cdplayer to toggle between: repeat nothing, repeat singletrack, repeat all. the way by creating a playlist with the single catchy tune you wanna listen to and repeating this one is a way to realize this but not really comfortable since you have to shutdown scrobbling for other songs and stuff...

and another thing would be the option to easily copy a selected track onto a usbdrive (or even copy the whole playlist...) via the hidden menu. since there is no mp installed in my car^^ i have to use sdcards/usbsticks instead and for copying songs i have to close mp, plugin a mouse/keyboard and copy songs the oldfashioned way. costs way of time and is uncomfortable. such a feature within mp would be pretty cool i think...

tagging a file would be great since it's kinda annoying to quit mp to start an editor, try to remember this or these songs later or write down a note for later editing... but i already read anywhere that this feature won't be realized... what a pity :(

i really like the love/ban feature. an improvement suggestion would be a short feedback if it worked by telling "Done." or sth like this staying for 1 sec on the screen after loving a song and then disappears. also it would be nice if an icon could be shown when a loved song is playing but i don't know if this has to be adressed to the skinners...

is there a list with the collected ideas and the ones which might get into 1.3 or later releases?

+1 for the feature to copy a track or playlist to USB-Stick or maybe to an smartphone like android over Wlan would be very very nice.

I have collect all the Ideas in a Spreasdheet, but not exactly know what of the ideas is plannend for 1.3. But I think the Ideas in in Red in this Spreadsheet are planned for 1.3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiRIr-ySWth5dG16MzVaQ3VzSG5LMkNOLTVNZ18zS3c&hl=de#gid=0

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

+1 for the feature to copy a track or playlist to USB-Stick or maybe to an smartphone like android over Wlan would be very very nice.

I have collect all the Ideas in a Spreasdheet, but not exactly know what of the ideas is plannend for 1.3. But I think the Ideas in in Red in this Spreadsheet are planned for 1.3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiRIr-ySWth5dG16MzVaQ3VzSG5LMkNOLTVNZ18zS3c&hl=de#gid=0

nice idea with the smartphone, haven't thought this far since i copied songs via ampdroid, but you're right, for the comfortable usage scenario it would be better not to have to switch to the phone anymore, start the app, search the actual playing song and copy over... so any plugged in external drives/sticks/sdcards/phones should be listed to choose from... although i don't know how complicated the implementaion would be on the other side...

thx for the list!

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=3410

Will have a think about this

Tagging does not work in a 10' UI for me. This is not a part of a music player (but someone could implement this as a plugin...)

This unfortunately is not possible with the current last.fm code and rewriting would take a fair amount of effort

The main focus is going to be on the player code (attempting to implement WASAPI and fix a few limitations). The other stuff will then fit on top time allowing

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can I put my vote in for the following, these would make my MePo music perfect.
    Is it possible to include a graphic equaliser as my old rock and roll recordings need all the help they can get but I don't like too much "oomph" on the TV audio and separate control would be excellent. I realise that I could use an external player like Winamp etc. but I believe that rules out visualisations (?)
    now playing buttons turn on / off auto playlist
    search functionality
    lyrics functionality
    jukebox
    replay gain, again would overcome the problem of hitting the volume buttons all the time.
    shuffle all (select genre, artist , album etc then choose play in random order)..Great!
    Thanks for your efforts on this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread