im confused (1 Viewer)

ipguy

Portal Pro
May 10, 2011
Home Country
can someone please explain to me "how/why" I would use this plugin ?
does it work with recorded TV, is this it's main function ?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You can use it with recorded TV if you have EPG data that matched it. There are forum threads to discuss how to make that work as this is easier for some countries as it is for others.

If you can provide this plugin with a filename that contains the "Show Name" then you are half way there. All it then needs alongside is either "Season" + "Episode" info or an "AirDate", and it will be able to show you synopsis, artwork, actor details and an easy way to keep track of what you watch and sync that up with the cloud if you want (Follw.it or Trakt.tv).

Or you can import your DVDs into it. Ideally ripped to your harddisk as backups on an individual file basis, but there is a 3rd party tool on the forum that supports hardlinks to the optical medium (but who really wants to get up and swap optical medium when HDD prices are as low as they are :cool:)

With some manual punishment you can even import sport shows into it as quite a few users have done to make it easy to re-watch a classic sport event. Normally only what is supported at TheTVdB.com website works, and they do not allow sport events, which is why you have to do it manually. The wiki explains this in detail.

But the main purpose is to make it easy to watch your TV-series collection and keep up with newly released episodes.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If you have recorded a season of episodes for a TV series that you would like to keep and catalog, and possibly having removed the commercials, as well as, possibly, converted/compressed them to a format other than TS, or have purchased the season dvds of said TV Series and ripped the episodes, individually, to your HDD, after renaming them to a thetvdv.com compatible naming convention (It's not exactly turnkey) Then MPTVSeries will allow you to catalog, display, and play your episodes in a pleasing visual interface within MediaPortal. It is not designed to play Movies, unless They are made-for-tv movies that are listed in thetvdb.com's catalog.

for me, it is a must have (with over 100 complete TV series on my HDDs)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    to be blunt it's really suited for those who have 'acquired' a lot of tv series and want to database them with episode summaries/thumbnails etc. Not really suited for Recorded TV.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you've got a lot of self recorded tv that you want to look nice, you could consider using my thumbnailer plugin which will download thumbnails for My Recordings from fanart.tv/thetvdb.

ipguy

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2011
    Home Country
    If you've got a lot of self recorded tv that you want to look nice, you could consider using my thumbnailer plugin which will download thumbnails for My Recordings from fanart.tv/thetvdb.

i record some kids programs for my 6yr old son who like to get his daily fix of play school and/or octonauts, will this do the trick any file the recording into a neat location with fanart ?

where can i find your plugin ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No it just searchs fanart.tv / thetvdb so you have a nicer thumbnail, link is in my sig. I prefer to keep recorded tv within the tvserver recorded tv database.

ipguy

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2011
    Home Country
    No it just searchs fanart.tv / thetvdb so you have a nicer thumbnail, link is in my sig. I prefer to keep recorded tv within the tvserver recorded tv database.

OK I'm still not following, speak to me like I'm a 5yr old please

How does this integrate with recorded tv ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It uses thumbnails from fanart.tv nd thetvdb isntead of screengrabs from the recording.
    (Nothing else is changed/different from My Recordings)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread