[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @edterbak You do get the Messages in the HID demo right? Screenshot of the Messages tab welcome.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    We thought that Mantis device could be our problem but now we see you have one too and it works for you.
    Note that the Mantis HID driver can be installed/configured with different mappings/modes. Only one of them is a MCE-compatible mode. The mode could make a difference.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We thought that Mantis device could be our problem but now we see you have one too and it works for you.
    Note that the Mantis HID driver can be installed/configured with different mappings/modes. Only one of them is a MCE-compatible mode. The mode could make a difference.

So it does look like we are closing in on our issue then. @edterbak and @FrankBert Could you check your Mantis configuration then?
    Please do post screenshots.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So it does look like we are closing in on our issue then.
    My comment was only meant to be informative. :)
    To be clear: I am saying that the Mantis HID driver may be causing the problem... or it may have nothing to do with it. I honestly don't know. The fact that edterbak's remote works and he has the Mantis HID driver running could be seen as evidence that the Mantis HID driver is not causing the problem. However, such evidence does not yet convince me to eliminate it as a possibility (because I have some feeling for how complex the driver is).

Anyhow, the discussion you were looking for is here (note: team private development thread, not publicly accessible :) ):
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp1-remote-event-handlers.128026/

The code I referenced is here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Plugins/TunerExtensions/Twinhan/RemoteControl

I don't think the code does anything in relation to usage collections. In fact, I don't even know how to find out which collection a received usage belongs to. All I know is the usage itself, and the usage page. :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anyhow, the discussion you were looking for is here (note: team private development thread, not publicly accessible :) ):
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp1-remote-event-handlers.128026/

The code I referenced is here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Plugins/TunerExtensions/Twinhan/RemoteControl

Thanks I had confused that 0x89 usage collection with that terratec 0xffcc usage page.
    I just tried registering for that 0x89 usage collection and you get some low level messages it seems.
    I notably get messages when hitting digits, direction keys and ok button which you don't on the 0x88.
    Anyway that's off topic I guess.

jreed5359

Portal Member
    August 1, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm using the official Microsoft MCE RC6 Remote and running Windows 10. My setup worked great on MediaPortal v1.12 using the Microsoft MCE remote drivers. However, after
    upgrading to the latest MP v1.13 I noticed a bunch of my remote buttons stopped working, such as stop, play, ffw, rew, skip and replay. I found out that v1.13 removed support for the Microsoft MCE driver and now only supports the Generic HID driver. I searched here on the forums but didn't find anything that helped with my situation.

I have since re-installed v1.12 so I can use the Microsoft MCE driver and everything works fine. Any suggestions on how I can get my Windows MCE remote working completely with the Generic HID driver so I can upgrade to v1.13?

Crew

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    I have the same problem. My remote looks exactly like the image below running windows 7 and I have no green button function or back button. Very annoying.
    image_preview

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    where can I find the config file you are looking for?
    It's not in a file. The configuration comes from the driver's inf file. When the driver is installed, the configuration is copied into the registry.

From what I have seen the configuration is probably not intended to be modified by regular people like us. In some cases there are sparse comments in the inf files, but clearly we would not be expected to deal with that stuff. We would just install the driver and use it as-is. The vendor's driver engineer will customise the configuration for the remote and software that the vendor intends to bundle with the card... and that's it.

You could try to find the configuration in your registry, but it will be slightly different locations for each system. In my case it is...

Main tuner device:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0042

HID device:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}\0039

The last part (0042, 0039) is the part that I think will be different.
    upload_2016-1-11_12-56-48.png

upload_2016-1-11_12-57-4.png

upload_2016-1-11_12-57-19.png

upload_2016-1-11_12-45-34.png

In the DriverData sub-folder you find the mapping. Each RC_Scancode_** key is a mapping for a remote key:
    upload_2016-1-11_12-47-6.png

You can see various keys related to the remote control (IRSYSCODECHECK1, RC_Scancode, RC_Configuration etc.) in the screenshots above. I know what some of them mean/do, but it often depends on the driver/card (eg. TerraTec is different to AzureWave/Twinhan, which is different to TechniSat).

Trying to understand and fiddle with all this stuff seems like a potentially huge time waster to me. In my opinion if you want to check if the Mantis HID device is making a difference, better to just uninstall or disable the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom