• June 4, 2008
    Bremen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

I want to build an new HTPC to get HDTV. Does anybody know this mainboard:

Asus M4A88TD-M EVO

Which CPU sould I use with it?
    Is onboard grafics fast enough for HDTV?

Thanks for answering.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I can't comment on that specific board, I have used "previous" models, and my test rig runs the model "above": M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX

I'll be honest, I have had problems wih the M4A89GTD, I think the BIOS is a little flacky (I'm running the latest release).

Sometimes it just rebooted itself, other times on BIOS bootup, its reported its corrupt and wants to reload defaults.

I'll probably return it under warranty.

In relation to graphics, 1080i is the most intensive to process/handle. If you manage to get DXVA (hardware acceleration) working, then the CPU isn't too important, its the graphics processor/card that is.

In theory anything above an ATI HD3200 should be ok, I have run one of those, and a 4200, 4290, and a 5450 card.

To play safe, alot of people are just fitting a passive ATI 5450 card into the HTPC.

As for processor, if you are going down the AMD route, get a Phenom II energy effecient chip. I run an old 705e (triple core), and a more hotter 550 Black edition. (and a x2 6000 in a spare machine)

Chances are my post isn't too much help. But hopefully someone who runs that exact board will be a long shortly :)

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I tried setting the windows screensaver to power off the display on my MP1 HTPC but in fact it only blanks the screen ("no video signal") on the TV I suspect the AVR has something to do with that. If I manually put the TV only into standby when TV is playing but paused then on wakeup I could not immediately take it out of pause and...
    I tried setting the windows screensaver to power off the display on my MP1 HTPC but in fact it only blanks the screen ("no video...
    Hi all, I´m using MP 1.30 at the moment and have a problem which also exists on my system on previous versions. So I don´t think...
    Replies
    Views
    done: Loading...
    done: Loading...
    Hi guys, iam using Mediaportal 1 many many years now. But since 2 years i have a strange problem that i cant figured out. Randomly...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 New HTPC Mainboard DE
    After many hours of work, I have gotten FLIRC to work as a controller for MP It has its problems, and support is nonexistent, but it can be used as an IR remote receiver for almost any IR remote. The key (thanks to @Rob Hexenmeister) is to use the "Full Keyboard" profile and forget about the others. MCE remote support is flaky and...
    After many hours of work, I have gotten FLIRC to work as a controller for MP It has its problems, and support is nonexistent, but...
    I am looking to replace my current HTPC mainboard (Intel DH67GD) with one which is Windows 11 compatible. Additional requirements...
    Replies
    Views
    If the files are accessible on your network, which I guess they must be if PowerDVD can play them then you should be able to find them in MP2. See here for further info. Quote:- MP2 uses the concept of distributed media, but centralized information. This means that your media items can be anywhere - on your MP2 Server, on your MP2...
    If the files are accessible on your network, which I guess they must be if PowerDVD can play them then you should be able to find...
    I started experimenting with tuner cards and HTPC before Jack Valenti and his DRM-media Nazis ruined things with their HDCP and DRM...
    Replies
    Views
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
    This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this: I...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom