Mapping Recording Folders as Sources (1 Viewer)

StroppyOz

Portal Member
July 4, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi, complete nube question but should recordings automatically appear under TV | Recordings? or do I have to map my TV recording folders as media sources? I'm guessing the latter - yes?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

should recordings automatically appear under TV | Recordings?
    New recordings created by MediaPortal will automatically appear there.

There is also a section in TV Server configuration that enables you to import existing recordings:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration/07_Recording#Database_import

However, in order to import recordings, you must have a Matroska format XML file [containing the recording details - title, channel, date etc.] for each recording. You almost certainly don't have these. It's possible to create them (they're just text files; if you want to see an example, do a test recording and take a look at the one MediaPortal creates)... but I guess it may be more effort than you'd like.

or do I have to map my TV recording folders as media sources?
    Aside from the approach described above, you can add your recording folders as sources for the video section:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/2_Videos/1_Video_Folders

Hope that answers your question. :)
    mm

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, complete nube question but should recordings automatically appear under TV | Recordings? or do I have to map my TV recording folders as media sources? I'm guessing the latter - yes?
    @mm1352000 the question was posted inside MP2 forum, so I guess it is related to it.

So I'd like to give another answer:
    Yes, you have to create a MediaSource for the recording folder, so the existing recordings and all new ones are visible to the MediaLibrary and the SlimTV recordings section. (New recordings, even in progress appear immediately in "Recordings" as well).

You can even assign category "Movie" or "Series", so recordings will be imported as respective item as well (if possible).
    With Summer '15 release, recordings of MCE (.wtv, .dvr-ms) are also visible by this way.

Configuration hint:
    You can configure different patterns for single and series recordings in SetupTV, like
    • Movies\{movie/single recording pattern) --> Can be added as "Movie" category
    • Series\{series recording pattern) --> Can be added as "Series" category

StroppyOz

Portal Member
    July 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for your responses. @morpheus_xx is correct in assuming my query pertains to MP2.

The recording didn't automatically appear under the SlimTV 'Recordings' section which is why I ended up mapping it as a resource.

I'll have a play with it to see if this was a one-off and advise.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @morpheus_xx
    IMHO both answers are important, even for MP2.
    While it's nice to have access to the list of recordings in the user interface, TVE would benefit more from importing the recordings "properly"... because then they can be used for preventing duplicate recordings (as people often want to do). I understand why you've chosen to treat recordings as a media source, but in some ways I'm also disappointed because that is not the best solution from a TVE perspective.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    While it's nice to have access to the list of recordings in the user interface, TVE would benefit more from importing the recordings "properly"... because then they can be used for preventing duplicate recordings (as people often want to do). I understand why you've chosen to treat recordings as a media source, but in some ways I'm also disappointed because that is not the best solution from a TVE perspective.
    I can understand this.TVE does still store it's own recordings and do its logic. But it's not able to handle recordings that are stored outside the recording folder. And it's not able to handle the MCE formats.

Both things are supported by MP2 MediaSources: recordings stay of this type even if they are moved to other drives (as long as you keep the associated .xml) and MCE formats are working the same way on Client side as .ts from TV.

I clearly see room for improvement in the pre-configuration of TV inside MP2. I think about:
    • Predefined different (sub-)folders for single / series type recordings
    • Adding recording folder(s) as MediaSource at first run
    • Disabling TVE thumbnail building, at is is rendundant to MP2's media importing routines

StroppyOz

Portal Member
    July 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Fyi, MP2 records as you would expect into the folder defined under TV Setup for recording. However, the file still didn't show up. The only way I could see the recording was to map the recording folder as a resource.

From what I can tell, you have to map the recording folder as a media source otherwise you have no visibility of your recordings (at least I never have).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But it's not able to handle recordings that are stored outside the recording folder.
    ...but why would it need to?
    Most people would just want to have TVE using the same recording folder(s) as whatever software they were previously using. So to be clear: when somebody switches to TVE, TVE would just start adding to their existing recordings.

And it's not able to handle the MCE formats.
    ...but nor was MP2 a couple of months ago!
    The solution for TVE is the same as the solution for MP2: just a few classes to enable it to interpret the WTV and DVRMS metadata so it can be added in the database Recordings table. You chose to put that code in MP2... but no love for TVE?

Disabling TVE thumbnail building, at is is rendundant to MP2's media importing routines
    Again, I just don't understand why you'd want to do this. It makes perfect sense for TVE to have a thumbnailer. Rather than disabling TVE's thumbnailer, why don't you simply use the thumbnails that it creates?

In decisions like this it feels as if you want to minimise the role/responsibilities of TVE and have MP2 do everything, even when that isn't the best solution from a TVE or user perspective.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...but why would it need to?
    I want it, doesn't this count as well? Why should the definition of a MediaItem change only by its store location? Isn't a recording still a recording if you move it away to another drive/NAS for space reasons and still want to be able to browse it in recordings?

Generally i'ts nice to see you caring about MP2 integration. I understand your focus for putting tasks to TVE, but in whole MP2 picture it is only one of the possible sources. It's special of course, but I see it preferable to have an more universal archtitecture that handles it (feature wise) as any other source. This specially means to treat recordings already as Movie or Series (if you like to). And yes, I do want to do it. Others don't want to, they just define media source as "Video" only. That's it.

We can continue the discussion in combination with TVE3.5 with pleasure, once it is there.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I want it, doesn't this count as well? Why should the definition of a MediaItem change only by its store location? Isn't a recording still a recording if you move it away to another drive/NAS for space reasons and still want to be able to browse it in recordings?
    TVE can handle that. The recording path in the database does not have to be a currently assigned recording folder for one of the tuners. This is exactly why the database import tab in the recording section exists.

Generally i'ts nice to see you caring about MP2 integration. I understand your focus for putting tasks to TVE, but in whole MP2 picture it is only one of the possible sources.
    No, you misunderstand. I care most about usability, and in this particular case I think your choice leads to sub-optimal usability... both for MP2 and TVE.

For MP2 it is sub-optimal because the user must specify/import their recording folder(s) twice. Once in TVE config, and another time in MP2 config.
    For TVE it is sub-optimal because TVE can't avoid recording duplicates.

The solution I'd respectfully suggest is to enable TVE to import such recordings, and to have MP2 automatically add the configured tuner recording folders as media sources.

Users who are viewing this thread