media portal bootup screen & shell switch (2 Viewers)

no_idea

Portal Member
September 19, 2004
Germany
If you cut and past the registry entry into a file this can´t work.

Try

------snip-------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="C:\\Program Files\\Team Mediaportal\\Mediaportal.exe"
------snip-------

I think you need the double backslashes.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've already done this and it still doesn't work, as per the previous replies mediaportal seems to have some dependency on explorer running.

A

Anonymous

I tried editting the registry directly using regedit, I also had exception problems.

However it worked if I:

Exported the current .reg file in regedit (command under 'File')
Editted this file in Notepad with the necessary changes
Imported this modified .reg file with regedit.

Now XP boots past the login (set to do this with TweakUI) flashes past the Explorer screen/shell and straight into MP.

I have no idea what the difference would be?

A

Anonymous

argo said:
I tried editting the registry directly using regedit, I also had exception problems.

However it worked if I:

Exported the current .reg file in regedit (command under 'File')
Editted this file in Notepad with the necessary changes
Imported this modified .reg file with regedit.

Now XP boots past the login (set to do this with TweakUI) flashes past the Explorer screen/shell and straight into MP.

I have no idea what the difference would be?

:D oke that seems reasonable i have edited this part of the .reg in a text editor

"Shell"="E:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe"
e:\ is my default XP drive

But then when i import the file nothing changes ......... and yes i have saved the file before importing :lol:

what did i di wrong :?

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried leaving the shell value empty, and adding mediaportal.exe to [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Run]?

A

Anonymous

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Run] does the exact same thing as putting a shortcut in the startup folder.

Replacing the shell is a hard prospect, I'm sure if you dig through the msdn archives you can find information on requirements for shell replacement.

Also, here's an shell replacement hosted on sourceforge, you might pick it's brains for ideas. http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoshell/

A

Anonymous

I like it colored, so I mod Samsonite's bootskin.

MP_bootscreen.jpg

http://www.mediation-dresden.de/mp/MP_kai.bootskin

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
Is it in the right dimension now? I have black borders at samsonites screen, I think due to the difference between PAL resolution and 800x600.

A

Anonymous

mama said:
Is it in the right dimension now? I have black borders at samsonites screen, I think due to the difference between PAL resolution and 800x600.

A bootscreen have to be 640 x 480 x 16 colors. The black borders could be caused of tv-out.

Users who are viewing this thread