media portal bootup screen & shell switch (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

yeah if you stray from 640x480x16 (or have pallete problems with progress bars) windows will fail to boot. Merry christmas :p

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mediaportal-fr.com said:
    it's a very good boot screen!!

but after this boot screen I have the "loading pesonal setting screen" and it's a winXP screen .... anybody have an idea to change this screen ?!

Here are some tips for y'all that I documented for a project i did...

How to Hide Windows for a HTPC
    And also get faster boot times etc.
    by DMAN_LFC

1. Go into the group policy editor there is a setting to turn off the login logoff dialog boxes etc.
    Go to START and RUN, and type gpedit.msc
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System
    There you will find the following:
    “Remove Boot / Shutdown….. message” You want to enable that.
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System >Logon
    There you will find the following:
    ”Don’t display the Getting….”
    "Always use classic logon"
    You want to enable these.

2. Use Autologon – TweakUI or other applications to not prompt for a password etc.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#autologon
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Autologon.htm

3. Disable Bootscreen; add noguiboot parameter in boot.ini. Not having to load the picture also gains a little boot speed.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noguiboot /fastdetect

Note: Changing the boot logo may be a better proposition.

4. Make the login background the same as your desktop wallpaper.

5. Also the make desktop wallpaper the same as the programs intial screen (make screenshot).
    This way the first thing you'll see when the machine boots up (besides the bios) is this screen.

6. Go to the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" - and change the "Shell" value to " <program>"

7. To get rid of the blue desktop that appears momentarily go to the registry key
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
    and edit the Wallpaper string with the path of the background you use for the application, now you won't see the blue default background colour anymore

8. Modify the 'Background' String under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors
    Set this to 0 0 0 which is black. The default value is 58 110 165.

9. Turn off Windows Sounds altogether.

Fater Boot tips

1. Remove all non-essential start-up programs from the startup groups and run registry entries.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2. Reduce the number of hardware devices and subsequent drivers required to boot.

3. If possible boot off fast media i.e. DiskonChip.

4. Stop unnecessary Services
    Help & Support
    Fast User Switching
    Portable Media
    Task Scheduler
    Print Spooler etc.

5. Finally run BootVis to ensure boot files are in the optimal disk locations.

Other tips…

Try and get a motherboard or BIOS which you can easily change the BIOS logo.
    Intel has motherboards which have a Rapid Boot BIOS option to ignore the Floppy drive and Optical drive BIOS tests.
    Alternatively disable BIOS features such as Serial Ports, Parrallel ports etc.
    Also disable IDE ports & floppy controllers if not in use as well.
    If no USB devices are required during boot disable USB Legacy support.
    Make the Hard Drive the first boot device.
    Disable the network card looking for a network during boot. (GPEDIT.MSC)

DMAN

A

Anonymous

@dman:
    Excellent work! Thanx.

mama:
    Black borders, mhmmmm, black is beautiful . . .

mp_bootscreen_black.jpg

http://www.mediation-dresden.de/mp/MP_kai_black.bootskin

A

Anonymous

When you change your shell the Media Portal is trying to start but generates and error about some DirectX SDK..

Users who are viewing this thread