Media Portal for Android (1 Viewer)

hobb

Portal Member
August 31, 2006
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I agree that the future of MP is in its multiseat server client infrastructure with TV support at the server side. For this to be an option in the near future a full blown android client is necessary. A 1080p+ capable android device is minimal in size, quiet, energy efficient and cheap. A 1080p+ capable pc is the right opposite, how matter small case you go for it is magnitudes bigger than corresponding Android, especially if you want passive cooling, its noisy power hungry and expensive(!)

MediaPortal will continue to be an option for me (I have used it for 10? years) as long as it is the only client server alternative with a TV backend (there is sadly still no real music / video server support, every client must be set up individually). But as soon as such client server alternatives begin to pop up (and I am sure they will in some form) with better client support (read: runs on modern low power hardware platforms with an OS free of cost), MediaPortal will have to evolved beyond its PC base or be something of the past.

There is great value in the TV engine, extend that backend service to provide films, music etc, keep it on the microsoft platform if you wish (you need a "real" computer on the server side). Then make sure that all clients communicate through an efficient and well defined platform independent format, this opens up for clients on all types of platforms.

hobb

Portal Member
August 31, 2006
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Just had a look at the MP2 specification and it looks really promising as "everything" is moved to the server. As long as the client server protocol is open and kept simple and clean there the chance of alternative clients (e.g. on low power platforms).

I agee that x86 systems are expanding into the lowpower, small form factor segment, I have plans for a NUC myself. But I will not likely buy a second 400$ x86 client, and I wont buy a x86 tablet just for the sake of MP either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player app does not support the file type. So I installed VLC. VLC does read the ts files but the TV's remote does not allow to control basic VLC functions like FF or FR or pause etc... Tried 1-2 other apps, even...
Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
Hi, I'm wish to be able to watch the recorded TV (*.ts) files on my Sony Bravia Android TV but cannot. The default media player...
Replies
Views
I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem - unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. And Hostname is still in red. I don't understand - this is a dedicated TV computer. Unless an update did this I don't know why there's a problem in the...
I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem -...
I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
Replies
Views
I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP and set logs and rebooted and ran TVServer. Didn't do anything in regard to S Loopback adapter. I've been using NextPvr since the problem became insurmountable. Only reason it's not a good long term...
I uninstalled MP, made sure no sub folders were left n any programmes folders, changed the computer name, rebooted, installed MP...
I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not...
Replies
Views
I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I did it this way so I didn't have to edit the channel names every time tested a new TV-server install. Anyway, it works. I don't know if this would get you past the BDA driver issue. I'll provide more...
I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I...
I am brand new to MediaPortal. I have installed MP 2.4.1 on Windows 10. It is a fresh install and fully up to date. I have an...
Replies
Views
Isn't this normal? I mean perhaps you should first do some config before you can start using mediaportal?
Isn't this normal? I mean perhaps you should first do some config before you can start using mediaportal?
I recently move to Los Angeles, California and downloaded & installed Media Portal 1.32 pre Release, to find out the programs media...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom