Media Portal for Android (2 Viewers)

cableghost

November 12, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Is there any work to create a version of MP to run on Android set-top-boxes? I'm presently using XBMC on such and interested if there would be a MP version out there to offer the same.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    As MP needs .NET to work and there is no .NET Framework on Android, there is no chance to get this running. You can use aMPdroid to control and stream MP content but a full featured client isn't possible at all.

cableghost

November 12, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    M

mikehassy74

Instead of the (old) standard android title bar this new titlebar includes a home button that will bring you back to the homescreen from any screen within the app. It also has a textual description of the current screen and buttons for a) changing the client and b) accessing the application search.

spitjo

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Udine
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi.
    As MP needs .NET to work and there is no .NET Framework on Android, there is no chance to get this running. You can use aMPdroid to control and stream MP content but a full featured client isn't possible at all.

Sorry if i reply an old thread, but this is getting more actual now.
    Android hdmi systems are here, they works very well, they are cheap and consuming very few watts.
    This is the way to make a mp client.
    I understand that mp is written in .NET but there is not only .NET out there.
    Obviosly a port is not possible, this will require a whole new project. But it's definetly the time to start it.
    Ampdroid is great for phones but not for a big screen tv. Just have a look at xbmc, that is the way to go forward.
    PC mp clients must disappear, for a number of reasons but mainly for their cost and the power they eat. They are not good for the environment.
    So i think that one of the main features that mp2 MUST have is a cross Platform client, or at least a android one with a full interface, intended to be used with a remote and possibly running as launcher replacement.
    Mediaportal used to be a step ahead but answer like yours are making me think that you are not looking at the future but locked on a old platform like the traditional pc.
    Just my 2 cents

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What would the benefit in doing so bring, there is already xbmc for every device under the sun

Simply have a server running mepo for tv needs and if you want a thin client running on a piece of cardboard like rasp pi, install xbmc on it and use mepo as the tv server.

Job done

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is no chance for an official MP Andoird Client, however there are two possibilities

1. Ampdroid - as this matures, it will be more and more suitable for big screen devices that use a remote rather than a touchscreen. DieBadger is working on increasing the usability with a remote.

2. uPNP/DLNA sharing - Mediaportal 2 will feature inbuilt DLNA/uPNP server, so will work well with Smart TVs and any client that supports DLNA/uPNP sharing (which will be most thin clients)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread