MP 1.21 Volume OSD for 1039 MCE remote and MCE keyboard not working (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you select 'Master' as the volume control in MP config, does the same thing happen?
    Yes, it does. Although this time the volume OSD appeared on screen with the volume level decreased by one unit (I have my MP volume set to maximum because normally I control the volume level on my Sony analogue amplifier). So the first press of VOLUME_DOWN does seem to have worked, but then the live-TV video froze, and later the audio stopped. Logs attached. I will do the other test next.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_12_03_19__18_02.zip
      531.1 KB

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've also had one MP1.21 lockup since using the new patched DLL's, after the PC resumed from ACPI S3 sleep sate, i started MP1.21 using patched DLL's, clicked on tv guide, selected the channel and clicked ok on RC6 MCE remote, and MP locked up, i had to goto windows 7 desktop and start a task manager and kill MP.

As advised in earlier thread update, i'm using the volume 'Wave' setting.

NB: this PC ACPI S3 sleep / resume state operation has been a rock solid performer since they day i built it. Never had an issue like this in last 8 years of operation.

I've since also performed a PC OS restart, and ran through the same sequence as above a couple of times now and so far not had any re-occurrences. If the issue arises again i'll report back, as this PC ACPI S3 sleeps around 10.30 PM and resumes daily. If you don't hear any further reports means no further re-occurrences.

I'm hopeful all that was needed was a PC restart after applying the patched MP1.21 DLL's, even though that doesn't make much technical sense....as after quitting MP1.21, MP tray launcher, and stopping the MP TV service, the patched DLL's copied and replaced the original MP1.21 DLL's without any exception.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think that I may have spoken too soon. :( I reverted back to my usual Ortek VRC-1100, and now changing the volume using the Ortek causes the system to lock up.:cry:

I first tried this on the "Home" panel, and the system locked up (needed "Task Manager" to end MP).

I rebooted, and this time started live TV before pressing the VOLUME button on the Ortek. The video froze immediately, but the audio continued for a while (maybe 10-20 seconds), and then that stopped too. Again "Task Manager" was needed to end MP.

Logs attached.

Please try the attached dll's (for MP 1.21 full release only). Even if it doesn't fix the deadlock problem, there is a bit more logging which might help...

Attachments

• MP1.21_rel_Win7_audio_mixer_fix_9.zip
      1.1 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Please try the attached dll's (for MP 1.21 full release only).
    I have just tried this with the Ortek remote. It no longer locks up :), the VOLUME and MUTE buttons operate correctly :), and the volume OSD and mute icon appear and disappear correctly. :) However...

There is a strange effect when altering the volume -- when pressing a volume button repeatedly, the length of the volume bar alters correspondingly, but every n'th press causes a longer "ghost" bar to appear for a fraction of a second and then disappear. There is no consistency in the value of "n" -- values of 1, 2, 3, and 4 all occurred. I have tried this with "DefaultWideHD" and "Titan", and they both show this effect, although it is more noticeable with DWHD (it has a bigger volume bar).

Also, in executing the test actions to generate the log files, a related anomaly occurred. I started MP, displayed the EPG, started watching TV, pressed VOLUME_DOWN five times, waited for the OSD to disappear, then pressed VOLUME_UP five times. But the volume OSD re-appeared with a longer bar than it should have had -- I needed to press VOLUME_UP only twice for the bar to reach the maximum length (not sure whether this also corresponded to maximum audible volume). Logs attached.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_14_03_19__18_06.zip
      543.4 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Please try the attached dll's (for MP 1.21 full release only).
    I have just been testing the new files with the MCE RC6 remote control. They do work, but...

The typamatic action seems erratic. If I press and hold the VOLUME_DOWN button, I would expect the volume to decrease all the way to zero. This mostly does not happen -- the volume bar changes by one to several units, and then stops. I need to release the VOLUME_DOWN button and then press it again to resume changes to the volume. Same occurs with VOLUME_UP. :(

I wondered whether excessive logging was slowing down the response, so I switched off "Extended logging" for the remote, and changed the log level to ERROR for the MP client, but this did not seem to make any difference. :(

Note that the keyboard typamatic action works without problem -- holding down the "-" key does result in the volume decreasing all the way to zero. :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The typamatic action seems erratic.
    I was testing the default settings for the "Classic" profile for the MCE RC6. I have just been looking at the definitions, and the volume buttons are flagged as "Repeat" (which I think means "typamatic"). Other buttons where you would expect this are also marked as "Repeat" (e.g. UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT). But buttons where typamatic action would not be wanted are not marked as repeat (e.g. ENTER).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I have just been testing the new files with the MCE RC6 remote control. They do work, but...

The typamatic action seems erratic. If I press and hold the VOLUME_DOWN button, I would expect the volume to decrease all the way to zero. This mostly does not happen -- the volume bar changes by one to several units, and then stops. I need to release the VOLUME_DOWN button and then press it again to resume changes to the volume. Same occurs with VOLUME_UP. :(

I wondered whether excessive logging was slowing down the response, so I switched off "Extended logging" for the remote, and changed the log level to ERROR for the MP client, but this did not seem to make any difference. :(

Note that the keyboard typamatic action works without problem -- holding down the "-" key does result in the volume decreasing all the way to zero. :)

If you look at MediaPortal.log, the 'internal' volume and mute updates (i.e. when *MP* is adjusting the Windows audio mixer settings) look like this:

Code:
    [2019-03-14 17:59:46,669] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: Set new Volume = 61439, old Volume = 62914
    [2019-03-14 18:00:07,205] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: Set new IsMuted = True, old IsMuted = False

....and the 'external' changes (i.e. when MP is notified of changes to the audio mixer settings made by *other* software/drivers/OS) look like this:

Code:
    [2019-03-14 17:59:56,485] [Log    ] [23       ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: AudioEndpointVolume change, new muted = False, new volume = 58981, old muted = False, old volume = 45055

...so you can relate the remote control HID entries in the log to the volume/mute changes.

I *think* RC6 log you posted earlier doesn't show any 'internal' volume changes, so MP wasn't actioning the volume up/down commands from the remote internally.

(The Ortek VRC-1100 remote is creating *both* kinds of log entries, so it looks like it's directly manipulating the Windows audio mixer settings *and* the volume/mute commands from it are being actioned internally by MP - I think this is what was causing the lock-ups, and may be causing the odd behaviour you reported in post #46).

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The Ortek VRC-1100 remote is creating *both* kinds of log entries, so it looks like it's directly manipulating the Windows audio mixer settings *and* the volume/mute commands from it are being actioned internally by MP
    I played around with this again this morning, and stumbled upon a test sequence that clearly illustrates the problem, and which is repeatable (logs attached). The test case is this:

(1) Exit MP with MP volume set to maximum.
    (2) Start MP.
    (3) Display EPG.
    (4) Select a programme to watch and start watching TV.
    (5) Press and hold the VOLUME_DOWN button on the Ortek. The typamatic action works correctly, the volume bar in the OSD gradually reduces in length to zero, and the audible sound level gradually reduces to silence.
    (6) Press and release the VOLUME_UP button repeatedly, about once per second. The volume bar increases in length by one unit for each press, reaching maximum after 16 presses. But the audible sound level is very much less than the level I started with in (1).
    (7) Press and hold the VOLUME_UP button. The volume bar in the OSD does not change (it is already at maximum length), but the audible sound level increases to the level I started with in (1).

The log file shows many double entries for the audio mixer, but not all of the time. During step (7), the log has lines like this:

Code:
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,949] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "786888" not mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,950] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "175" mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,951] [Log    ] [8        ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: AudioEndpointVolume change, new muted = False, new volume = 27525, old muted = False, old volume = 65535
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,972] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "786888" not mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,973] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "175" mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:40,974] [Log    ] [8        ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: AudioEndpointVolume change, new muted = False, new volume = 28835, old muted = False, old volume = 65535
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,012] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "786888" not mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,012] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "175" mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,013] [Log    ] [8        ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: AudioEndpointVolume change, new muted = False, new volume = 30146, old muted = False, old volume = 65535
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,051] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "786888" not mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,051] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Centarea: Command "175" mapped
    [2019-03-16 09:08:41,052] [Log    ] [8        ] [DEBUG] - Mixer: AudioEndpointVolume change, new muted = False, new volume = 31457, old muted = False, old volume = 65535

Notice that the "old volume" level is always 65535 in this section of the log, but the "new volume" level is increasing by about 1300 for each log entry. It looks as though there are two separate memory locations that are being used to store the current volume level, but they have got out of step for some reason.

One point (you may already be aware of this): the Ortek transmits keyboard shortcuts for WMC. Some of these are identical between WMC and MP, but others are not. In addition, some of these are recognised by Windows itself (i.e. when WMC is not running), for example VOLUME, MUTE, ENTER. Finally, there is the mapping layer for the "Centarea HID" that can alter the meaning of each button. What I don't know is what happens to the button presses in any particular case. Maybe one or more of these:

Ortek --> Windows receives keyboard shortcut
    Ortek --> Centarea HID --> (no change) --> MP receives keyboard shortcut.
    Ortek --> Centarea HID --> config definition --> MP internal function invoked (e.g. display EPG)

I still have my test system for MP 1.20 around, so I tried that (it has some modified DLLs; I don't recollect what changes they contain, but it may have been your EPG fixes). The test described above does not exhibit the problem behaviour when used with the Ortek. Do you want logs from this system, for comparison purposes?

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_16_03_19__09_09.zip
      541.4 KB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    New version of the bug fix to try - this has a different locking/access arbitration mechanism in the mixer handler, so it needs some 'lockup' testing please :)

One point (you may already be aware of this): the Ortek transmits keyboard shortcuts for WMC.

I wasn't aware, but I suspected that was probably the case from the behaviour you described. (I don't/never have used any 'MCE' IR remotes directly with MP - I've always controlled MP via EventGhost and a PS3 Bluetooth remote).

The audio 'mixer' control/status code in MP doesn't know anything about remotes etc. it just gets told what to do from somewhere higher up in MP and tracks certain things in the Windows sound mixer.

Attachments

• MP1.21_rel_Win7_audio_mixer_fix_16.zip
      1.1 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom