MySQL Set Password Error on Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

danzx2

Portal Pro
May 25, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone help me in finding where the hidden files are on Windows 7 to remove to cure this issue?

Thanks
Dan

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi danzx2

You can find the TV Server database connection information in the Gentle.config file which is in your TV Server install folder. You can edit the file with any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.). Look for the following part:

<DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString="Server=YourServerNameHere;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=UserNameIsHere;Password=PasswordIsHere;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=300;" />

If that doesn't help or wasn't what you were looking for then you really need to explain the problem with more detail - I'm completely guessing here because you haven't given me very much information! ;)

mm

danzx2

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Sorry, I am having an issue when installing MYSQL (when installing MP1.2) as it gives the error 'MySQL Set Password Error 1' and it stops the install. I have deleted the MYSQL folder from Program Files then rebooted but still get the same error. Are any files hidden elsewhere?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmm, that's a bit of a strange one - I've never come across anything like this before.

Are you upgrading from MP 1.1.x or 1.2.0a?
    Are you running the installer with administrator privileges?

mm

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Hi,

Can someone help me in finding where the hidden files are on Windows 7 to remove to cure this issue?

Thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan,

I've had this problem before, I could only solve it by:

Completely uninstalling MySQL (Programs & features -> remove)

Once uninstalled navigate to c:\programdata

There shoud be a MySQL folder in here that holds all your databases/user information. Delete this folder (note you will lose everything MySQL has stored)

Then try re-installing and you should be ok.

danzx2

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks both,

This was following a fresh install of Windows 7. I installed MP1.2 fine but had to recover to a day where it wasn't installed and have had the problem since then. I'll make sure I run it as administrator later

c:\programdata doesn't exist. The MySQL folder is in Program files. I removed this but had the same problem.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Thanks both,

This was following a fresh install of Windows 7. I installed MP1.2 fine but had to recover to a day where it wasn't installed and have had the problem since then. I'll make sure I run it as administrator later

c:\programdata doesn't exist. The MySQL folder is in Program files. I removed this but had the same problem.

Yea the system restore will trigger the problem as MySql will no longer be installed but the data files for it will still exist. MediaPortal will then not be able to set the password as the data files from the previous install still exist.

As Vasilich says the programdata folder will be there, but you might have to manually key "c:\programdata" into windows explorer's address bar (or enable "Show hidden files & folders")

Users who are viewing this thread