*ORIGINAL THREAD* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather (2 Viewers)

Psycho Reptile

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2006
    Cambridge, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well then I don't know what it was... but it's working again and (I've changed none of my skin code...) all I did was install the MPE1 :confused:

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Recently added items

Hi edsche,

thx for this very useful plugin, I have an idea proposal to enhance the user experience in MP and I think it might fit within the scope of your plugin.

I found this very useful when I toyed around with the Boxee Media Center. The startscreen in this application has a "Recently added" section where you can see items (series, movies, music) that have been newly added to the application. I think this would come in handy for MediaPortal as well because the user wouldn't have to open the different plugins (MovingPictures, MPTvSeries, MyMusic,...) to open new items, he can do it directly from the home screen.

So while I haven't really thought about a concrete implementation, here is how I think this could be handled:
    • The InfoService plugin offers a generic interface that can be used by plugins to send new items
    • Items contains Text/Image (Episode banner, movie banner, album art,...) and the Id of the item and the plugin that sent the item
    • Skin developers can place these items on the homescreen (or any other screen)
    • If a user clicks on one item, the plugin is opened and the selected item shown

From my (limited) knowledge of the MediaPortal code I think the main difficulties is the communication between the plugins and to open a plugin with a parameter (the selected item).

And for a better demonstration of the concept I made a quick (and not too well done ;)) mockup using the BlackGlass Skin:

blackglass_mockup.png

What do you (and others) think?

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I really like your idea. I must look how this was done and work in boxee. I think infoservice needs an open interface that other plugins can use, like a plugin for a plugin :> I don't have knowledge about that but this should not be the problem.

But at the moment i have no idea to achive this.
    • Should the other plugin developers add a reference to the infoservice.dll, so that the can use the recently added function?
    • Should the infoservice plugin look for updates of the other plugins?
    • Other possibilities?

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    How about GUI messages?

You could define a standard set of options that a plugin has to use and maybe provide a sourcefile that implements sending of messages.

Something like this:
    Code:
              GUIMessage msg = new GUIMessage(GUIMessage.MessageType.GUI_MSG_NOTIFY, INFO_SERVICE_ID, this.GetID,
                                     ParentID, newItemId, someInt, 
                                     new string[] { "Name of Item", "Description of item", "Path to image" });
              message = new GUIMessage(GUIMessage.MessageType.GUI_MSG_CLICKED, WindowId, GetID, ParentID, 0, 0, null);
              GUIGraphicsContext.SendMessage(message);

Your plugin would just have to listen for messages with the given id:

Code:
            public override bool OnMessage(GUIMessage message)
            {
                if (message.Message == GUIMessage.MessageType.GUI_MSG_NOTIFY)
                {//add item to recently added list

}
                return base.OnMessage(message);
            }

I have no idea if this could work or if it would produce any sideeffects (it would probably be better to choose a different id ;)) but it would minimize the effort for plugins (no dlls to include).

Jean-Marc

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi everybody!

Plug in working very well with the black glass basichome screen.

Just one request (I didn't find the answer into the forum, but I didn't read the 32 pages): why it is not possible now to select the city inside the plugin itself as it was possible in the previous versions? Because if in the "weather" section you have different towns, info service will give the information of the last consulted city at the next restart of MP. I would like infoservice always give the info of the city where MP is installed!

:D

Question: how is it possible to display the T° and the picture of the actual condition (ie: T° inside the picture?)

DieBagger: nice idea but if you add, let say, 50 new musics, how this will be displayed?

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi edsche

Thanks for all your efforts/PM's the other day but I'm still not having any luck getting the pics to appear for the weather (I was waiting for them to magically start working :D ). I haven't finished laying out the following screen but the InfoService code will be fine because it is copied from Monochrome 3. As you can see I'm still only getting the weather pic for today.

Also the temps listed are for Germany on the BasicHome screen (I changed the Weather plugin back to Auckland, New Zealand over a week ago :mad:) but on the actual Weather page all pics and temps shown correct for Auckland.... Any ideas?

Thanks

Bleazle

P.S. - I also like the idea of this plugin listing new files added so +1 :)

Attachments

• weather 1.jpg
      weather 1.jpg
      44.6 KB
    • weather 2.jpg
      weather 2.jpg
      45.2 KB

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    When I switch location from one city to another in MediaPortal, temperature, wind, humidity etc. is updated. But #infoservice.weather.location stays the same.

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi edsche

Thanks for all your efforts/PM's the other day but I'm still not having any luck getting the pics to appear for the weather (I was waiting for them to magically start working :D ). I haven't finished laying out the following screen but the InfoService code will be fine because it is copied from Monochrome 3. As you can see I'm still only getting the weather pic for today.

Also the temps listed are for Germany on the BasicHome screen (I changed the Weather plugin back to Auckland, New Zealand over a week ago :mad:) but on the actual Weather page all pics and temps shown correct for Auckland.... Any ideas?

Thanks

Bleazle

I have no idea why this happens. The strange thing is that the temps (even after a restart) are from germany. You've change the city in the medieportal config app, not in mediaportal itself, right? If yes, you can check the mediaportal.xml and look for the weather section.

Here is mine:

Code:
      <section name="weather">
        <entry name="speed">0</entry>
        <entry name="temperature">F</entry>
        <entry name="refresh">60</entry>
        <entry name="city0">Ulm, Germany</entry>
        <entry name="code0">GMXX0131</entry>
        <entry name="sat0">
        </entry>
    At code0 there should be the Auckland weather code. If not there is a problem with your mediaportal. InfoService gets the info, which city should be used, from there.

The log you send me a couple of days back, says to me that the paths which should be in the image properties, are right and "should" be filled. Should, because mediaportal does the filling of the properties, not infoservice. Infoservice gives only the "text" which goes to the property.

Fafnir in the monochrome forum has the same problem as you after he changed something in the monochrome xml's.
    Here is the link: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/monochrome-249/starting-over-70957/index9.html

When I switch location from one city to another in MediaPortal, temperature, wind, humidity etc. is updated. But #infoservice.weather.location stays the same.
    Wait for the new release, i've reworked weather and the feed section.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi edsche

Thanks

Bleazle

I have no idea why this happens. The strange thing is that the temps (even after a restart) are from germany. You've change the city in the medieportal config app, not in mediaportal itself, right? If yes, you can check the mediaportal.xml and look for the weather section.

Here is mine:

Code:
      <section name="weather">
        <entry name="speed">0</entry>
        <entry name="temperature">F</entry>
        <entry name="city0">Ulm, Germany</entry>
        <entry name="code0">GMXX0131</entry>
        <entry name="sat0">
        </entry>
    At code0 there should be the Auckland weather code. If not there is a problem with your mediaportal. InfoService gets the info, which city should be used, from there.

The log you send me a couple of days back, says to me that the paths which should be in the image properties, are right and "should" be filled. Should, because mediaportal does the filling of the properties, not infoservice. Infoservice gives only the "text" which goes to the property.

Fafnir in the monochrome forum has the same problem as you after he changed something in the monochrome xml's.
    Here is the link: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/monochrome-249/starting-over-70957/index9.html

Yep, I changed the setting in the Weather plugin config - here's my code - looks OK...

Code:
    <section name="weather">
        <entry name="speed">3</entry>
        <entry name="temperature">C</entry>
        <entry name="city0">Auckland, New Zealand</entry>
        <entry name="code0">NZXX0003</entry>
        <entry name="sat0">
        </entry>

Looks like Fafnir hasn't sorted his problem yet, just got fanart working in Monochrome (which, I agree with you looks pretty good..).

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Fafnir changed the weather icons and then i got the same problem like you.

I tested now everything. And i can't even debug this because i havn't got the problem :p Do you use the test version i've send you? When you start mediaportal you get instant the false temp values?

Users who are viewing this thread