*ORIGINAL THREAD* InfoService v1.6 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather (1 Viewer)

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
January 7, 2007
Ulm
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: InfoService v1.5 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [21-03-2010] *UPDATED*

I got a question regarding weather.
There is a property:
Code:
#infoservice.weather.today.img.small.filenamewithoutext
So I can see that it's possible values are 1....47.
What is the meaning of thiese values?

I am asking 'cause I am going to replace standard weather backdrops
It returns the image number for the today weather. Every weather situation on weather.com has an image number. For example: 32 would be "Sunny".

If you look in your MediaPortal/weather folder, there are two subfolders:

• 64x64: The smaller weather images
  • 128x128: The bigger weather images: Mostly weather background images

Inside these folder are numbered images. This numbers are same which is returned from the image properties like #infoservice.weather.today.img.small.filenamewithoutext.

So if you want the today weather image shown on your skin you can use:
Code:
<imagePath>C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Weather\128x128\#infoservice.weather.today.img.small.filenamewithoutext.jpg<imagePath>

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Re: InfoService v1.5 - Feed reader/Twitter reader and weather [21-03-2010] *UPDATED*

I know it but do not know which value corresponds to which weather.
    I need a table like:
    1. rain.
    2. sunny.
    3. earthquake.
    4. tornado.
    Like this :)

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I need a table like:
    1. rain.
    2. sunny.
    3. earthquake.
    4. tornado.
    I don't know too. Perhaps there is a list on National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report. Why do you need these values? The plugin only gets the numbers of each day/weather from an xml file from weather.com.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Hi,

I copy paste a request for resolve issue of lag when we play video in MP or external player, Homey has this issue and find a solution but the best is to add this fonction that Armandp should recommand :)

I ask here and i hope it's the right place so is it possible to implement OnPlaybackStarted/Stopped handlers to pause it when video is play or when external player is started.

Why ?

With InfoService plugin, it's doing updates every 30 mins to get the RSS feeds updated but i couldn't understand why that would lag the process or effect the playback of the Bluray no CPU / RAM spikes, network was using arounr 47 Mbps, so enough left then i noticed something in the log:

2-5-2010 15:43:33 | Feed | Info | Try to get feed images either from cache or from download links
    2-5-2010 15:43:33 | Feed | Warning | Error downloading feed[nu.nl - Algemeen] image from feed url . Feed has no image
    2-5-2010 15:43:55 | Feed | Info | Parsing RSS feed from url nu.nl - Algemeen successfull

and there is a 22 seconds delay, so i downloaded an 150x150 logo of the feed, and named it 'feedImage' and put it in the dir of the feed and after this :

2-5-2010 20:00:34 | Feed | Info | Try to get feed images either from cache or from download links
    2-5-2010 20:00:34 | Feed | Warning | Error downloading feed[nu.nl - Algemeen] image from feed url . Feed has no image
    2-5-2010 20:00:35 | Weather | Info | Downloaded/Checked successful the weather data for location id NLXX0023

now no more delays.... that entire process now takes 1 sec max and hasn't got any effect on the external player anymore just watched an entire movie without 1 hickup or freeze, so i'm happy ;)

Thank you,

I report just the issue and how it is solve that doesn't come from me :).
    Cheers,
    Seb.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

I need a table like:
    1. rain.
    2. sunny.
    3. earthquake.
    4. tornado.
    I don't know too. Perhaps there is a list on National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report. Why do you need these values? The plugin only gets the numbers of each day/weather from an xml file from weather.com.
    I am using XFactor skin which provides backdrops for each weather condition. I want to change these backdrops (which comes with XFactor skin) 'cause do not like some of them. That's why I need to know significance of values.
    But I found a solution: all these weather conditions are present in C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\weather\64x64 as png-files, so I can investigate which value what means :)

I found an explanation of each value:
    Problems with Weather Fanart - XBMC Community Forum

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi,

I copy paste a request for resolve issue of lag when we play video in MP or external player, Homey has this issue and find a solution but the best is to add this fonction that Armandp should recommand :)

I ask here and i hope it's the right place so is it possible to implement OnPlaybackStarted/Stopped handlers to pause it when video is play or when external player is started.

Why ?

With InfoService plugin, it's doing updates every 30 mins to get the RSS feeds updated but i couldn't understand why that would lag the process or effect the playback of the Bluray no CPU / RAM spikes, network was using arounr 47 Mbps, so enough left then i noticed something in the log:

2-5-2010 15:43:33 | Feed | Info | Try to get feed images either from cache or from download links
    2-5-2010 15:43:33 | Feed | Warning | Error downloading feed[nu.nl - Algemeen] image from feed url . Feed has no image
    2-5-2010 15:43:55 | Feed | Info | Parsing RSS feed from url nu.nl - Algemeen successfull

and there is a 22 seconds delay, so i downloaded an 150x150 logo of the feed, and named it 'feedImage' and put it in the dir of the feed and after this :

2-5-2010 20:00:34 | Feed | Info | Try to get feed images either from cache or from download links
    2-5-2010 20:00:34 | Feed | Warning | Error downloading feed[nu.nl - Algemeen] image from feed url . Feed has no image
    2-5-2010 20:00:35 | Weather | Info | Downloaded/Checked successful the weather data for location id NLXX0023

now no more delays.... that entire process now takes 1 sec max and hasn't got any effect on the external player anymore just watched an entire movie without 1 hickup or freeze, so i'm happy ;)

Thank you,

I report just the issue and how it is solve that doesn't come from me :).
    Cheers,
    Seb.

Mh, i can't believe that the update process lags the movie playback. The feed, weather and twitter process a running in a separate thread which means it is not in touch with the MePo process. All InfoService services are running side by side in their own thread. Also the three threads (feed, twitter, weather) are running in the lowest cpu priority.

And if you copy the feedImage.png into the cache folder, then this will not change the logic of InfoService. As you see in the log messages. Here is the logic of download the feed image or not:

1. Check if there is a feed image in the feed xml
    2. if yes, check the cache if it's already downloaded (if the image is cached, load it. If no, download it).
    3. if no, write the message "2-5-2010 15:43:33 | Feed | Warning | Error downloading feed[nu.nl - Algemeen] image from feed url . Feed has no image", in the log
    4. Now the feed item images are downloaded/loaded
    5. ...

So as you can see, InfoService will use the same logic, even if there is a feedImage.png in the cache, because there is no feed image in the feed xml (Point 1). Hopefully you can follow me. It's hard to describe that in English for me.

Can you reproduce your problem? If yes, enable the debug option in InfoService and give me the log. Then we can see where the real lag is :D

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Hi Chris,

i've ask to Homey for supply Debug Log.

That i understand the lag appear apparently when the plugin try to download the feedimage.png (it didn't succeed to download and that take ~20 seconds).

The solution to create the .png bypass the download, like it's in a cache, the process is finish in couple a second.
    I hope that the debug log tell more :)

Thx,
    Seb.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi Edsche,

It took me about a day to figure out that it was InfoService which was causing the lag. I've tested it and every time the playback started lagging (using PDVD10 as external player within MovingPictures) the InfoService.log got filled trying to update the feed. At first i didn't looked at it because i also noticed no CPU / RAM spike so it doesn't take system resources at all, but for some reason it was still lagging or even freezing my player for a few seconds.
    After adding the 'feedImage' into the feed folder, i noticed everything went way smoother and the entire process only took about 1 second and the delays were gone, so was my lag / freeze of PDVD.

I'll try to reproduce the error and get you the debug logs. ;)

** EDIT **
    Might be usefull to know that i didn't only put the 'feedImage' in the folder, but also assigned that as feedimage in InfoService plugin setup.

** EDIT2 **
    Before i started to reproduce, i removed the 'feedImage' from the feed directory.
    It seems that the lag/freeze is happening when InfoService tries to load the cached image.

3 big hicksup @ 22:22:13, 22:22:24 & 22:22:35

logs attached

edsche

Community Plugin Dev
    January 7, 2007
    Ulm
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi Edsche,

It took me about a day to figure out that it was InfoService which was causing the lag. I've tested it and every time the playback started lagging (using PDVD10 as external player within MovingPictures) the InfoService.log got filled trying to update the feed. At first i didn't looked at it because i also noticed no CPU / RAM spike so it doesn't take system resources at all, but for some reason it was still lagging or even freezing my player for a few seconds.
    After adding the 'feedImage' into the feed folder, i noticed everything went way smoother and the entire process only took about 1 second and the delays were gone, so was my lag / freeze of PDVD.

I'll try to reproduce the error and get you the debug logs. ;)

** EDIT **
    Might be usefull to know that i didn't only put the 'feedImage' in the folder, but also assigned that as feedimage in InfoService plugin setup.

** EDIT2 **
    Before i started to reproduce, i removed the 'feedImage' from the feed directory.
    It seems that the lag/freeze is happening when InfoService tries to load the cached image.

3 big hicksup @ 22:22:13, 22:22:24 & 22:22:35

logs attached
    Thanks homey,

Why are the application data of MP on a net drive? I'm pretty sure this could be your problem. Normally all application data should be on the hard drive.

Your log was very useful ;) i think i found out now, how i can improve the loading time of images. But i don't know if this also can fix your lag :/

Don't know why you use a net drive for the application data, but i would suggest to save all application data on the main hard drive or is there a special reason for this?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Why are the application data of MP on a net drive? I'm pretty sure this could be your problem. Normally all application data should be on the hard drive.

Your log was very useful ;) i think i found out now, how i can improve the loading time of images. But i don't know if this also can fix your lag :/

Don't know why you use a net drive for the application data, but i would suggest to save all application data on the main hard drive or is there a special reason for this?

it's not the appdata, it's only a centralised database (so only 'database' & 'thumbs' folder) so multiple clients can use the same database.

Well, my Blurays are on a server also, and streaming those take 35/45 Mbps on a gbit network, so i can't see why those tiny images would freeze up the playback.

Users who are viewing this thread