RED DOT recording state doesn't appear in video fullscreen playing (1 Viewer)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    It's not that important.
    What about "OngoingRecordings" plugin name ?
    Doing what LMH does today (more with your changes but, dedied for the recording state) and see if it can be expanded in the future ?

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep, I agree with.
    If MP devs really agree to take a bit of time to discuss of this sorts of improvments.
    Otherwise, you can put it in the trashcan...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Otherwise, you can put it in the trashcan...
    :( :( :(

My choice (in decreasing order of preference) would be:

(1) To have the red-dot function part of the MP base product. In this way, the function is available to all MP users without having to install any plugins. But we must be realistic; with so few developers, this may never happen.

(2) To have the red-dot function part of an official MP plugin. In this way, the function is available to every MP user who wants to use it. @ajs 's changes to LMH seem to provide this. (I need to do more testing, to see if I can reproduce the problem that @catavolt found.)

(3) To have the red-dot function part of a new plugin that implements only the red-dot function. This keeps the function self-contained, but means that the user has yet another plugin to install and worry about. To me, this does not seem to have any advantages over (2). Also, LMH was already providing info about active recordings, so LMH seems like a natural fit for the red-dot function (and @ajs 's changes seem to have made it work correctly, whereas previously it did not).

(4) To have the red-dot function part of a single-user's private build of the MP source. I suspect that this occurs when a user wants a particular facility, but the view of the development team is that it does not fit in with MP conventions (either internally or externally), or "TV Server" is in the universally-despised code freeze, or that it is a low priority change that is unlikely ever to be implemented. The problem is that this solution is available only to the author, or to the few who might find a relevant zip file in a thread. And there is the ongoing problem of maintenance, with these private builds becoming incompatible with new releases of MP. The "Sky EPG" build of MP is like this -- it seems to stop working with every new release of MP, and the author has long since moved on to other things, inconveniencing those users who were relying on that build.

Of the choices presented, I think that (2) is the best compromise, provided that it can be made to work correctly in all cases (still testing that). Or, to put that another way, I think that (2) is the "least-worst" compromise.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I suggested how to make point 1 (above) I just don’t build a TV part, all the time there are some errors.

--
    WBR, ajs :):whistle::coffee:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    If MP devs really agree to take a bit of time to discuss of this sorts of improvments.

Sorry, I don't understand - what has that comment got to do with moving the discussion of new/changed functionality in MP1 into a more suitable part of the forum?

MP is open source, so you are free to modify it and create a 'pull request' on GitHub for consideration by the MP1 devs if you want to.

But you don't tell the MP1 devs what to do and what to work on - that is their decision as individuals (we're all volunteers, giving our free time to the project, where and when we can).

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    What I say is yes, you can move a part in another part of the forum (general developpement).
    I try to know if MP devs are interested with this discussion.
    If not then, it's not worth it.
    I know MP is open source.
    There are more important things in the real life than create a GitHub pulll request.
    I don't want (and I do not have to) tell MP devs what they have to do.
    I'm not a director nor a team leader or something like that.
    MP devs are not alone, I also spent many of my free time for MP.
    I don't know what is planned.
    Is MP1 will continue to be improved/maintained ?
    I just alerted with the problem doing some of "IsRecorded" stuff inside an external plugin could have bad side effect if future developpement and it's of course not against ajs.
    More if we have other things like that or for example, if ajs decided a day, to be a "retired team member".
    So the most interesting thing (imho) is not adding 3 lines in MP code but, how would it be the best way to do it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I try to know if MP devs are interested with this discussion.

I didn't comment on this thread for while (after it started), to see if any other software dev was interested in modifying MP (I knew I wasn't the best person to help, as it's not the area of the MP codebase I know anything about). When no one else responded, I thought I'd try to help and answer some of your questions.

I don't know what is planned.

I don't either, beyond what I'm currently working on (which is mostly stuff that has been floating around as patches which hadn't been included in TV Server due to a long 'code freeze' on it that has now been removed).

Is MP1 will continue to be improved/maintained ?

If people want to do it. There is more active development happening on MP2 today than MP1 (and MP2 has a larger dev team than MP1).

So the most interesting thing (imho) is not adding 3 lines in MP code but, how would it be the best way to do it.

I'm not sure if there are any currently active MP1 devs who could answer that without spending time finding out how that part of MP1 works. If it's only 'adding 3 lines in MP code' why not just do that yourself and try it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom